Ethics question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ethics question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Ending a human life is about the most horrible thing any of us could be forced to do...

Relying on others for our safety is about the most irresponsible thing any of us could choose to do...

I carry because I am prepared to do the first and would not consider the second....EVERYDAY

Tack
Home run Tack

Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #22

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

You're not on duty military or a leo, hence you have no obligation to anyone but yourself. Carry is a very personal decision and only you can make that determination. Do you want to protect yourself? Your family? Others in an extreme situation? None of us can tell you yes or no. Only you can make that choice. You need to sit back and think it through if you decide to carry.
I think most folks here have realized how far they're willing to go in most situations. I think it comes to wether you truely want to carry, and if so, are you willing to accept the responsibility and the legal obligations that go with it? If not, wait a while. You can always do it later.
Meanwhile, keep practicing.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Ending a human life is about the most horrible thing any of us could be forced to do...

Relying on others for our safety is about the most irresponsible thing any of us could choose to do...

I carry because I am prepared to do the first and would not consider the second....EVERYDAY

Tack
Yes Tack, thumbs up!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #24

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
ok, you have weapons training, applied for and received your ccl and carefully selected your carry weapon and a way to carry it, practiced and practiced some more. You feel confident and safe with everything at this point.

then why didju get your ccw to begin with???

i agree with the majority on the premise that you (all CCW holders) gotchur permit for your and your family's protection, but it goes a little deeper than that for me. it would be tough to live with myself if i killed someone, but it would be even tougher for me to live with myself if i didn't defend the defenseless from a criminal.........full well, knowing that i "might could've" done something before the onslaught.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 08-07-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #25

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS

then why didju get your ccw to begin with???

i agree with the majority on the premise that you (all CCW holders) gotchur permit for your and your family's protection, but it goes a little deeper than that for me. it would be tough to live with myself if i killed someone, but it would be even tougher for me to live with myself if i didn't defend the defenseless from a criminal.........full well, knowing that i "might could've" done something before the onslaught.
I agree with you to a point however, people are so lawsuit crazy today that i would think twice about pulling if someone wasnt directly threatening my or my familys life........ its a very sad reality in this country when a criminal actually has the right to sue someone for defending themselves or others

Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Do I have some sort of unspoken obligation?
In my opinion, no you do not. You carry as your are comfortable carrying but I think as time goes by you will be comfortable carrying all the time.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Thdrduck,

This is black-and-white: You have NO obligation to draw your gun and engage anyone you don't want to. You have to determine, in every situation, if you wish to involve yourself and put your safety and financial security at risk.

However, have you noticed that most of these shooting incidents we hear about are either in cities or building complexes (Malls, churches, etc) that don't typically allow CC? I think the answer to your question about if criminals take CCing private individuals into account, the answer is Yes, some do.

As private citizen CCers, we Have the right to carry the gun for our own protection, so why should it ever be left behind? I carry 24/7, even at home, but nothing will "force" me to pull my gun, for defense of myself or others, unless *I* determine that I have no other alternative and the situation is life-or-death.

So I say, stay armed, but do not think there is some "hidden" obligation driving you to do ANYTHING. You are responsible for every choice you make with a gun, and a judge is not going to recognize any "hidden" obligation.

I hope it helps.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #28

Liked 89 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Usebothhands... I am a public official in a rural area that for about 2 months out of the year collects property taxes. I do this in a small office 1 block off a state highway. There are some idiots that still insist on paying with cash and there are times I have over $50k in cash on hand. I put a notice in the local paper when and where I will be and also at the post office and bank. That should answer your question. Now, guess who carries 2 months out of the year.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With the SCOTUS ruling that the police are not there to protect the individual, but the public as a whole, I think the responsiblity of your own self defense is pretty clear. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around makes sense to me!

Veronica

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, in doing so some have entertained angels without knowing it"
hebrews 13:2

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #30

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Usebothhands... I am a public official in a rural area that for about 2 months out of the year collects property taxes. I do this in a small office 1 block off a state highway. There are some idiots that still insist on paying with cash and there are times I have over $50k in cash on hand. I put a notice in the local paper when and where I will be and also at the post office and bank. That should answer your question. Now, guess who carries 2 months out of the year.

i would seriously think about carryin 12 months, because there is some jack-leg out there that will "insist" that you have $$$ in the other 10 months.........better to be prepared than not.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me