Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If I am in a crowded place, or really anywhere in the general public I conceal. If I am hiking, going off-road, or away from the city I will carry open.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In some States, it is illegal for concealed carry permit holders to carry openly. I always carry concealed, why spoil the suprise.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-05-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
In some States, it is illegal for concealed carry permit holders to carry openly. I always carry concealed, why spoil the suprise.
That's my simple philosophy. If someone approaches (attacks) me, then I'd like the element surprize, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #24

Default Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry?

I am going to open carry. I decided to do it after a friend that open carries
was able to stop a possible attack. After the two guys saw his .45 on his side.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by right winger View Post
I am going to open carry. I decided to do it after a friend that open carries
was able to stop a possible attack. After the two guys saw his .45 on his side.
I am sure there are times when a "visible" gun would promptly change someone's mind about a bad action...

Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
In some States, it is illegal for concealed carry permit holders to carry openly.
That is correct. There are exactly 6 states that require permit holders to conceal. Those are Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina, and New York. This is because open carry his prohibited in statute.

Every other state allows open carry to some extent. Even the two states that don't allow concealed carry, Illinois and Wisconsin.

The 42 states that have both legal open and concealed carry do not require the holder of a permit to conceal just because they have been issued a permit.

Last edited by Glock30Owner; 11-06-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
That is correct. There are exactly 6 states that require permit holders to conceal. Those are Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina, and New York. This is because open carry his prohibited in statute.

Every other state allows open carry to some extent. Even the two states that don't allow concealed carry, Illinois and Wisconsin.

The 42 states that have both legal open and concealed carry do not require the holder of a permit to conceal just because they have been issued a permit.
Texas is working on changing that... We have a petition on the Senate floor that has over 20,000 signatures. We are requesting that Open Carry be re-considered.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Texas is working on changing that... We have a petition on the Senate floor that has over 20,000 signatures. We are requesting that Open Carry be re-considered.
Yes, I've been following the petitions of Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. I hope they restore those rights.

I posted what I did because dunerunner seemed to insinuate that open carry was illegal if a person had a concealed carry license/permit. The only places that open carry is illegal for CC licensees are those places that open carry is illegal for everyone. I don't know if dunerunner was being intentionally misleading or if it was a mistake of ignorance.

If I say, "In some states, concealed carry is illegal while open carry is legal," I'm technically right, but I'd be misleading people to assume that more than two states allow this.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
Yes, I've been following the petitions of Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. I hope they restore those rights.

I posted what I did because dunerunner seemed to insinuate that open carry was illegal if a person had a concealed carry license/permit. The only places that open carry is illegal for CC licensees are those places that open carry is illegal for everyone. I don't know if dunerunner was being intentionally misleading or if it was a mistake of ignorance.

If I say, "In some states, concealed carry is illegal while open carry is legal," I'm technically right, but I'd be misleading people to assume that more than two states allow this.
In Texas, open carry is absolutely ILLEGAL for everyone except Law Officers & Military. If you have a CHL and you "display" your weapon, you will lose your CHL priviledge. Concealed means concealed no exceptions.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am a CCW holder in Oregon and seems to me I remember reading in the issuing paperwork that since I have a CCW permit, open carry was prohibited. I thought that as progressive as Oregon is in it's gun laws that would hold true for other states as well. I was interested in where that was a statute and whether open carry was prohibited by law in those states and if having a CCW permit made any difference in the application of the law. So far, I'm learning quite a bit about the subject; it's a good discussion.

People get the government they deserve.