Extreme CCW Concept - If You Dare
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Extreme CCW Concept - If You Dare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1321 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Default Extreme CCW Concept - If You Dare

This is a concept gun that was built for CCW in Ohio...well, sort of. A little explanation is necessary. In Ohio, ANY rifle must be transported in a car, unloaded, with ammo in separate container, preferably locked. A loaded magazine is equivalent to a loaded rifle, so no loaded magazines. CCW law says a pistol may be carried loaded in a vehicle, either on a person or loose in the car.

Since this law only allows for pistols to be loaded in a vehicle, a friend of mine wanted to build a weapon that could serve as backup to a pistol in an extreme situation and still be legal. The weapon had to classify as a pistol but fire a rifle round and have better range than a pistol. SMGs were considered and some carbines, but either performance or range were ineffective. Finally, one accessory made the concept gun possible: The Sig Sauer SB15 Stabilizing Brace purchased from Headshot Tactical Customs for $155. This is a BATFE-approved brace that mounts to a pistol buffer tube on an AR-15 pistol. The brace is hollow and slides over your forearm as you hold the AR pistol and is held on by a nylon strap. In an emergency, though, if you have no time to fasten it to your forearm, the weapon can be shouldered using the back of the brace, as it is hard enough to be used as such.

This is a fully compliant AR-15 pistol that can have a loaded magazine in it and ride in a vehicle in Ohio as long as someone in the vehicle has a CCW. The first State Trooper it was presented to and asked what he would do if he saw it in a car said he'd put his Glock to the driver's temple and prone him out. After it was explained he agreed it was legal, but said it would probably freak out the average officer. So if anyone has a similar state law and wants a backup weapon in their vehicle, this could be the answer! Just be prepared to educate any LEO you encounter.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

It's a very good idea by Sig and I applaud them for thinking outside of the box.

That being said, I don't see it staying classified as a pistol for more than a few years. I can see them at the BATFE realizing it can be shouldered, so therefore should be an SBR.

Or making it illegal.

I hope I'm wrong. My pessimism is showing again.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
It's a very good idea by Sig and I applaud them for thinking outside of the box.

That being said, I don't see it staying classified as a pistol for more than a few years. I can see them at the BATFE realizing it can be shouldered, so therefore should be an SBR.

Or making it illegal.

I hope I'm wrong. My pessimism is showing again.
No, it's not pessimism. But Sig provides a copy of the current BATFE approval letter at the bottom of the page linked above. At least it can be fun for now.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8840 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

I would be surprised if the firearm depicted were not classed as an AOW or SBR. Not from the "brace", but from the handgrip on the forearm. Hangun has been defined as "intended to be held and fired with one hand". Put a grip in there for the other hand, game changes.

Purely my opinion, may be wrong.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7115 Times on 3894 Posts
Likes Given: 14409

Franklin Armory came out with something similar but without the butt stock. I guess the BATFE is relaxing? I don't understand how it cannot be classified as a pistol or rifle, yet is not designated an any other weapon.
http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

image-3764511687.jpg  

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 09-18-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I would be surprised if the firearm depicted were not classed as an AOW or SBR. Not from the "brace", but from the handgrip on the forearm. Hangun has been defined as "intended to be held and fired with one hand". Put a grip in there for the other hand, game changes.

Purely my opinion, may be wrong.
C3, Ohio does not allow fore grips or pistol grips on the forearm of a pistol. What's on the front of the gun in the picture is a MagPul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) and it is not prohibited on a pistol to my knowledge...yet. Of course, if that were to change its classification, it's removal would be swift.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 949 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Mares Leg pistols are another alternative if you are looking to push the envelope. I own an AR pistol as well as a Mares Leg. Great fun.

Half of getting through life, well, is not ticking off your dancing partner. LEOs are on the side of the good guys, as well as Concealed Carry folks should be. Using as a CC firearm that will not bother the local police, is a good goal. Blend in, fit in. An AR pistol, is not a blend in, fit in sidearm.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
This is a fully compliant AR-15 pistol that can have a loaded magazine in it and ride in a vehicle in Ohio as long as someone in the vehicle has a CCW. The first State Trooper it was presented to and asked what he would do if he saw it in a car said he'd put his Glock to the driver's temple and prone him out. After it was explained he agreed it was legal, but said it would probably freak out the average officer. So if anyone has a similar state law and wants a backup weapon in their vehicle, this could be the answer! Just be prepared to educate any LEO you encounter.
That right there is enough reason for me to run from this idea. Having a very nervous adrenalin charged person holding a Glock to my temple isn't very high on my To Do list. As far as educating any LEO you encounter, when has that ever worked when the suspect is the intended instructor?