Fat guy CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fat guy CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fat guy CCW

This is an easy question with what I am sure will be great answers.

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a skinny little joker, so my advice might not be as good as others.
Since we're coming up on cooler weather, you might want to look into getting a shoulder holster for those chilly days when a jacket is neccesary.
I normally carry IWB at 1 o'clock, but with a larger caliber like .40 or .45, that can get a little uncomfortable even for my skinny little self.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally carry at around 4 o'clock. I"m 6' 180 and it's the only place I can hide a 45. I fight grip length regularly.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Have carried a 1911A1 about 4 o'clock, paddle holster on waist, and a right side up shoulder rig.

Nice thing about a shoulder holster- if you need to go potty, you don't drop the piece and have it bounce 2 stalls down.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Dan Wesson CBOB, iwb holster.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I do not carry, but i do wonder if you've tried a slimmer gun? People are always saying that the 1911 packs really flat. If you know anybody with a 1911 or other single-stack, maybe you could try it on?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largestal View Post

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance
I'm a big guy myself (6' 3", 280) and I carry an XD-9 service in a Super Tuck IWB at 4:00. Once I got the holster broke in (took about 2 weeks) I had no trouble sitting or even riding in a car.

Trust me, I know about not buying a new wardrobe . . .

Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've found that the 1911a1, Taurus PT14x, and Browing Hi-Power all carry well around the 4 o'clock position in a kholster IWB tuckable adjusted to snug the butt into my right kidney. The kholster (or more expensive Crossbreed) is a really, really comfortable holster.

Kholster

Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I carry a 1911 in a Horseshoe Leather Products, Covert 28 on one of Andy's 1.5" belt.

This is a very comfortable high ride forward cant holster.

28.jpg

This is the model 28S w/o the rear protective tab option.

28b.jpg

Here is the model 28 with the tab.

Regardless what holster you go with, make sure it has this type of protective tab. Trust Me!!

Covert Holsters at Horseshoe Leather

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largestal View Post

Thanks in advance
Look at Bladetech holsters in washington state best damn holsters money can buy

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT