Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   EDC kits? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/edc-kits-53824/)

ThinkFastHolsters 12-19-2011 05:18 PM

EDC kits?

Well I started this on the accessories and gear page but figured I'd get a better response here...I wanted to get some different ideas about what you guys (and gals) have for your every day carry. I'll start us off

-Springfield XD .40 service in a Concealment Soultions Black Mamba IWB holster
- 2 mags (24 rounds) of hornady TAP
- kershaw volt II folder
- smith and wesson extreme ops folder (back up)
- streamlight polytac led flashlight
- Gerber multi tool
And of course, my trusty iPhone 4

So what do you guys like to carry? Do you keep it simple or walk around like bat man with a utility belt? I want to know!

gollygee 12-19-2011 06:42 PM

No utility belt here. I have several in my carry rotation from 9mm to .45AP, which I trade out every couple of weeks plus a .380 back-up. No extra mags because I can draw & fire another pistol faster than I can insert a new mag & even that is strictly in the case of a malfunction with my primary. I figure if I need more than 8 rounds, I failed to recognize a problem that could have been avoided, to start with. Since I am retired, nothing forces me to go anywhere that I can foresee a problem, like a trip to the bad side of town, etc.

NC1760 12-19-2011 06:58 PM

On my person, during the warm Spring/Summer... Radom P64 in 9x18mm & extra mag w/ Hornady defense rounds, half-serrated 3 1/2 blade Spyderco pocket knife (one handed opening type), cell phone (fully charged), wallet, my reading glasses, a clean hanky, and MOST important... my driver's license and CCW permit in a separate ID case for quick access should the need arise (ALWAYS have it on you when you carry!!) and a palm leaf cowboy hat.
In the Fall/Winter.. replace the Radom with my Ruger P95 & an extra mag (... again, loaded w/ Hornady defense) and a wool cowboy hat..... I also try and have a smile on my face where ever I go (puts others in a good mood and avoids confrontations)...
Now in the vehicles.... 1st aid kit, jumper cables, short trenching tool, hatchet, blanket, about 20ft of rope, small fire extinguisher and a maglite each... of course, there is always AAA too. Fortune always favors the prepared.

ThinkFastHolsters 12-20-2011 03:49 AM

What about the "extras"? After all, our pistols are just 1 survival tool. We need to supplement that. What kind of light, folder, multi tool, etc?

NC1760 12-20-2011 11:53 AM

"No extra mags because I can draw & fire another pistol faster than I can insert a new mag & even that is strictly in the case of a malfunction with my primary." ....I do believe that would be called a "New York Reload" according to me father-in-law ;)

"What about the "extras"? After all, our pistols are just 1 survival tool. We need to supplement that. What kind of light, folder, multi tool, etc?"
....Not quite sure what you mean there my friend. Gun, extra mag, pocket knife...... maybe a small light of some kind (possibly attached to the gun?).... What more should you need (and more importantly, Why??)... Could you expand on the question? :confused:

ThinkFastHolsters 12-20-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1760
"What about the "extras"? Not quite sure what you mean there my friend. Gun, extra mag, pocket knife...... maybe a small light of some kind (possibly attached to the gun?).... What more should you need (and more importantly, Why??)... Could you expand on the question? :confused:

I'm talking about any other survival tools you might actually need. Not just self defense items. For example, a multi tool for any unexpected little repairs you might need. A light for looking under the hood if you break down in the middle of the night, etc. So you pretty much answered it, although I wouldnt carry a weapon mounted light only because if I do need to check fluids on my truck at 10 at night I don't want on lookers thinking I'm about to shoot my engine up :p

trip286 12-20-2011 02:07 PM

On more than one occasion I've though of doing exactly that, just shoot the hell out of my truck.

ThinkFastHolsters 12-20-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
On more than one occasion I've though of doing exactly that, just shoot the hell out of my truck.

Oh me too but I haven't and shining a weapon mounted light at my truck would probably get some unwanted attention

NC1760 12-20-2011 04:31 PM

...and you guys just gave me another smile to carry. :D

Lindenwood 12-20-2011 04:44 PM

In my pockets:
Torch lighter
Leatherman multitool
4" Cold Steel folder
Fenix TA20 tactical light
(Pen, chap Stick, Phone, Wallet, Keys).

On my person:
Glock 17L.

In my EDC bag (a camera bag always with me at home or left in the car when I'm out):
Two spare mags (34 rounds).
22oz water bottle,
Mini Duct Tape roll (1" x 75' I think)
Spare C123 Batteries (flashlight)
Filter for water bottle
Iodine Tablets
Deodorant
Toothbrush / Paste
$2 in Quarters (parking, etc)
Disposable and Non-Disposable ear plugs.
Water Purification Tablets
Knife Sharpener
Aspirin
Claritin (to relieve cold symptoms).
Miniature Corkscrew ( :) )
Bottle of lotion (for my hands :P )
Another pen
Some peppermints (for my breath :P )
Ibuprofen
Gun Club badge
Fruit Bar

The idea is that first, I ALWAYS have at least a knife / multitool, a good light, and lighter (just because it is small enough for pockets). Where legal / allowed, I will have my weapon on me, or at least in the car.
Finally, with the EDC bag, the idea is that I can pretty easily grab it and get the essentials. Basically, if I ever had to bail from my car for whatever reason, I might not have time to grab a full pack from the trunk, but snatching the bag from the passenger seat is easy.

So, including with the EDC bag I have basic survival tools, a bit of food, a bit of water, fire, extra ammo, and then several comforts that might be missed (the medicine and toiletries, for example). And actually, I use and refill the water bottle probably 5 days of the week, and I occasionally used the toiletries if I end up staying with away from home at the last minute.

*edit*

I am not against weapon-mounted lights, but I agree a good, variable-powered handheld flashlight has just been WAY too handy to not have. I use it at least a couple nights a week, whether looking for keys in the dark or, a couple nights ago, using it to identify faded street sights by shining the 225-lumen beam through the windshield :D .