Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fanny packs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fanny packs

I live in the communist state of Illinois. As everyone knows we are the last state to not recognize any form of ccw. I had received an email pertaining to this issue. In that email it states that fanny packs designed for ccw holders is considered the only legal way to conceal carry. Obviously the wonderful cook county is fighting this statement tooth and nail. Has anyone else heard or come across this info as well? If so, where did you find the information to this loophole?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

I think no concealed carry means no concealed carry in Illinois. Most states that allow concealed carry also require a permit. I'm SURE in Illinois, when we finally get concealed carry, a permit will be required. I don't see how carrying concealed in a fanny pack with no permit here in Illinois is legal at all. Just my two cents. I do know some who conceal carry anyway in Illinois. I would not do it because I don't want to get busted and lose all my guns for breaking a gun law. That's just me. I'll follow the rules even if I don't like the rules.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is true. As long as the mag is not in the gun and both r zipped in the fanny pack. Would I try it? Nope. Cuz I know Illinois police. They won't care and arrest u anyway. U can also drive with a loaded mag and pistol in your center consol as long as the mag is not in the gun. It's considered in a case and not easily accessible. Don't know how but it is true.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

No way........

Show me a link that proves these methods of carrying are acceptable in Illinois.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Illinois

Total prohibition Total freedom

0 ------ 10 ------ 20 ------ 30 ------ 40 ------ 50 ------ 60 ------ 70 ------ 80 ------ 90 ------ 100
^

Traveler's checklist:
*Standard firearms ownership: restricted, firearm identification card required
*Semi-auto gun ownership: restricted, firearm identification card required
*Machine Gun Ownership: personal machine gun ownership prohibited
*Firearm law uniformity: no preemption law, localities may pass their own gun laws
*Right of Self-Defense: no NRA-model castle doctrine
*Open carry: prohibited in all public areas
*Concealed carry: no provision for concealed carry licensing
*Vehicle carry by non-FOID card holders: any firearm or ammunition possessed
by a non-resident with a valid carry permit must be transported unloaded and
cased; if the non-resident lacks a permit, he must also stow the firearms in the
trunk or storage compartment of vehicle
*State Parks: display or use of firearms prohibited; no allowance for concealed carry
*Restaurants serving alcohol: firearms carry prohibited for most citizens
* Duty to notify LEO of permit status: upon demand of police officer

Illinois' Midwestern location does not prevent its treatment of firearms from
resembling that of New York City. Gun owners face a wide assortment of laws that
are piled layer upon layer in the land of Lincoln. The effect of various state laws is
amplified by the fact that Illinois has no preemption law. Travelers to Chicago and
other major urban areas could face even stricter laws than the ones described below.
One bright spot in this otherwise confusing morass of local regulation is the state law
that provides anyone using a firearm for self-defense with an affirmative defense to
these local laws.
Illinois residents with FOID cards: Residents of Illinois are required to
have a firearms identification card before they may purchase or possess any rifle, shotgun,
handgun or ammunition. This card is issued by the Department of State Police and
is valid for ten years. The card allows a holder to transport a firearm in the passenger
compartment of his vehicle if the weapon is unloaded and enclosed in a case (it need not
be in the trunk). Recently, the Illinois Supreme Court held that vehicle's center console
was a "case" for purposes of firearm transportation. This means that an unloaded handgun
along with a loaded magazine could be carried in car's center console box by a cardholder as
long as the magazine is not inserted in the gun. The only qualification for this carry mode
would be the lack of any state preemption of local laws. Some communities may have
stricter vehicular carry ordinances. Also, the state's wildlife code requires that firearms in
a vehicle be enclosed in commercial gun cases to be legal.
Non-residents: A non-resident with a valid carry permit may possess firearms or
ammunition in a vehicle if the weapons are unloaded and cased. If the non-resident does not
have a valid carry permit, he must also stow the firearms in an inaccessible area such as the
trunk or break them down to a non-functioning state. Non-residents may possess loaded
firearms if the weapons are employed on publicly recognized target ranges, at bonafide gun
shows or in a hunting format where the individual possesses a non-resident hunting license.
Absent these narrow exceptions, Illinois prohibits the open or concealed carry of firearms
in all public areas.
All Persons: Machine gun ownership is prohibited in Illinois unless one is a Class III
dealer. Many communities have also banned the possession of over 10-shot magazines and
military pattern "assault weapons."

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

be in the trunk). Recently, the Illinois Supreme Court held that vehicle's center console
was a "case" for purposes of firearm transportation. This means that an unloaded handgun
along with a loaded magazine could be carried in car's center console box by a cardholder as
long as the magazine is not inserted in the gun. The only qualification for this carry mode
would be the lack of any state preemption of local laws. Some communities may have
stricter vehicular carry ordinances. Also, the state's wildlife code requires that firearms in
a vehicle be enclosed in commercial gun cases to be legal.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

I am not familiar with the Illinois CC laws but I live in good 'ol Idaho. Legal aspects here are similar to above. One thing I did, when I go shooting. I have my handgun on the front seat (I'm not 21 for a few months and can't get my cccw until then) unhidden and the ammo in an ammobox in the back of the truck. They are not "easily accessible" as stated above. The issue. As long as the clips out and the guns not loaded, in sight its not an issue. Until Illinois catches up... Id do something similar to play it safe.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'm confounded that the libretards-in-charge of the gulag known as Ill-noise (my sympathies to those innocence hostages trapped within) have not realized the potential for revenues generated from licensing fees for concealed carry permits.

They really don't grasp the pent-up demand of the residents of the gulag to join the rest of us in exercising our 2nd Amendment rights.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Living across the river and traveling into IL makes it pretty inconvenient. I'm aware of the fanny pack idea. I think I heard someone call it 2 second concealed carry. Keep the unloaded pistol and magazine in a fanny pack designed for concealed carry. Since the pack is purpose designed for handguns, it could be defined as a case. This would meet the letter of transporting a firearm rather than concealed carry.

I'm not willing to try it, but it you are so inclined, get a good lawyer and give it a whirl. I'm curious to find out what the courts will do with it.

That last bit is not a recommendation.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #10

Fanny pack carry hasn't been challenged in the courts and I sure as hell don't want to be the test subject.

Don't do it.