Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I am a CCW holder in Oregon and seems to me I remember reading in the issuing paperwork that since I have a CCW permit, open carry was prohibited. I thought that as progressive as Oregon is in it's gun laws that would hold true for other states as well. I was interested in where that was a statute and whether open carry was prohibited by law in those states and if having a CCW permit made any difference in the application of the law. So far, I'm learning quite a bit about the subject; it's a good discussion.
I've never heard of any state statute that says that if you have a carry permit that you must conceal if that state allows open carry. This doesn't mean that there isn't some law in some state.

I do know of at least one state (Kentucky) where open carry is protected by the state constitution.

Quote:
Kentucky Constitution Section I

All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned:

First: The right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties.

Second: The right of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences.

Third: The right of seeking and pursuing their safety and happiness.

Fourth: The right of freely communicating their thoughts and opinions.

Fifth: The right of acquiring and protecting property.

Sixth: The right of assembling together in a peaceable manner for their common good, and of applying to those invested with the power of government for redress of grievances or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

Text as Ratified on: August 3, 1891, and revised September 28, 1891.
Personally, I think this is one of the best ways for RTKBA to be expressed.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
If you can legally carry concealed, is there ever a reason to open carry?

There is a recent incident in my state where are CCW permitted person open carried, (also very legal), and excited people at a public event. No law violations, but lots of complaints to public officials.

Some folks here may know what I am referring to, and I do not want to debate or question the individual's decisions at the time.

While I would hope more open carrying would make it more acceptable, it seems in doing so could create a threat to the CCW rights.

Am I missing something?
i dont think it would threaten the ccw rights but the purpose of cc is so no one knows u have it, if an evil doer see's u have a gun you would most likely b the first victim

Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
i dont think it would threaten the ccw rights but the purpose of cc is so no one knows u have it, if an evil doer see's u have a gun you would most likely b the first victim
Possible but not likely. Most BG's do not want confrontation. Open Carry basically says "I'll Tango with you". This is also the same "impression" the general public sees as well, and it alarms them. I am an advocate of Concealed Carry and I'm licensed to do so in my state. I am not totally sold on Open Carry as I really would rather not disturb the general public. Even if it is legal to Open Carry.

In the public's eye, perception is everything. Open Carry can create a "bird on a wire" mentallity. Meaning, if one person panics then others will panic just because someone else did for no logical reason at all. It's human nature.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My opinion is CC is tactically sound. If confronted by bad guys, the issue will be resolved.

OC may have a deterrent effect, but we will never know for sure, since if a bad guy chooses easier pickings, he won't tell us,"Man, I thought about robbing you till I saw you carrying."

OC in my region is primarily used for activism. Sometimes with ill effect. It is troubling when citizens are harassed for engaging in a legal activity.

In the current political climate, we could benefit from a "National OC Day."

Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Possible but not likely. Most BG's do not want confrontation. Open Carry basically says "I'll Tango with you". This is also the same "impression" the general public sees as well, and it alarms them. I am an advocate of Concealed Carry and I'm licensed to do so in my state. I am not totally sold on Open Carry as I really would rather not disturb the general public. Even if it is legal to Open Carry.

In the public's eye, perception is everything. Open Carry can create a "bird on a wire" mentallity. Meaning, if one person panics then others will panic just because someone else did for no logical reason at all. It's human nature.
Just curious, what would you do if (as he's reportedly against concealed carry) Obama successfully created a national concealed carry ban?

And, yes, I know this is hypothetical.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
Just curious, what would you do if (as he's reportedly against concealed carry) Obama successfully created a national concealed carry ban?

And, yes, I know this is hypothetical.
We will just have to see "IF" that happens, then see what the State does in responce.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

To open carry will accomplish nothing except to draw attention to you from the good guys as well as the bad ones. If you posses a CCW, carry concealed. It will prevent unwanted attention.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #38

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i agree, y bring any kind of attn to your self good or bad it doesnt make sense some things are best left unknown

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #39

Quote:
My opinion is CC is tactically sound.
My theory too. Getting OC more normalized would be nice, but how do you do it without creating the general panic (or Bird on a wire), condition.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkick View Post
To open carry will accomplish nothing except to draw attention to you from the good guys as well as the bad ones. If you posses a CCW, carry concealed. It will prevent unwanted attention.
This, in my own personal experience, just isn't so. The majority of people in today's society are so oblivious to their surroundings and so wrapped up in their own private worlds to notice anyone carrying openly.

Those who do notice (mostly LEOs) that I'm openly carrying a firearm tend to glance at the firearm, look me in the eyes, and then smile. A rare few with ask me some questions. I've yet to run into an anti (not saying it won't happen).

Anyone that thinks that OC is only detrimental to the cause, I would encorage you to open carry in public ONE time (assuming it is legal in your state or municipality). Engage anyone that asks about your carrying in conversation and give them correct information. That could be the next permit holder who saves someone's life.