Fanny packs - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fanny packs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2128 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms View Post
I talked to a officer today and he told me if you leave your house with your firearm it must be under lock and key. He also said you could try it and see how the officer reacts. But most likely your getting arrested, firearm confiscated, fined, court, possible revocation of FOID. oh and a bad attitude from the cop.
Once again, bad information from an Illinois LEO. I assume you talked to an Illinois LEO considering that's where we started.

Illinois law requires the gun be in a case designed for a handgun. It can be a hard case or a soft case. The case must be snapped shut or zipped. Nothing about a lock and key is mentioned.

Sounds like another overzealous cop trying to create his own law.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #32

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

He obviously doesn't know the laws he is supposed to be enforcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Illinois law requires the gun be in a case designed for a handgun. It can be a hard case or a soft case. The case must be snapped shut or zipped. Nothing about a lock and key is mentioned.
@Scott, only according to the wildlife code does it need to be designed for a firearm, criminal code says nothing about this, technically if you are wearing a jacket with a zippered pocket, legally it would be considered an enclosed container and legal to carry, also a center console in a vehicle is a legal container, if you want to get even more technical you could keep the firearm unloaded in your trunk, as your trunk is an enclosed container, again all depends on how the cop feels or wants to interpret the law since they are above the law and do what they want, but according to state law, this would all be 100% legal

Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #33

All this info could lead to a heartbreak for Illinois state. The only crack is that the law is to personal interpretation of the written document/law. One upside is if this law on Capitol hill passes requiring all states to adhere to each others transportation law. A resident of Illinois could get their non-resident ccw from a number of states and would be able to carry. Many prayers are going out to help this law pass and get signed.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in ILL-A-NOID as well, for now, and my take is that fanny pack carry is legal, with the magazine removed and the chamber empty, and the person has a valid FOID card, with all enclosures FULLY closed. I have carried like this for years, and no one ever questioned or gave a second look to the fanny pack. I have not carried the last two years because of other reasons, but I believe it to be legal, because I have been told by those who should know that it is legal. Now, does that mean you won't run into someone who does not know or care? Of course not. You may have to prove it, go through all of the expense and trouble, which can happen with any law, anywhere. Would I do it in Chicago? NO! I don't spend any time or money in Chicago. I wish everyone would not travel to Chicago or Crooked Co. if they could avoid it. I tried to attached a document from Illinois supporting my opinion, but it is a pdf file, TRANSPORT YOUR FIREARM LEGALLY. I can send the pdf to anyone interested, even better you can get them from the Illinois DNR. I always had one handy when carrying. As far as being tested in court, my understanding is a lady from Decatur, IL. with a gun in a purse, put it to the test. Can't remember more than that so if you want more info you will have to look it up.
It's a shame we have to carry unloaded, but it's all we can do for now. Workin' on it. That's my personal take on the subject. I hope, anyone from Illinois attended IGOLD on March 7.

Somehow I got it placed way early and not at the end of the thread. Sorry about that.

We need more government control and less gun control.

Last edited by jonbouy; 03-14-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Placed out of order

Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbouy
I live in ILL-A-NOID as well, for now, and my take is that fanny pack carry is legal, with the magazine removed and the chamber empty, and the person has a valid FOID card, with all enclosures FULLY closed. I have carried like this for years, and no one ever questioned or gave a second look to the fanny pack. I have not carried the last two years because of other reasons, but I believe it to be legal, because I have been told by those who should know that it is legal. Now, does that mean you won't run into someone who does not know or care? Of course not. You may have to prove it, go through all of the expense and trouble, which can happen with any law, anywhere. Would I do it in Chicago? NO! I don't spend any time or money in Chicago. I wish everyone would not travel to Chicago or Crooked Co. if they could avoid it. I tried to attached a document from Illinois supporting my opinion, but it is a pdf file, TRANSPORT YOUR FIREARM LEGALLY. I can send the pdf to anyone interested, even better you can get them from the Illinois DNR. I always had one handy when carrying. As far as being tested in court, my understanding is a lady from Decatur, IL. with a gun in a purse, put it to the test. Can't remember more than that so if you want more info you will have to look it up.
It's a shame we have to carry unloaded, but it's all we can do for now. Workin' on it. That's my personal take on the subject. I hope, anyone from Illinois attended IGOLD on March 7.

Somehow I got it placed way early and not at the end of the thread. Sorry about that.
Other than the idnr website, is there any info available at the ill state trooper website? Any info is better than none. It could be that one more piece of paper that could help save your butt if needed. Thanks for any input and advice you all are giving.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #36

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhamblen

Other than the idnr website, is there any info available at the ill state trooper website? Any info is better than none. It could be that one more piece of paper that could help save your butt if needed. Thanks for any input and advice you all are giving.

ScottA posted a PDF link from Illinois state police website that could be useful.. you could also find a copy of the actual statute on transportation laws

Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1923 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

FYI. Illinois State Police website link: www.isp.state.il.us

Lots of interesting statute listings. Also lots of interesting ISP interpretations (in the form of FAQ sections) that don't seem to line up with actual statutes that well. Ran across this while researching restrictions on ammo purchases in Illinois by non-residents. See the thread on "Have my rights been violated?" on this site.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/