Federal Guard Dog ammo
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Federal Guard Dog ammo

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimmyp7162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 118
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Anyone have hands on experience with this?

Last edited by jimmyp7162; 07-25-2013 at 06:07 AM.
jimmyp7162 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 630
Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Nope, but I have read a lot about it and plan on using it in my LC9. Always have been concerned about HP cycling issues in subcompact guns. This ammo solves the problem. Not going to pay huge online markups to get it though. HydraShok will do just fine until then.
__________________
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. My rod is a GLOCK and it comforts me
danolator is offline  
rn-cindy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

JimmyP see my answer to you in the other thread.(sry I don't have any of the 45's but i'll ask my guys who shoot .45 and see what they say)

Dan, I have an LC9 also(see my Review) and I have my concerns about ANY HP or +P ammo in the LC9 considering the manual's warnings. That being said I have put a Little (less then 15 rds. out of about 1100 rds. since buying theLC9 last spring) through mine with only 1 jam(FTE) and that was the 1st time out with it. Last trip I did put some std. velocity JHP hand loads(3 Mags-21 Rds.) with no hang ups...so i keep two of my 7 Mags for it loaded with them...I can ask my friend for his Load dada if you like? I have 5 Std. 7 rd Mags, 3 with Finger Ext. and 2 flush, and finally got 2 of the new 9 Rd. ext mags from Ruger Last week...(shopruger.com) they still might be filling back orders....

Next range trip I will be doing a short "Test" of Short-med. range Targets shot at with 5 different .9mm SD rounds, and for baseline, the Federal Std. Vel Hp's(124 Gr.Hi-Shok) and Remington Or Winchester 115 FMJ against the Federal HYDRA Shok, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot. & GDR Frangible Hp's for the basis of a future review here. All will Be shot from My Ruger SR9 & one of my "92's",...at 30 Ft.(10 Yds)....3 rds. each of each ammo through each gun,..2 3 shot groups each ammo,..36 rds. total. The SR9's Barrel is 4-1/8th Inches and the "92's" are std sized 4.9 inch Barrels. Looking for Group size and "Wound Channel" Size. We may continue the Test Outdoors with 3 more rds. each Ammo on Melons @15 yds. from a table & rest.
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator
Nope, but I have read a lot about it and plan on using it in my LC9. Always have been concerned about HP cycling issues in subcompact guns. This ammo solves the problem. Not going to pay huge online markups to get it though. HydraShok will do just fine until then.

I cycled two boxes of guard dog through my lc9. Not a problem at all. I think it actually likes them makes it awful snappy with those at least. But guard dog has ran the best out of any HP in mine.
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
JimmyP see my answer to you in the other thread.(sry I don't have any of the 45's but i'll ask my guys who shoot .45 and see what they say)

Dan, I have an LC9 also(see my Review) and I have my concerns about ANY HP or +P ammo in the LC9 considering the manual's warnings. That being said I have put a Little (less then 15 rds. out of about 1100 rds. since buying theLC9 last spring) through mine with only 1 jam(FTE) and that was the 1st time out with it. Last trip I did put some std. velocity JHP hand loads(3 Mags-21 Rds.) with no hang ups...so i keep two of my 7 Mags for it loaded with them...I can ask my friend for his Load dada if you like? I have 5 Std. 7 rd Mags, 3 with Finger Ext. and 2 flush, and finally got 2 of the new 9 Rd. ext mags from Ruger Last week...(shopruger.com) they still might be filling back orders....

Next range trip I will be doing a short "Test" of Short-med. range Targets shot at with 5 different .9mm SD rounds, and for baseline, the Federal Std. Vel Hp's(124 Gr.Hi-Shok) and Remington Or Winchester 115 FMJ against the Federal HYDRA Shok, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot. & GDR Frangible Hp's for the basis of a future review here. All will Be shot from My Ruger SR9 & one of my "92's",...at 30 Ft.(10 Yds)....3 rds. each of each ammo through each gun,..2 3 shot groups each ammo,..36 rds. total. The SR9's Barrel is 4-1/8th Inches and the "92's" are std sized 4.9 inch Barrels. Looking for Group size and "Wound Channel" Size. We may continue the Test Outdoors with 3 more rds. each Ammo on Melons @15 yds. from a table & rest.
9 round mag? does it make a huge difference, because the 7 round fits my hand perfect would like two more rounds just don't want the bulkness.
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

9 round mag? does it make a huge difference, because the 7 round fits my hand perfect with ext. Would like two more rounds just don't want the bulkness.
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,556
Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Its a very good in home defense load as the bullets tends to not do well after hitting a wall. Not likely to got thru most of your house or neighbors apartment !!
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

9 round mag? does it make a huge difference, because the 7 round fits my hand perfect would like two more rounds just don't want the bulkness.
Depends on how big your hands are! I have stubby but Thick hands(one reason I also Play Gibson & not too much Fender because of Neck size of the Guitars,..but I did buy my first Fender last week, a Carbonita series II Tele with semi-hollow Body and 2 humbuckers!) so the 7 Rd w/Ext also fits me well,..Put an empty 9 rd. in and gripped it,..not much difference because the 9th rd. is actually partly in the rest when the mag. is fully loaded....if anything it makes for a smoother Draw from a pocket holster which is what I carry mostly( either in a "Man Purse" or my front right pants pocket)......
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Its a very good in home defense load as the bullets tends to not do well after hitting a wall. Not likely to got thru most of your house or neighbors apartment !!
If I can find some before next trip I will add it into the test!! I only have some in .357....
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Depends on how big your hands are! I have stubby but Thick hands(one reason I also Play Gibson & not too much Fender because of Neck size of the Guitars,..but I did buy my first Fender last week, a Carbonita series II Tele with semi-hollow Body and 2 humbuckers!) so the 7 Rd w/Ext also fits me well,..Put an empty 9 rd. in and gripped it,..not much difference because the 9th rd. is actually partly in the rest when the mag. is fully loaded....if anything it makes for a smoother Draw from a pocket holster which is what I carry mostly( either in a "Man Purse" or my front right pants pocket)......
Dr football do you have picture of magazine I can't find one?
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Federal Guard Dog ammo danolator General Handgun Discussion 8 06-07-2013 09:39 AM
Guard Dog Home Defense Ammo? steve12762 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 2 02-07-2012 04:12 PM
Federal, Guard Dog rebel619 Ammunition & Reloading 5 11-16-2011 01:43 PM
Federal 55 gr barnes tsx ammo ARrgv Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 0 09-15-2011 05:01 AM
Any Thoughts on Federal 9mm Ammo? metweezer Ammunition & Reloading 20 06-12-2010 03:35 AM



Newest Threads