You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

EDC kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
No extra mags because I can draw & fire another pistol faster than I can insert a new mag
And I'm REAALLY skeptical of this being the case. It largely depends on how each is carried, of course. But, a mag change is at least as fast as dropping / reholstering your primary, and getting a grip on / drawing a new firearm.

Not to mention there are two distinct advantages to simply refilling your primary:
1) I'd much rather maintain the fight with my full-sized fighting gun than some pocket .380.
2) Either I have to drop my gun (which I'd hate to do), or take the time to reholster it in order to keep up the fight with a good two-handed grip. Shooting a pocket .380 1-handed is not going to be nearly as condusive to winning the fight as shooting your primary with a solid 2-handed grip.

Now, carrying a backup is never a bad thought, but deliberately continuing the fight with a lesser firearm because you'd rather not reload is.

FWIW, the only reason the "New York Reload" came about was because they were having to reload 6-shot revolvers using loose shells from a pouch. However, reloading an auto is at least as fast as drawing a pocket pistol from a secondary (i.e. deeper) concealment position, and you get to maintain the above advantages.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I carry so I can draw either weapon with either hand. No need to drop the pistol & can reholster it at the same time that I am drawing the back-up. Also, there's a possibility of your primary hand being injured/disabled. A one-handed mag change & slide rack is possible, but slow.

My back-up is .380 because of size/weight & I do not consider it as being under powered. In fact, there are times when it is my primary carry.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Damn linden! You're ready to go! I need to invest the time into putting a small bag together. And very good points on a BUG gun too! As of now I only have one pistol and that's my XD. I plan to get a PF9 before summer rolls around because I don't want to be lugging the XD around in the summer if I can help it. Another thing I may add to the topic of the new York reload is changing a mag allows you to (for the most part) keep your eyes on the threat provided you practice mag changes. where as drawing a second weapon (unless you practice and train for that scenario) could cause some unneeded attention to the part of the body where you are drawing from because it's not as natural as a mag change. And again that's unless you spend a lot of time practicing drawing a second weapon

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #14

General EDC:

Glock 23 in a Crossbreed supertuck (fantastic holster btw)
Spare mag (sometimes)
Taurus TCP (just got it, have been carrying it as a BUG/ accessible car piece)
Benchmade griptillion (half serrated)
Lethermen Juice s2
Streamlight stylus pro
Pen
Keys
Wallet
Watch

I'm a grad student so I'm not able to have a gun on campus. Given that I'd prefer not getting booted from my program, I don't bring my guns with me there. My field also puts me in public schools as well - so no carry the either.

Off topic: this actually really irks me, the notion of gun free zones is just stupid.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #15

Scenario 1
Glock 23 in Kholster Full Moon IWB (or Glock SC OWB)
Spare mag in Glock holder
Calebas Doubly Duty Gun Belt

Scenario 2

S&W 642 in Dom Hume IWB (or Uncle Mike's Pocket #3)
2 Bianchi Speed Strips in old cell phone case

Plus
Kershaw Leek
Fenix PD20
Samsung Convoy
Junker Pilot watch
Cash/Card clip
Keys

I also have back pack I keep in the car which will hold important emergency items like water, protein bars, mutli-tool, para-cord, etc... but for now it holds an extra pair of glasses ( I wear lenses), medication, Bible, stun gun and miscellaneous things like ipod, pens...

Last edited by mark1616; 12-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetelestai

Off topic: this actually really irks me, the notion of gun free zones is just stupid.
Oh man, me too! I'm not in school or have any reason to be on school propert but I find it rediculous! K-12 not so much but colleges yes. I live in Richmond VA and I have some friends who go to VCU and last month alone there were 3 violent crimes in a 3 week period. All involving a guy or group with guns who held up students for cash and other stuff. Campus gun bans obviously aren't deterring criminals so let the good guys carry and make it known that good guys are possibly carrying and I'm sure it will die down a good bit.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #17

The best type of weapon mounted light are the ones that serve as weapon mounted but are easily removed to be carried by the hand. though those are more common for AR/shotgun lights.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry a variety of guns depending on what I'm doing and how I'm dressed.

My duty rig at work is a Glock 17 loaded with 124 grain +P PDX1, 3 spare mags on my belt, can of Fox 5.3 OC spray, 26 inch ASP baton, 2 pair of Peerless handcuffs, Streamlight Stinger DS light, a pouch with a few pair a rubber gloves and a radio. Carry a Benchmade Griptillian knife. Currently caring my PF9 as back up on my ankle, but that is being replaced with an LCR in 357. In the car I keep a bag containing 3 more pistol mags, various shotgun loads, AR mags, 2 sets of extra handcuffs, zip cuffs, extra flashlight, tac gloves, multi tool, another folding knife, and various other gear. Car also has the shotgun and AR ready to go.

Off duty I carry the same Glock or my M&P compact .40 with PDX1 rounds, one spare mag and the same Benchmade knife. Sometimes I'll keep a small can of spray on me as well. At night I keep a small flashlight.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Warm weather- Kahr CW9 w/+p 115gr Speer iwb Galco or a Ruger LC9 same load same holster. Cooler weather Springfield XDSC with supplied XD gear holster in 40sw 135gr Blackhills hp, if I change barrels to my EFK .357 sig same holster and Winchester 125 gr fmj (that's all they had at the time)