Fat guy CCW - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fat guy CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyguy View Post
I am 6' 276 lbs 45 ACP 10+1 Taurus PT145, US ARMY, disabled Vietnam Vet.

I carry right side, (Right handed). Get some tightie whities. If you are a 52 waist, get 48's and so on.

Get a pocket holster, the kind with the no slip strap like the one I have, the BlackHawk size 4 works for my .32, .38, 9mm, and 45. In Florida the heat goes up the caliber goes down!

Go to your favorite seller of defense stuff and they should let you try it out with your carry choices. Walk around the place and move like you do. Oh, and it does help a bit to use those shirts with the square bottoms outside the pants. And then never ever forget to remove it in the bathroom stalls at Denny's!
SAFETYGUY:

(Warning my Buffoonery selector switch is turned to the on position!)

I think ya lost me on this one right about where you said "get some tightie whities" . .
Well I already do wear them, thanks for the advice though . . I guess? . .
(scratching . . my head) But I wear size 44-46 if your a buying me some undies. lol

Seriously though I do appreciate every suggestion anyone gives because sooner or later it will be the one that fits me and thats what I'm really looking for.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

But Ifin ur a talkin bout me gettin some of them thare new fangeled Boomer Bloomers or Bang Briefs for primary carry to draw from no thankeee, some such as that is only for (limited use backup carry for ME but if it works for others thats just supercalifragilisticexpealadoshas

Although truthfully I did see a spiffy All leather (I'm really a leather kind O guy) cell phone deep concealment holster on YouTube that looked quite interesting and (Pretty STURDY) for possible long term secondary concealment carry of a heavy (once loaded) high cap or even my little Kahr P45 .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
In any event on a different subject Safetyguy I would like to know about is can you do a little review and range report on that thar Taurus PT145 O yourn, and on any other Taurus pistols you have.
I'm really very interested in learning more about Taurus Brand SD pistols

Last edited by N.D.; 11-22-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: slight over site

Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.D. View Post
SAFETYGUY:

(Buffoonery selector switch turned to the on position)
I think I lost ya on this one right about where you said "get some tightie whities" . .
Well I already do wear them, thanks for the advice though . . I guess? . .
(scratching . . my head)
But I wear size 44-46 if your buying lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In any event on a different subject Safetyguy what I really would like to know about is a lovely review and range report on that Taurus PT145, and any other Taurus pistol review info I can get.
I'm 6'2", 200lbs., 40-inch waist with a slight roll and I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro PT140 in a boomstickholsters IWB probably 50% of the time. A Rock Island Armory 1911CS in a kholster.com copy of the Crossbreed holster or a Steyr S9 in a boomstickholster tuckable (it was a prototype) account for almost all the other times. Occasionally in cooler weather when a coat is worn a Browning Hi-Power at 4 o' clock in a OWB holster is chosen. I've found that wearing just in front of the point of the hip in a holster canted and high enough to just nestle the grip snug against my kidney works for just about any gun.

As for a report on the Taurus PT145, well....

I've had my PT140 for four or five years now and love it. It's accurate, reliable, compact, and light enough to carry all day comfortably. My son, OTOH, purchased a PT145 exactly a year ago. It was defective out of the box and he spent weeks before Taurus' customer service agreed he should send it in for repair. It came back two months later with replacement barrel that not only was the wrong finish but had an improperly machined cam lug. Several more weeks of B.S. (it varied from CSR to CSR) before he sent it back on their nickle. It came back two months later with the same barrel. All Taurus had done was polish it to make it match the slide. He called, Taurus customer service promised to send a new barrel. Six weeks and a variety of excuses later they admitted to having no replacement barrels and had him send it back. It came back with a new barrel two months later (that seems to be their minimum turnaround) that miraculously appeared to be correct.

He ran a bore snake down the barrel to clean the fouling from Taurus' test firing and took it to the range. Thirty rounds of mixed brands of ammo later, he felt pleased. No jams, accurate enough to do head shots on hostage targets (he has access to a local PD range) at 25yds. When he got home and did a thorough cleaning, however, he found what appears to be either a split or gouge in the bore beginning about 3/8" beyond the start of the rifling. You guessed it--back to Taurus for another barrel as soon as he finishes moving into his new address.

