Dream gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Dream gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dream gun?

Hello guys, first off I want to say that I am new to the forum.
Over the last few weeks I have been scouring the internet to find the pistol for me, and have continuously come up short. What I really am looking for is a dead reliable single action ONLY pistol. Just to enunciate, single action only to me is similar to a 1911 trigger, not a Glock or XD's. I would prefer if there was not a decocker like fnh's design. I have investigated from fnh's design to Taurus to CZ to even sig and haven't found the ideal design (for me at least). Thanks for the help, I will be looking forward to any suggestions you have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Welcome to the FirearmsTalk. We have an "Introductions" area that will provide you with some guidance here. Please stop in.

Now to your dream gun.
It sounds like you already identified what you want. I would suggest a 1911 with a 4.75" barrel. No decocker, Single Action, Easy to maintain and get parts for.
If the factory grips don't fit, you can get others.
They come in different flavors (blue, stainless steel, parkerized, or painted however you want).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Sounds like something from John Browning would fit the bill. A 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power would be first choices to check out.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

I have thought the same thing, but isn't the 1911 much less durable than some of the new polymer framed pistols? Second of all, it's a very heavy gun, while I'm no looking for a concealed carry gun, a 1911 is just a little to heavy. Now, this being said, I am not bashing the 1911 at all. I love them, and fully intend to get one in the very near future.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmer3 View Post
I have thought the same thing, but isn't the 1911 much less durable than some of the new polymer framed pistols? Second of all, it's a very heavy gun, while I'm no looking for a concealed carry gun, a 1911 is just a little to heavy. Now, this being said, I am not bashing the 1911 at all. I love them, and fully intend to get one in the very near future.
There is a very good reason the 1911 is the most successful gun design in history, and its durability is a big part of that. Whoever gave you the impression that the 1911 is not durable was very mistaken.

Heavy? When you're firing .45ACP, weight is your friend.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
1911s are very very very durable. more so than poly guns. my personal ccw choice is the colt new agent 1911. 7 round mags will accept standard sized and extended mags if you so desire. weighing in at 25oz lighter than some smaller guns. i put recoil and muzzle flip on par with my sig p220.

if you dont like the lack of traditional sights get a colt defender.

i find them exceedingly accurate for ccw work.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And heeeeeeeeer's cane!

The only Colt/1911 you will NEED is the 4.25" Combat Commander! I would go with the Lightweight Enhanced Combat Commander.

^ Model O4860XSE Lightweight Combat Commander

^ Model O4012XSE SS Combat Commander

IF, you want true mouse gun CCW in 45 ACP and don't want to carry a bobby pin to field strip your PD gun consider one of these:

^ Colt New Agent 3"

^ Colt Defender

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And then there's The Browning Hi-Power in 9mm:

Get one.........or two:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #9

Can newer colts feed hollow points consistently now?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Can newer colts feed hollow points consistently now?
my series 70 and new agent feed empty cases, hollow points, wadcutters, semi wadcutters, fmj without issues. havent found anything they wont cycle. my brother's series 70 circa 1975 manufacture does the same thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...