Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Fat guy CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/fat-guy-ccw-18736/)

Largestal 10-01-2009 06:40 PM

Fat guy CCW

This is an easy question with what I am sure will be great answers.

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance

General_lee 10-01-2009 07:34 PM

I'm a skinny little joker, so my advice might not be as good as others.
Since we're coming up on cooler weather, you might want to look into getting a shoulder holster for those chilly days when a jacket is neccesary.
I normally carry IWB at 1 o'clock, but with a larger caliber like .40 or .45, that can get a little uncomfortable even for my skinny little self.

spittinfire 10-01-2009 07:46 PM

I personally carry at around 4 o'clock. I"m 6' 180 and it's the only place I can hide a 45. I fight grip length regularly.

c3shooter 10-01-2009 07:52 PM

Have carried a 1911A1 about 4 o'clock, paddle holster on waist, and a right side up shoulder rig.

Nice thing about a shoulder holster- if you need to go potty, you don't drop the piece and have it bounce 2 stalls down.

Gojubrian 10-01-2009 10:26 PM

Dan Wesson CBOB, iwb holster. :cool:

orangello 10-01-2009 10:42 PM

I do not carry, but i do wonder if you've tried a slimmer gun? People are always saying that the 1911 packs really flat. If you know anybody with a 1911 or other single-stack, maybe you could try it on?

JoeTiger 10-01-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Largestal (Post 168664)

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance

I'm a big guy myself (6' 3", 280) and I carry an XD-9 service in a Super Tuck IWB at 4:00. Once I got the holster broke in (took about 2 weeks) I had no trouble sitting or even riding in a car.

Trust me, I know about not buying a new wardrobe . . .

brolin_1911a1 10-23-2009 02:22 AM

I've found that the 1911a1, Taurus PT14x, and Browing Hi-Power all carry well around the 4 o'clock position in a kholster IWB tuckable adjusted to snug the butt into my right kidney. The kholster (or more expensive Crossbreed) is a really, really comfortable holster.

Kholster

canebrake 10-23-2009 03:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I carry a 1911 in a Horseshoe Leather Products, Covert 28 on one of Andy's 1.5" belt.

This is a very comfortable high ride forward cant holster.

Attachment 6970

This is the model 28S w/o the rear protective tab option.

Attachment 6971

Here is the model 28 with the tab.

Regardless what holster you go with, make sure it has this type of protective tab. Trust Me!!

Covert Holsters at Horseshoe Leather

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 10-23-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Largestal (Post 168664)

Thanks in advance

Look at Bladetech holsters in washington state best damn holsters money can buy :D:D