I love my Taurus but my son's experience makes me think that their life time warranty means you may spend a lifetime trying for proper warranty service if if you ever need it.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolin_1911a1 View Post
I'm 6'2", 200lbs., 40-inch waist with a slight roll and I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro PT140 in a boomstickholsters IWB probably 50% of the time. A Rock Island Armory 1911CS in a kholster.com copy of the Crossbreed holster or a Steyr S9 in a boomstickholster tuckable (it was a prototype) account for almost all the other times. Occasionally in cooler weather when a coat is worn a Browning Hi-Power at 4 o' clock in a OWB holster is chosen. I've found that wearing just in front of the point of the hip in a holster canted and high enough to just nestle the grip snug against my kidney works for just about any gun.

As for a report on the Taurus PT145, well....

I've had my PT140 for four or five years now and love it. It's accurate, reliable, compact, and light enough to carry all day comfortably. My son, OTOH, purchased a PT145 exactly a year ago. It was defective out of the box and he spent weeks before Taurus' customer service agreed he should send it in for repair. It came back two months later with replacement barrel that not only was the wrong finish but had an improperly machined cam lug. Several more weeks of B.S. (it varied from CSR to CSR) before he sent it back on their nickle. It came back two months later with the same barrel. All Taurus had done was polish it to make it match the slide. He called, Taurus customer service promised to send a new barrel. Six weeks and a variety of excuses later they admitted to having no replacement barrels and had him send it back. It came back with a new barrel two months later (that seems to be their minimum turnaround) that miraculously appeared to be correct.

He ran a bore snake down the barrel to clean the fouling from Taurus' test firing and took it to the range. Thirty rounds of mixed brands of ammo later, he felt pleased. No jams, accurate enough to do head shots on hostage targets (he has access to a local PD range) at 25yds. When he got home and did a thorough cleaning, however, he found what appears to be either a split or gouge in the bore beginning about 3/8" beyond the start of the rifling. You guessed it--back to Taurus for another barrel as soon as he finishes moving into his new address.

I love my Taurus but my son's experience makes me think that their life time warranty means you may spend a lifetime trying for proper warranty service if if you ever need it.
Brolin 1911A1:
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Holsters:

How do you like the Kholster (the huge adjust-ability range looks very interesting to me, too bad its still Kydex *yuck*) version compared w/ a Crossbreed supertuck assuming you have an original?

In the last couple of YRS I have tried 2 diff Crossbreeds "a s.o.b" wore it for about 6 Mo's (the belt clip broke on the S.O.B) of those 2 the sob was the most comfy, the Supertuck was the most concealable for me if I used it as adjusted from the maker but neither suited me as far as my drawing comfort was concerned, the S.O.B moved around too much (only 1 belt clip). now the Supertuck didn't concealed well W/O a cover Garment if I adjusted it for a comfortable draw, but I think If 1 has to wear a cover garment then one may as well Carry in an even more comfy OWB pancake holster as opposed to an IWB holster IMHO I also during this time tried a Kydex paddle holster (cant remember the brand name on that one) none of these suit me so I think I'll try going to an all leather holster next as every one of these kydex or hybrid Kydex holsters either badly wore or scuffed the living s**t out of the finish on my Dan Wesson Custom/Custom 1911 I have already had DW lightly refinish it once already.
(I shudder to think of how bad this would be from lots of heavy Drawing practice)
now I'm not knocking any makers holster, and I have heard lots of praise heaped on the crossbreed brand and it could just be me and not happen for someone else YMMV.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Taurus:

WOW I have heard some mixed opinions from a significant number of others about Taurus pistols, (mostly bad) but your own and your sons experiences are so night and day I don't know what to say . . except I am sorry that your son had to go through so much Bovine scat activity before Taurus made things right for him.

Back in the day I used to be an FFL Dealer and I once had a PT92 (personal weapon I think but might have been a demo) that I never had a problem from, and then there was the PT92C that a customer ordered that had the barrel touching (Rubbing) the slide bore on the left side, (atrocious Q.C.) in my opinion,and of course it shot just like you would expect it to.
But I had thought that in nearly 20 YRS they would have gotten their act together but Maybe they need another 20 YRS or so to get it straight.
And to think I have been considering giving Taurus another try but after hearing of all the trouble that some owners are having with them (+ your story) I'll have to continue to take a wait -N- see stance on this Brand.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

Last edited by N.D.; 11-23-2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Omissions