Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ethics question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Ethics question

OK, you have weapons training, applied for and received your CCL and carefully selected your carry weapon and a way to carry it, practiced and practiced some more. You feel confident and safe with everything at this point. Should you feel obligated to carry even if you don't feel there is a threat? Are you somehow now obligated to be responsible for your safety and that of others you will be around during the day? How would you feel if you chose not to carry and found yourself in a situation were you really wish you had your gun? Maybe not your life in danger, but you happen on someone else who could really use your help like someone getting mauled by dogs or something?
Where I live I am more likely to encounter a rabid raccoon or coyote then a bad guy. I always carry in the woods... not so much on the streets. Do I have some sort of unspoken obligation? This just sort of occurred to me and I don't know how I feel about it yet.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I wouldn't say it's an obligation but there is always a threat something can always happen I NEVER let my guard down I have my side arm on me at even thanksgiving dinner my fire arm is just as much a path of me as my shoes and socks imagine if you weren't carrying and something happen and you know you could have had your firearm on you I don't know about you but it would deff bother me

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, let me ask you this, about that.

Do you feel that someone else is responsible for your safety?

Do you feel that the cops are there to take care of all matters, violent or otherwise, that could be a hinderance to you living your life the way you want?

I carry about 90% plus of the time. The exceptions are if I am going out to the drive thru, or a quick run to the store, or something like that because I don't intend on being long and sometimes I don't want to gear up. I do however always have my backpack in my rig that has a carry pistol and spare mag in it, so I am never far from a chosen defense weapon.

I carry because I don't believe someone else is supposed to take care of me and my safety (and those of my family). I was raised to rely on me. That is how I feel.

When trouble is happening, the cops are always only minutes away.

JD

Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Anytime you fee uncomfortable, DON'T DO what is causing the discomfort.

Discomfort throws your muscle memory off and induces added thought processes. This can get you DEAD!

If you're uncomfortable carrying "on the streets", don't! This is just like you would be uncomfortable not carrying in the woods.

I carry ALL the time for the same reason I have fire extinguishers in my house and wear seat belts when driving. Do I expect to have a fire or get into an accident? No, but what if?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don’t want to get all preachy on you but, when you do get to the point of carrying on a daily basis it is up to the individual to make the decision to help his fellow man. Unless you have access to a crystal ball and know when it’s going to hit the fan I would say be prepared so yes I have made that decision before I leave the house that I may have to use my sidearm (to protect myself or others) and I am ready for the aftermath...you may file this under mindset.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5328 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

i believe everyone is obligated for their own safety. the supreme court has said several times the police have no obligation to save your life.

whether you feel the need to save someone else that is your business.

what would i do if i was direct witness to a colorado type event?? my military training and life philosophy says its game on go to war. in such a specific type situation i will do my level best to end the threat to myself and everyone around me.

i firmly believe that most police officers have my mind set. its why people that become police do it as a need to protect others from the evil of the world. what disillusioned me was that i found out that the police dont really do that as a policy... while i believe most officers will step up and cross the line into battle with evil i know they are not required to and in some selet departments quietly encouraged by the high ups not to.

it is up to the private citizen to train themselves and protect themselves relying on someone else to do so will just get you dead. i dont walk around looking for crime like batman or superman i dont carry a gun to be a cop the gun is for my personal defense.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I could have worded it different, I certainly don't expect anyone else to be responsible for my safety anymore then I hold someone else responsible for my actions. I guess part of me is thinking that in a state where cc is common, do the BG's consider that issue before they do bad things not knowing who may be packing. And if so, is everyone capable of cc somewhat obligated to carry as to increase the number of those packing therefore increasing the odds that the BG will be confronted in an unpleasant way when they try to do bad things. My favorite story is the one where the 70 something old man was riding his bike on a bike trial and was knocked off the bike by 3 punks who started to beat on him. They had not considered the cc factor as the old guy pulled his gun and shot 2 of them.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Your sidearm is like an umbrella. The day you leave it home is the day its gonna rain down on you.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Your sidearm is like an umbrella. The day you leave it home is the day its gonna rain down on you.

IMHO, no. You have a right to get wet.

It is NOT reasonable to expect me to give you MY umbrella.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Vincine Likes This 
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I carry often out of habit now. There are times when I don't, which is infrequent. But I do remember the young woman who took her parents out to dinner at a nearby restaurant on their wedding anniversary. She left her firearm in the car's glove compartment. While eating a gunman walked in and began shooting people at their tables and beneath it. The young woman saw her father shot dead. Then because her mother refused to leave him she was shot dead as well. None of this would have gotten as far as it had had she carried her firearm into the restaurant. But it was a cause for celebration, the parent's anniversary. So caution was set aside.