Dunn - CCW Claims Self Defense

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Dunn - CCW Claims Self Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 159 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default Dunn - CCW Claims Self Defense

Life w/out Payroll? Harsh sentence? Weigh In.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/justice/michael-dunn-sentencing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

He tossed rounds into a fleeing vehicle, with no return fire. They had no gun. He never called 911 to report anything.

Those were some of his first errors in judgment. His final error in judgment, he represented himself in court, no attorney. How dumb is that?

Guy is safer in jail, as all of us are.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #3

Liked 2672 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

Guy is safer in jail, as are all of us. Fixed it for you.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 507 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Dunn, wearing an orange jumpsuit, showed no emotion.

Healey said Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law was widely misunderstood.

"We should remember there is nothing wrong with retreating and deescalating the situation," the judge said.
I think that's what people should pay attention to, I have seen lots of posts on this forum stating they could shoot someone because were not required to retreat, because the law says so. The law is never as black and white as some people seem to think. In this case he got what he deserved.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 198 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 48

He's a murderer. Not all self defense cases are justified. Here you can't shoot anyone while fleeing, armed or not.

As far as standing your ground, weather or not you shoot someone is between you and God. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean its always right. There are circumstances where a stand your ground shooting is warranted and there are circumstances where someone may choose to shoot someone just because they have there right.
For me, I am only going to draw my weapon and shoot if all other methods of defense are out of the window.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-18-2014 at 06:24 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I think that's what people should pay attention to, I have seen lots of posts on this forum stating they could shoot someone because were not required to retreat, because the law says so. The law is never as black and white as some people seem to think. In this case he got what he deserved.
They keep throwing around "stand your ground" and confusing people, this case is not about stand your ground nor was Trayvon's case. Stand your ground is a law that would say that if someone is running after you with a knife, or other weapon you have a duty to "run away" and you cannot defend yourself with force until you have attempted to get away, in stand your ground states you do not have to run away you can "stand your ground" given you did not instigate the situation. If you are involved in the provocation and did not attempt to retreat or diffuse the situation with a CCW you will be found guilty of murder / attempted murder, whatever.

CCW is a big responsibility, I feel sorry for some people I know that brag that they only had to take a one hour CCW class in Florida to get their Cert. As if it's a badge of honor. I would much rather spend the extra time and be prepared between my ears where it counts BEFORE a situation versus shooting first and whining "I was in fear of my life" but it doesn't work for the jury. 1 hour CCW certification training is what needs to be outlawed.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 507 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
1 hour CCW certification training is what needs to be outlawed
Some here carry for self defense, ironically in this part of the UK there is no training required.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

No < Should be a common sense test. This guy needed NO firearm. Functional idiot to fire on them. To bad they give him death.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
No < Should be a common sense test. This guy needed NO firearm. Functional idiot to fire on them. To bad they give him death.
Death would have saved an awfully lot of money for tax payers.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Guy is safer in jail, as are all of us. Fixed it for you.
If that was broken, best follow me around and pack a lunch.

I must admit, as I wonder about walmart and listen to fifteen languages and 2/3's of them paying with food stamp credit cards they dont have to pay back, because I am paying it, driving cars with no tags, no insurance and no drivers licence, not born in this country, no citizenship, no green card, no nothing.

If my written and sometimes spoken language is a bit off, I figure the last guy paying the light bill, turn off the lights when it all quits working.

I think we are pretty close to the pivital moment where the band is playing and water is half way up the deck chairs.

Grammer at this point is like arranging the forks on the Titanic.