Double edged question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Double edged question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralguthrie
No, the state of Oklahoma has a box to check for the type of gun you will use in your CC class. If you use a revolver to qualify you can only carry a revolver. If you use an semi-auto (pistol) then you can carry whatever you want. Revolver, pistol or derringer.

There is no CC permit needed to transport or use a rifle. Surely as a former LE you know this! So far as I know a civilian can't carry a loaded rifle in their vehicle.
No LEO knows every law, it doesnt matter how long ur in.. You are constantly learning something. Oklahoma criminal laws "title 21" is where all of the CCL laws are located. There are 14 pages worth of CCL laws in this section. I can sit here and recite everything inside title 21 laws like a bedtime story to everyone but i just simply asked the question for anyone tht knew the answer

Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 AM   #12

State statute 1290.2.

1. "concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and
2. "pistol" means any derringer, revolver, or semi automatic firearm which: A. Has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
B. Is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
C. Is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and D. Uses either gun powder, gas, or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the oklahoma self defense act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, under water fishing guns or blank pistols..

Nothing in this section about loaded rifles being legal or illegal

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #13

Default You are correct

Mr. McWray,

Nothing in this section about loaded rifles being legal or illegal...

You are confusing a rifle law with concealed carry laws. Laws for rifles have been around for years.

You are quoting from the Concealed Carry laws. They have nothing to do with the transport of a rifle. In Oklahoma the law has been for years if you want to transport your rifle in your vehicle, unload it. I believe now it is permissible to carry the ammo separate but inside the vehicle. A rifle is not a concealed carry weapon. The laws specify what a concealed carry gun is.

Rifles can be carried openly and loaded. Hard to hunt otherwise.

And I respectively disagree with your view about you not knowing all the gun laws. How can you enforce these laws if you don't know them? Law enforcement better know the gun laws or get another career. In Oklahoma if a LEO gets the concealed carry laws wrong and arrests someone that was actually in compliance with the law, they that LEO is responsible for all court, lawyer and out of pocket expenses incurred by the CCP holder. I'll say again, it is the responsibility of the LEO to know the law, BEFORE trying to enforce them.

LJG

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I didnt really mean fully loaded and ready to rock. I always have my M4 in the tactical soft case and 4 loaded 30rd mags in the outer mag holders
What's the difference between fully loaded and ready to rock and loaded in the seat?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralguthrie
Mr. McWray,

Nothing in this section about loaded rifles being legal or illegal...

You are confusing a rifle law with concealed carry laws. Laws for rifles have been around for years.

You are quoting from the Concealed Carry laws. They have nothing to do with the transport of a rifle. In Oklahoma the law has been for years if you want to transport your rifle in your vehicle, unload it. I believe now it is permissible to carry the ammo separate but inside the vehicle. A rifle is not a concealed carry weapon. The laws specify what a concealed carry gun is.

Rifles can be carried openly and loaded. Hard to hunt otherwise.

And I respectively disagree with your view about you not knowing all the gun laws. How can you enforce these laws if you don't know them? Law enforcement better know the gun laws or get another career. In Oklahoma if a LEO gets the concealed carry laws wrong and arrests someone that was actually in compliance with the law, they that LEO is responsible for all court, lawyer and out of pocket expenses incurred by the CCP holder. I'll say again, it is the responsibility of the LEO to know the law, BEFORE trying to enforce them.

LJG
I dont need someone to tell me tht the long gun laws are totally different than the CC laws,im already aware of this.. I asked. Simple question tht required a simple answer, i didnt ask it to receive a different version of wat i meant,And next time read my statement a little better. I did not say tht i dont know the oklahoma gun laws, i said tht No officer knows ALL the laws off the top of their head. Being a cop is a Continuous learning process. There will always b a situation where u may not know how the law dictates,so u ask a fellow officer and usually someone will know.. Or if not then u call ur DA and they will tell you. Its common sense tht u dont just make an arrest without knowing the law on the particular matter so dont take me for stupid. The ability to learn as u go along makes u a better officer in the field.. CLEET doesnt make u memorize the entire law book before u graduate. Every officer asks questions, ive had fellow officers with 15 years of experience ask me questions tht they didnt know the answer to but i did.. Its best to know exactly wat a person is meaning instead of assuming and filling in the blanks with ur own version..yes i do know the gun laws, yes i do have the common sense and experience to uphold the laws correctly, and yes i do ask questions when im not sure about something.. Im human just like every other cop out there

Last edited by MrWray; 09-22-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #16

I apologize to everyone for asking a question tht i didnt particularly know the answer to. Its my fault tht i dont know everything.... Wont happen again

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #17

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralguthrie View Post
What's the difference between fully loaded and ready to rock and loaded in the seat?

Do you have a round in the pipe or not. If you have a round in the chamber, then you're ready to rock and roll. Yeah, it's that crucial second and a half.

MrWray, why apologize for asking a question? It's not an issue. Hell, I'd rather have a question asked than not. Anyone that thinks every LEO should know all the laws should just try and pick up the books at one time. Not physically possible.
Better to err on the side of caution.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH1961

Do you have a round in the pipe or not. If you have a round in the chamber, then you're ready to rock and roll. Yeah, it's that crucial second and a half.

MrWray, why apologize for asking a question? It's not an issue. Hell, I'd rather have a question asked than not. Anyone that thinks every LEO should know all the laws should just try and pick up the books at one time. Not physically possible.
Better to err on the side of caution.
Thank you sir for your comment, you are exactly right. Laws are changed, modified, and newly introduced all the time. On top of the thousands of laws that already exist there is no way to know them all. Its a constant learning process, i would rather ask a question than make a wrong decision. Some people just dont get it i guess... 

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #19

Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Fla. has CWP. Concealed Weapons Permit. It's all good.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I think in ohio, if your transporting, there is a certain way you have to carry even with a permit. I do know its legal to keep it on your person and thats how i would roll anyway.