Double Stack? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Double Stack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotex View Post
Ya, I hope to never have to do anything but complain what it makes my back feel like but I am afraid that is not the world we lived any longer and yes always with extra clip on me and a box of a hundred in the car.. Who knows?

Tex
Was the birdie in the first pic intentional?! Lol

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Will be carrying a Glock 20 with modified extended mags from a Glock 21. Holds 31 and one in the pipe.

Center top pocket bib overalls, ordered them yesterday.
Bib overalls for daily wear? I dig your style m'friend! So how large is this pocket, because that sounds like open carry? If I were going to open carry it would definitely be a double stack!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
While firearm/holster selection is a big part of concealed carry, so is clothing choice. I'm not talking super baggy, either. Plain, single color shirts will show a print faster than a patterned shirt. Light colors will print faster than dark colors. Stripes will print faster than checks or plaids, especially horizontal stripes. Random pattern shirts are the best. Picture a tie died or Hawaiian shirt for an example of this. Button shirts beat pullovers unless the pullover is baggy.
Great observations and logical conclusions. If one was inclined to wear such clothing I could see a double stack being a very wise selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
One thing to keep in mind. You get in a mindset that because you are doing something different by carrying a gun, people are looking at you. Don't flatter yourself. Nobody cares about you. They just want to avoid eye contact and get on with their day.
Exactly, I've been saying this exact thing ever since I started carrying.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Great observations and logical conclusions. If one was inclined to wear such clothing I could see a double stack being a very wise selection.
While I'm not one to wear the tie dye, I do wear a lot of patterned shirts. Either a subtle plaid dress shirt or a subtle Hawaiian style shirt. The ones I pick are square cut at the bottom so they can be warn OWB, and they are not tapered. It's great being retired and living in a sub-tropical state with a high percentage of tourists. I can wear anything I want and the worst thing people will think is Damn Yankee! <grin>

Anyway, at 5'9 165, I am able to conceal up to a 4 inch K frame or 1911 with the shirts I choose. The 1911 draws easier because of my anatomical geometry, but either one is completely hidden. I chose the Glock 27 because I shoot it better, not because I need the smaller size to conceal it.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #15

Liked 1135 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

Bib overalls for daily wear? I dig your style m'friend! So how large is this pocket, because that sounds like open carry? If I were going to open carry it would definitely be a double stack!
My permit to carry is new. Came a week ago. I used to have a permit in the 70's, so I am familiar with what I like. I used to wear a jackass rig with a security six Ruger. The bib overall is like a jackass rig with pants attached, is my goal. I wear scrub tops at work and casual pants, so I think it will still look like my clothes are the same.

I may have to modify the bib to hold the Glock, won't know till it shows, ordered from amazon.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have several double-stacked .40's and .45's. They are not all that hard to conceal. The thickness of the grip is not as big a factor as the height. The piece I carry most often in warm weather (March thru November in South Carolina), is a Para Warthog, model WHX1045R, which is a .45 ACP with 3" barrel and is double-stacked with 10 + 1 capacity. It is 4.75" high, which helps keep the grip from protruding, so it doesn't "print" with a loose-fitting shirt. Another pretty good gun for the purpose is a Taurus model PT-940, a 10 + 1 double-stacked .40, that is just 5" high, has a 3 7/8" barrel. If you use a "compact" model, which generally has a shorter grip than a full-size model of a similar gun, you can conceal it pretty easily.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 04-11-2013 at 10:26 PM.