Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Double edged question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/double-edged-question-48404/)

MrWray 09-17-2011 07:43 PM

Double edged question

All the years as a LEO i never worried about this scenario but... Say a person has their CCP and they r transporting their loaded AR15 to a range or a friends house ETC. Are they commiting a crime?

kenhesr 09-17-2011 08:35 PM

Nope! At least not in my state. My CCW covers ALL legal handguns, rifles and shotguns. Loaded or empty, open carry or concealed, in or out of a vehicle, etc....

My loaded AR-15 lives in my truck or car trunk year round.

I'm sure other states have their own rules but we are get'in downright civilized round here! :D

MrWray 09-17-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenhesr
Nope! At least not in my state. My CCW covers ALL legal handguns, rifles and shotguns. Loaded or empty, open carry or concealed, in or out of a vehicle, etc....

My loaded AR-15 lives in my truck or car trunk year round.

I'm sure other states have their own rules but we are get'in downright civilized round here! :D

In oklahoma the application has a check box on wat u r gonna carry.. Dilinger " i know i spelled it wrong", semi auto,or revolver, but it doesnt specify anything about rifles or shotguns.. It may b in the book somewhere but i havent seen it

lastrebel70 09-17-2011 09:04 PM

In Tennessee, rifles and shotguns can be carried with a loaded mag but empty chamber if you have a CCW permit, if you don't they have to be completely unloaded. Actually as the law is written if you have you gun and a box of ammo on the back seat, you are breaking the law.

c3shooter 09-17-2011 09:42 PM

There are at LEAST 50 different answers to your question. Each state has their own laws regarding transport of firearms.

Now, in many of them, your concern is not over a "concealed weapon", as a rifle is NOT a concealable weapon in law. A Virginia permit is to "Carry Concealed HANDGUN".

You may need to check your state Game and Fisheries code. And I would ask- whatindahell are you doing carrying a loaded rifle to the range? Or are you poaching????

trip286 09-17-2011 09:50 PM

what c3shooter said. 50 states, 50 different answers. In MS vehicle carry is legal no matter what (with a few exclusions, like college campus, fed property, felony convictions) no permit, no problem, as long as your 18 or older. Loaded with a round in the chamber, no biggie. Even handguns at 18 or older.

Tackleberry1 09-17-2011 09:57 PM

Oregon issues a CHL, "Concealed Handgun License".
Washington issues a "License to carry concealed pistol".:eek:Guess I'll leave the revolvers at home.:p

TACK

MrWray 09-17-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
There are at LEAST 50 different answers to your question. Each state has their own laws regarding transport of firearms.

Now, in many of them, your concern is not over a "concealed weapon", as a rifle is NOT a concealable weapon in law. A Virginia permit is to "Carry Concealed HANDGUN".

You may need to check your state Game and Fisheries code. And I would ask- whatindahell are you doing carrying a loaded rifle to the range? Or are you poaching????

I didnt really mean fully loaded and ready to rock. I always have my M4 in the tactical soft case and 4 loaded 30rd mags in the outer mag holders

yrralguthrie 09-22-2011 03:10 AM

No, the state of Oklahoma has a box to check for the type of gun you will use in your CC class. If you use a revolver to qualify you can only carry a revolver. If you use an semi-auto (pistol) then you can carry whatever you want. Revolver, pistol or derringer.

There is no CC permit needed to transport or use a rifle. Surely as a former LE you know this! So far as I know a civilian can't carry a loaded rifle in their vehicle.

trip286 09-22-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yrralguthrie (Post 584158)
So far as I know a civilian can't carry a loaded rifle in their vehicle.

Maybe not where your from!! Sometimes I love this backwards hole I live in!