Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fat guy CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I carry a 1911 in a Horseshoe Leather Products, Covert 28 on one of Andy's 1.5" belt.

This is a very comfortable high ride forward cant holster.

Attachment 6970

This is the model 28S w/o the rear protective tab option.

Attachment 6971

Here is the model 28 with the tab.

Regardless what holster you go with, make sure it has this type of protective tab. Trust Me!!

Covert Holsters at Horseshoe Leather
You are so right about that sweat tab. Not only does it protect your shootin' arn from your body sweat but it also protects your love handles from the corners on that shootin' arn.

I noticed that yours is carried hammer down. I find that interesting. The 1911 was designed to be carried safely in Condition 1, "cocked and locked. Yet Jeff at Boomstickholsters told me quite some time back that he had a hard time finding dummy guns in that configuration to use for molding holsters. Almost all came with the hammer down yet, Jeff said, the vast majority of his customers who wanted a 1911 holster wanted to carry condition 1.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiger View Post
I'm a big guy myself (6' 3", 280) and I carry an XD-9 service in a Super Tuck IWB at 4:00. Once I got the holster broke in (took about 2 weeks) I had no trouble sitting or even riding in a car.

Trust me, I know about not buying a new wardrobe . . .
I am 6' 1" and am 300lbs very broad shoulders and a 38/40 waist depending on what holster I am going to use. Most of the time for carrying my XD45 or my Sig P229 9mm, I use a Galco or Milt Sparks IWB holster. If not I use Galco's pancake holster, under a t-shirt or polo style shirt. Those are what I have found to be the most comfortable to use. Plus with the heat here in Az a t-shirt is about all you want to wear.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largestal View Post
This is an easy question with what I am sure will be great answers.

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance
I am also your height and around your weight. I carry my Para Ordnance OPS which is about the size of a commander in an Eagle brand waist pack and my 1911 Taurus gov't size in a Galco model FL212B which also does double duty for my hi-power when I choose to carry it. The waist pack is very comfortable except for possibly driving as it would interfere with turning the wheel. I don't drive but you can turn the waist pack to your right or left to get it out of the way from the steering wheel. The Galco is a very comfortable rig and does not bother me after hrs. of wear.
The shoulder rig might also work if you can reach it with out undo pain or problems after your back surgery. The holster suggestions are all very good. You may want to look thru American Handgunner and Guns Magazine as both have very good holster articles and feature web and regular contact info for several custom holster makers when featured in their mags.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Try strong side appendix carry.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am almost like him I do have a butt and a darn nice one at that. LOL

My problem is my cargo is spilling over the sides as well. I tried to pack but I have to sit funny in my car and the seat belt rubs my 1911 and I am not going to let that put a mark on my gun. So for me I think I jsut need to get my ares out of the chair and on the tredmill holding up my cloths in my bed room.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I am almost like him I do have a butt and a darn nice one at that. LOL

My problem is my cargo is spilling over the sides as well. I tried to pack but I have to sit funny in my car and the seat belt rubs my 1911 and I am not going to let that put a mark on my gun. So for me I think I jsut need to get my ares out of the chair and on the tredmill holding up my cloths in my bed room.
I wear a tshirt to keep my 45 from rubbing on me and a large shirt 4x over my holster and gun to hide it. While ridding in friends vehicles I've found that the seatbelt doesn't rub on my firearm. I do carry rh strong side just behind my front pocket with holster tilt forward.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
I wear a tshirt to keep my 45 from rubbing on me and a large shirt 4x over my holster and gun to hide it. While ridding in friends vehicles I've found that the seatbelt doesn't rub on my firearm. I do carry rh strong side just behind my front pocket with holster tilt forward.
I have started useing a com tac neck holster and a kel tec 380. And for on the belt 45 I use a non cant hi ride, about 3 oclock. wear a tee shirt with suspenders, large shirt over the gun. Winter I have ccw sig jacket

Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll View Post
I have started useing a com tac neck holster and a kel tec 380. And for on the belt 45 I use a non cant hi ride, about 3 oclock. wear a tee shirt with suspenders, large shirt over the gun. Winter I have ccw sig jacket
Who makes the com tac neck holster , sounds interesting?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #19

Sorry, I'm new. Really new.

What's the deal with 1 o'clock, 4 o'clock, etc? I know it's got something to do with where you carry your handgun, but I don't know exactly what.

Thanks

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of the people." -- V, V for Vendetta

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
Who makes the com tac neck holster , sounds interesting?
Comp-Tac : Top-Quality Firearm Accessories
Neck holsters are suspended around the neck on an adjustable lanyard.