Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/does-ccw-holder-ever-open-carry-7949/)

bgeddes 10-24-2008 04:38 AM

Does a CCW holder, ever Open carry?

If you can legally carry concealed, is there ever a reason to open carry?

There is a recent incident in my state where are CCW permitted person open carried, (also very legal), and excited people at a public event. No law violations, but lots of complaints to public officials.

Some folks here may know what I am referring to, and I do not want to debate or question the individual's decisions at the time.

While I would hope more open carrying would make it more acceptable, it seems in doing so could create a threat to the CCW rights.

Am I missing something?

hillbilly68 10-24-2008 04:52 AM

Tactically it is a poor decision to open carry when you could CCW. But if it legal it shouldn't be an issue other than perceptions.
I never ever tell anyone I am carrying (my close friends know I do, but so are they). Keep them guessing, cause once its out there the escalation of force will have only one way to go. My 2c.

wyocarp 10-24-2008 05:04 AM

The other side of the 2 cents are those of us who feel it doesn't matter and that maybe it is a tactical advantage to open carry. The gun is usually more easily drawn and if a bad guy sees right away that you are carrying, unless he has a death wish, he will probably choose a different target.

stick_man 10-24-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyocarp (Post 46839)
The other side of the 2 cents are those of us who feel it doesn't matter and that maybe it is a tactical advantage to open carry. The gun is usually more easily drawn and if a bad guy sees right away that you are carrying, unless he has a death wish, he will probably choose a different target.

Or he could just target you first to take out the "threat of resistance". Or, if the bad guy has an accomplice, he would possibly do the same.

Either way, if you are open carrying, you give up the element of surprise. Many armed bad guys enter the situation with their guns concealed, survey the scene a little, assess the danger, and then commit their act. If every armed "bystander" was openly carrying, the bad guy has a tactical advantage. He has chosen his target(s) before he comes out in the open and exposed his intentions.

Maintain an element of surprise and you have a tremendous advantage in any confrontation.

Glock30Owner 10-26-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick_man (Post 46902)
Or he could just target you first to take out the "threat of resistance". Or, if the bad guy has an accomplice, he would possibly do the same.

Do you have any documentation to back up this assumption?

Quote:

Either way, if you are open carrying, you give up the element of surprise. Many armed bad guys enter the situation with their guns concealed, survey the scene a little, assess the danger, and then commit their act. If every armed "bystander" was openly carrying, the bad guy has a tactical advantage. He has chosen his target(s) before he comes out in the open and exposed his intentions.

Criminals who commit armed robberies are cowards by nature. Interviews done by the FBI suggest that the presence of an openly carried weapon by a legally armed civillian is a deterent to a crime at that location. The criminal will look for an easier target.

Quote:

Maintain an element of surprise and you have a tremendous advantage in any confrontation.

If open carry was so awful, why do all uniformed police and security personel carry openly? Where is their element of "surprise"?

FCross7 10-27-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock30Owner (Post 47094)
If open carry was so awful, why do all uniformed police and security personel carry openly? Where is their element of "surprise"?

They're uniformed. What's the point of concealing?

supergus 10-27-2008 04:21 AM

In NC there's no law that specifically prohibits open carry, but the LE and sheeple frown upon it. I choose not to, not to scare the sheeple, but to keep the BG guessing. I want the element of surprise to be on my side. If I'm open carrying, he can scope out where my gun is, what type of holster, what type of retension my holster has. Trying to see how easy it would be to disarm me. Let him take his chances when I CC.

wyocarp 10-27-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

I guess we will be doing it differently.

Glock30Owner 10-27-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergus (Post 47217)
In NC there's no law that specifically prohibits open carry, but the LE and sheeple frown upon it. I choose not to, not to scare the sheeple, but to keep the BG guessing. I want the element of surprise to be on my side. If I'm open carrying, he can scope out where my gun is, what type of holster, what type of retension my holster has. Trying to see how easy it would be to disarm me. Let him take his chances when I CC.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no problems with concealed carry, but I do have problems with some of the arguments of those who oppose open carry (not saying that you oppose).

I think the "surprise benefit" that many anti-OCers use is bogus. Would you rather have the element of surprise in drawing on a BG, or would you rather never have to draw because the BG (being cowardly by nature) chose to go someplace else?

I'll admit, that I'm an activist (this isn't for everyone) and I have very strong opinions (of course they are like a$$holes, everyone's got one).

I want everyone who is legally able, to carry a firearm for defense. How better to let people know that they, too, can carry? How better to let people know that not everyone that carries a gun is a raving lunatic or law enforcement?

If open carry isn't right for you, great, but carry that damn gun! Never leave that firearm at home.

c3shooter 10-27-2008 06:59 PM

First- let me say I don't drink. At all. Diabetic. However, law here does not permit a CCW holder to carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol. So if I am taking my lady out to eat at the local restaurant, which DOES serve beer, it is not legal to carry- CONCEALED. So either leave it in car, or take jacket off before entering. 2 in S&W revolver, blued, black holster, dark pants, rarely noticed. Legal, and owner does not object. A number of LEOs off duty eat there, and not uncommon to see one that has taken jacket off. Nobody gets in an uproar.