Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Eye Contact and Attacker Psychology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Eye Contact

I would think it vital that at some point you make eye contact with a potential threat. If someone is thinking of causing trouble for you I would think the odds are greatly increased if they believe you don't see them. I agree that I wouldn't stare at someone, they would, just as you would, take that as a challenge.
A noticeable look and a head nod are all that is needed to let someone know that you are aware of their pressence. After that I would use quick "update" glances to keep up with them and to try and determine if they have a weapon. All the while you need to be moving away from the area. If your senses alert to a threat, you need to listen to them. It makes you no less a man or woman if you avoid trouble, even if you are wrong.
If retreat is not possible, if you are "reasonably sure" trouble is coming your way, then I would face the threat and put my hand on my gun. I think 99 out of 100 bad guys will understand the situation is not in their favor and will pass you by. We as responsible concealed handgun carriers need to understand that we need to train for that 1% occassion. If a situation is to arrise that may cause you to draw and fire on a human, then you need to be more prepared than just armed.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default Eye contact

I am a sheepdog. If the wolf is looking for a fight, I will be the one to give it to him. I do not assume that eye contact will avert the potentially bad situation. It may set the wolf off and start a fight. OK. I would much rather he fight me than one of the sheep I am sworn to protect. My reasoning does not necessasarily apply to the average citizen. I am paid to fight the wolf, so you do not have to. If he is a scavenger rather than a predator, he will move along. If he is a strong wolf, he will fight. If he is that strong, he will have predated on sheep before so he needs a fight. I am a big, strong, well trained sheepdog and WILL give him the fight of his life. I am not perfect, I could lose. If I lose, it will be in an attempt to protect the herd. Unchecked and unchallenged, the wolf will become increasingly bold until the herd is decimated. I cannot allow that to happen. I will lay down my life to protect the herd if I must.