favorite carry location

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > favorite carry location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default favorite carry location

What is everyones favorite place to carry concealed, why do you use that location on your body? Do most people use a holster or not use one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Strong side FBI cant when concealed, USGI shoulder holster when out in the woods.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cheap holster I cut the bottom out and cut off the snap down on the top. Best holster I ever owned... and I own a few. Fast to draw and fits my gun perfectly.

Glock 40 goes on my strong side.

My 22 lr 5 shot derringer goes in my right pocket.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #4

Yes, you should use a holster. Right-side @ 4:00 o'clock and IWB is preferred. I'm ambidextrous and, sometimes, carry left-side @ 8:00 o'clock. The only problem with left-side carry is that I'm unable to present the weapon as easily or direct the muzzle as well for my left side while I'm sitting down behind the wheel of a vehicle.

One of my acquaintances is a left-handed FBI agent (now retired) who dealt with this disadvantage by carrying his backup revolver on the inside of his left leg.

I agree with the others: A 15 degree forward cant is better than straight up and down for anyone who spends a lot of time sitting down. My suggestion would, also, be to stay away from crossdraw or SOB holsters because each has significant disadvantages to the user.

Here's one of my everyday IWB carry rigs.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #5

i carry a shoulder holster considering i only have a crotch rocket for transportaion. so i always have a jacket on for easy concealment. ive only had my chl for a few months so thats my fav so far i think my other choice would be OWB on my back

Old 06-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwhip23 View Post
.... I think my other choice would be OWB on my back
Don't slip and fall backwards - Ouch!

(And, if I ever need a gun in a hurry, I hope you're the one who's standing in front of me when I decide to make my move, too.)

Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8872 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Left side, cross draw, IWB, has a cant about 25 degrees, thumb break retainer. Conceals well, retains weapon well, quick access. When in a vehicle, strong side holster does not give me good access. However, that is a small 357- other folks, other guns, other answers, but YES- you should use a holster. Even in a pocket carry, you can get enuff crud (lint, Frito crumbs, etc) to interfere with the function of the weapon. Also keeps you from dropping weapon onto the floor in a bathroom stall, and having it slide 2 or 3 stalls over (Say, wouldja mind sliding that back over here?)

Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #8

Default Concealed-Carry location

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
What is everyones favorite place to carry concealed, why do you use that location on your body? Do most people use a holster or not use one?
My off-duty/CCW rides in a strong-side, forward-cant, holster.(S&W 66)
Reason: the mind reacts to threats by telling the muscles to reach for a weapon in the same place that the duty weapon is located. You don't want the hesitation of having to "think" where your weapon is before you reach for it.
I also carry a 45LC/.410 deringer in a SOB, horizontal carry holster.
I have been an officer for 27 years, and these have served me well.

It would be assinine to carry a weapon NOT in a holster, because of debris entering the weapon, snagging on clothing, etc.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I carry my 1911 .45 on my right side cause my right hand is my gun hand. I'm left-handed but I find it easier to shot right handed. I'm that way with pistols as well as shotguns and rifles.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

So what's "appendix carry" and what are the advantages or disadvantages of carrying that way?

9x18=Makarov