Does Requiring a CCW Decrease Crime? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does Requiring a CCW Decrease Crime?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Does Requiring a CCW Decrease Crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
so you propose everyone should get mandatory training before they are allowed to buy or possess a firearm?

Not at all. I just don't think people should be forced to carry a gun if they aren't comfortable with them. I think their are already too many hoops an honest citizen who wants to carry a firearm have to jump through. I'm applying for my license now and it pisses me off I have to pay for a training course when I have been around firearms all my life. I think it is a good idea for everyone to carry a firearm as long as they are comfortable.
I don't think everyone carrying will be a deterrent and could cause more harm than good if people who are not comfortable operating firearms started carrying them.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danziger_Bridge_shootings

Here is an example of trained officers panicking and using force that got them into trouble.

To buy and posess no, to cc you should at least know the basic functions of a firearm.

Last edited by ccase39; 08-13-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #52

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Not speculation but experience. I do see your point about malicious intent but dead is dead weather it comes from friendly fire or unfriendly fire. When people are scared and hysterical their judgement can give way to adrenaline or fight or flight instinct. Training is what gives people that split second to assess the situation that an untrained person or someone who is not 100% comfortable with guns. In the situation I was in there were far more scared civilians than their were criminals.
I'd say it's only a small percentage of people that own guns that have no idea of how to operate them, I mean even on the forms when you purchase a firearm from an FFL you have to answer truthfully as to if you already know how to operate that firearm safely. People usually don't go out and buy and possess firearms unless they plan to know how to use them, and considering it takes 1/10th the brainpower to operate even the most complex of firearms compared to driving a car I would say training should be at the user's discretion. And then you have guys like most of the guys on here that have had guns since childhood and could out instruct the instructors and we have the attitude "who are you"? to someone with only a year of pistol training and never fired a firearm outside of a shooting club, to turn and try to make sure you know what YOU are doing.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Not at all. I just don't think people should be forced to carry a gun if they aren't comfortable with them. I think their are already too many hoops an honest citizen who wants to carry a firearm have to jump through. I'm applying for my license now and it pisses me off I have to pay for a training course when I have been around firearms all my life. I think it is a good idea for everyone to carry a firearm as long as they are comfortable.
I don't think everyone carrying will be a deterrent and could cause more harm than good if people who are not comfortable operating firearms started carrying them.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danziger_Bridge_shootings

Here is an example of trained officers panicking and using force that got them into trouble.
first of all, i don't ever think training should be mandatory to buy and possess a gun at anytime, as in never.

but i highly stress anyone who owns a gun and takes that responsibility seriously to seek out training and instruction if they are unfamiliar with guns.

on a second note. all the training in the world won't compensate for lack of using common sense and good judgement.

and i promise you, if i'm pointing a gun at someone, you can just about bet that i have reached a point where i'm in fear for my life. as in scared.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
first of all, i don't ever think training should be mandatory to buy and possess a gun at anytime, as in never.

but i highly stress anyone who owns a gun and takes that responsibility seriously to seek out training and instruction if they are unfamiliar with guns.

on a second note. all the training in the world won't compensate for lack of using common sense and good judgement.

and i promise you, if i'm pointing a gun at someone, you can just about bet that i have reached a point where i'm in fear for my life. as in scared.
Very well said.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #55

Liked 200 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
I just don't think people should be forced to carry a gun if they aren't comfortable with them.
Agreed 100%,if a person doesn't WANT to exercise the right, they don't have to. Just don't interfere with MY ability to exercise my rights, that's all I ask.
Quote:
I mean even on the forms when you purchase a firearm from an FFL you have to answer truthfully as to if you already know how to operate that firearm safely.
How much paperwork do they saddle you with up there? No such animal down here, just the 4473 if you do through an FFL.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #56

Liked 2925 Times on 1740 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

i am not sure exactly what you are asking, but imo REQUIRING an individual to own a gun or have a ccw is just as crazy as those who want to ban these freedoms.

you can't REQUIRE ccw or gun ownership anymore than you can REQUIRE someone to get married. that is a personal choice, i don't care if it helps the crime rate or not personally.

personal freedom, as much as possible w/o invading other's rights to their personal freedoms or safety. end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Has anyone ever thought honestly about the real point of states requiring CCW permits vs constitutional carry states, as far as to why? Some people say that if you eliminate permits and have constitutional carry, the crime rate in the entire nation will rise because everyone will be carrying guns, acting like the wild west and accidental discharges will skyrocket because the general public is just one cell past ape, and carrying a handgun is rocket science to us, just too difficult without training, but others say that if you eliminate permits and institute constitutional carry, the crime rate will drop because everyone will be carrying because it's not complicated and criminals will fear the nation becoming like the wild west, so no one is going to take advantage of other people they way they do now. What do you think would actually happen if the entire nation was constitutional carry? My honest opinion is that violent crime and robberies as a whole would drop significantly and you would never hear of accidental discharges etc, but...you might see and increase in domestic violence outside of the home or crimes of passion, because there would be a higher number of people carrying and some things will ultimately go wrong, but random crime for sure and crime as a whole would drop, in my opinion. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #57
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7212 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 14703

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
you can't REQUIRE ccw or gun ownership anymore than you can REQUIRE someone to get married.
Oh yeah?
"The Gun Law
Kennesaw once again was in the news on May 1, 1982, when the city unanimously passed a law requiring "every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition." After passage of the law, the burglary rate in Kennesaw declined and even today, the City has the lowest crime rate in Cobb County."

http://www.kennesaw-ga.gov/visitors/about-us

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #58

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
Agreed 100%,if a person doesn't WANT to exercise the right, they don't have to. Just don't interfere with MY ability to exercise my rights, that's all I ask.

How much paperwork do they saddle you with up there? No such animal down here, just the 4473 if you do through an FFL.
That's probably the actual name of the form I am talking about, but up here they used to up until a year ago make you fill out a safety knowledge test at the police station before you could even acquire a permit to purchase a handgun. Made no sense, I guess handguns were more evil up until a year ago.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1410 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

When everything is said and then said again, truth is, nobody knows. Not a single state has repealed CCW licensing in modern times. No stats exist to compare before vs after. Of course we can chatter about it till Hamas comes to Jesus.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #60

Liked 200 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The 4473 doesn't ask about training, just legal ability to purchase. We can provide our CCW permits down here to by pass the 15 minute phone call wait, or just wander the store for 15 minutes looking for accessories. Handguns are not evil, just evil people who want to keep portable self defense mechanisms away from the law abiding.

Quote:
Kennesaw once again was in the news on May 1, 1982, when the city unanimously passed a law requiring "every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition."
The law also allowed "conscientious objectors" to not own firearms, and of course excluded the prohibited possessors. There was also no penalty in law for not obeying the ordinance. No one was forced to buy a firearm at gun point.