EDC kits?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > EDC kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default EDC kits?

Well I started this on the accessories and gear page but figured I'd get a better response here...I wanted to get some different ideas about what you guys (and gals) have for your every day carry. I'll start us off

-Springfield XD .40 service in a Concealment Soultions Black Mamba IWB holster
- 2 mags (24 rounds) of hornady TAP
- kershaw volt II folder
- smith and wesson extreme ops folder (back up)
- streamlight polytac led flashlight
- Gerber multi tool
And of course, my trusty iPhone 4

So what do you guys like to carry? Do you keep it simple or walk around like bat man with a utility belt? I want to know!

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

No utility belt here. I have several in my carry rotation from 9mm to .45AP, which I trade out every couple of weeks plus a .380 back-up. No extra mags because I can draw & fire another pistol faster than I can insert a new mag & even that is strictly in the case of a malfunction with my primary. I figure if I need more than 8 rounds, I failed to recognize a problem that could have been avoided, to start with. Since I am retired, nothing forces me to go anywhere that I can foresee a problem, like a trip to the bad side of town, etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Liked 700 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

On my person, during the warm Spring/Summer... Radom P64 in 9x18mm & extra mag w/ Hornady defense rounds, half-serrated 3 1/2 blade Spyderco pocket knife (one handed opening type), cell phone (fully charged), wallet, my reading glasses, a clean hanky, and MOST important... my driver's license and CCW permit in a separate ID case for quick access should the need arise (ALWAYS have it on you when you carry!!) and a palm leaf cowboy hat.
In the Fall/Winter.. replace the Radom with my Ruger P95 & an extra mag (... again, loaded w/ Hornady defense) and a wool cowboy hat..... I also try and have a smile on my face where ever I go (puts others in a good mood and avoids confrontations)...
Now in the vehicles.... 1st aid kit, jumper cables, short trenching tool, hatchet, blanket, about 20ft of rope, small fire extinguisher and a maglite each... of course, there is always AAA too. Fortune always favors the prepared.

Last edited by NC1760; 12-20-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

What about the "extras"? After all, our pistols are just 1 survival tool. We need to supplement that. What kind of light, folder, multi tool, etc?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

"No extra mags because I can draw & fire another pistol faster than I can insert a new mag & even that is strictly in the case of a malfunction with my primary." ....I do believe that would be called a "New York Reload" according to me father-in-law

"What about the "extras"? After all, our pistols are just 1 survival tool. We need to supplement that. What kind of light, folder, multi tool, etc?"
....Not quite sure what you mean there my friend. Gun, extra mag, pocket knife...... maybe a small light of some kind (possibly attached to the gun?).... What more should you need (and more importantly, Why??)... Could you expand on the question?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
"What about the "extras"? Not quite sure what you mean there my friend. Gun, extra mag, pocket knife...... maybe a small light of some kind (possibly attached to the gun?).... What more should you need (and more importantly, Why??)... Could you expand on the question?
I'm talking about any other survival tools you might actually need. Not just self defense items. For example, a multi tool for any unexpected little repairs you might need. A light for looking under the hood if you break down in the middle of the night, etc. So you pretty much answered it, although I wouldnt carry a weapon mounted light only because if I do need to check fluids on my truck at 10 at night I don't want on lookers thinking I'm about to shoot my engine up

Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

On more than one occasion I've though of doing exactly that, just shoot the hell out of my truck.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
On more than one occasion I've though of doing exactly that, just shoot the hell out of my truck.
Oh me too but I haven't and shining a weapon mounted light at my truck would probably get some unwanted attention

Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #9

...and you guys just gave me another smile to carry.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In my pockets:
Torch lighter
Leatherman multitool
4" Cold Steel folder
Fenix TA20 tactical light
(Pen, chap Stick, Phone, Wallet, Keys).

On my person:
Glock 17L.

In my EDC bag (a camera bag always with me at home or left in the car when I'm out):
Two spare mags (34 rounds).
22oz water bottle,
Mini Duct Tape roll (1" x 75' I think)
Spare C123 Batteries (flashlight)
Filter for water bottle
Iodine Tablets
Deodorant
Toothbrush / Paste
$2 in Quarters (parking, etc)
Disposable and Non-Disposable ear plugs.
Water Purification Tablets
Knife Sharpener
Aspirin
Claritin (to relieve cold symptoms).
Miniature Corkscrew ( )
Bottle of lotion (for my hands :P )
Another pen
Some peppermints (for my breath :P )
Ibuprofen
Gun Club badge
Fruit Bar

The idea is that first, I ALWAYS have at least a knife / multitool, a good light, and lighter (just because it is small enough for pockets). Where legal / allowed, I will have my weapon on me, or at least in the car.
Finally, with the EDC bag, the idea is that I can pretty easily grab it and get the essentials. Basically, if I ever had to bail from my car for whatever reason, I might not have time to grab a full pack from the trunk, but snatching the bag from the passenger seat is easy.

So, including with the EDC bag I have basic survival tools, a bit of food, a bit of water, fire, extra ammo, and then several comforts that might be missed (the medicine and toiletries, for example). And actually, I use and refill the water bottle probably 5 days of the week, and I occasionally used the toiletries if I end up staying with away from home at the last minute.

*edit*

I am not against weapon-mounted lights, but I agree a good, variable-powered handheld flashlight has just been WAY too handy to not have. I use it at least a couple nights a week, whether looking for keys in the dark or, a couple nights ago, using it to identify faded street sights by shining the 225-lumen beam through the windshield .

Last edited by Lindenwood; 12-20-2011 at 04:47 PM.