Does CCW carry change your choice of movement? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

View Poll Results: When deciding where I can travel and whether I should wear my firearm, I believe:
I don't arm myself when I go out. It's for home defense only. 0 0%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I avoid areas that I perceive to be dangerous. 1 2.17%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 2 4.35%
I always wear my weapon. I avoid areas I perceive to be dangerous. 35 76.09%
I always wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 8 17.39%
I always wear my weapon. I'm hoping to be in a gunfight wherever I go. 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #51
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika

I don't know maybe it's because I'm fairly new to handguns, but even the compacts feel tiny and uncomfortable in my hand so I'll be carrying a full size. I don't think ankle carrying a full size would be nice... Plus my feet get into some crazy tight spots.... I've had to be pulled putting before lol.
Not sure how this would work out for you, but when I was still serving, I had a back up Holster (for my Smith 439) that was "strapped" to the inside of my left leg while seated in the cockpit. It was rigged to my left Knee, and when seated the gun could be reached with either hand quickly and allowed a smooth draw. If there was any "EVA" the rig could be switched to an Armband and also came with a Belly Band as well,..wish I remembered the Brand....Darn,.,.,sukks getting old and losing your Memory....Now where did I put that box of subsonic 22's again?!?!?!?!?!?!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #52

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I voted, the reason that my vote wasn't an always carry is because I work 60+ hours a week and I'm employed by a school district that doesn't allow ccws as of right now. ..

Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #53
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8707 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11315

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Thank goodness! I thought this was gonna be a thread about bathrooms to dirty to risk dropping your firearm while pinching one off.
That thread has been overdone in the past...

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Monterey county. Here's the link to what my sheriff has to say on the matter:

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/sheriff/ccw-information.htm
OK, I got this off of the http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/21330-getting-concealed-carry-permit-monterey-county.html website, it was updated less than a year ago so it should still be good info.

Quote:
Introduction:
Getting a Conceal Carry Permit in Monterey County, is not currently hard. It takes some effort mostly in the form of patiently waiting for other people to tell you what to do next. You can bypass some of this by knowing what to do yourself and just getting things done, in advance of the request by whoever or whomever may ask.

The list of things you will need is as follows:
1) Handgun Safety Certificate
2) A Handgun
3) A DMV printout that covers the last 5 years
4) A filled out Application for CCW
5) A Psych Evaluation
6) A home inspection
7) A Firearms qualification for each Gun you want on the permit

Order of Battle:
I am listing exactly the best order you should do these things in. You can of course go in any order you wish, but if you do this, you will have the shortest wait time.

A) Unless you buy a large number of handguns, the Safety Certificate will likely have expired since your last purchase. The Safety Cert test is given at gun store. It costs $20.00 to take the test.

B) Find the gun you want to carry. Most people who are thinking about carrying a gun figure they will carry the one they have, except most people's first gun is a large automatic pistol that is heavy and hard to drop into your suit pocket on the way to the Walmart and not look like your storming Normandy. I recommend any J-Frame hammerless revolver or small capacity
automatic. Size and weight almost is a bigger factor than caliber and stopping power.

It takes a minimum of 15 days to get the gun and you will need info off the gun for permit application (Item 4 above).

Note: If you wish to add a gun down the road. It costs 10.00 to add one to your permit, and 50.00 to qualify (Item 7 above). Your CCW allows a maximum of 3 firearms at one time.
Under no circumstances, Should you progress to CCW permit without having at least 1 firearm in your possession.

C) You are going to need to know your driving record, complete with infraction citation numbers, for the last 5 years for the application. Unless you having a meticulous driving record, or a great memory, I'd advise getting one from the DMV. NO AAA does not provide these. Your insurance company can fax you one for free if you call them as well.
COST: $5.00 (Cash, Credit, or Check)
TIME: However long it takes to get through the line at DMV.

D) Download Application from:
http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...es/ccw_app.pdf
Fill out the application and call 755-3829 and make an appointment to get fingerprinted and turn in the application. Make the appointment for a date before you take your psych evaluation test (See item E below). The reason for this is simple. If you are told to "Buzz off" at this stage, it would be nice not to waste money taking the psych test.

E) Call 408-356-9696 and make appt for Psych evaluation test. Be sure to set the appointment for AFTER the fingerprint and application turn in (Item 4 above) that way if your declined outta th box, you haven't wasted a bunch of time and money.

F) Call 831Shooter at 831-402-4323 and make an appointment for Gun Qualification. This appointment should also be made for after the application
Turn in (Item 4 above) for the same reasons. You can call others for qualification on the gun if you wish, I just used this guy so I happen to have his number handy.

G) Assuming all appoints now have been made. You will now be waiting for the first item to come up. This really needs to be the CCW Application turn In and Fingerprinting. You will also be interviewed by a member of the Sheriffs Department at this time. Make a good impression, he is the guy who gets to determine if you'll be getting a CCW permit or not.
Cost: $133.00 (Check or Credit)
Time: 2 hours
1414 Natividad road (Left of jail)
Salinas, CA
Ph: Varies (Get from sheriff at CCW application interview)

H) We will, for simplicity in writing, assume the psych eval appointment is next. It is not important if it is before, or after the firearms training (Item 7 above) so this item (Item H) and (Item I) can come in whichever order is easier with regards to the scheduling of appointments.
Now, the Psych Eval. This is far and away the biggest pain in the ass you will have to endur. You will need to go to Los Gatos as that is the closest location, sit in an uncomfortable chair, during a work day, and do 5 tests. 3 are between 400 and 500 questions each. 1 test is timed and takes 12 minutes. 1 test is a verbal Interview by the Psychologist. It costs 150.00 CASH. No checks, no credit cards, no ATMs, no change provided. 150.00 in greenback dollars. You can't study for the test as it is a psych test.
Cost: 150.00 (Cash only)
Time: 6 hours
15251 National Ave
Los Gatos, CA
Ph: 408-356-9696

I) Firearms Training. As with all the other items on the "To-Do" list, this will require a reservation. It is done on a Saturday and/or Sunday and will absolutely take all day. You will need to bring the gun(s) you intend to qualify on as well as a box of bullets for each. Also, have whatever you intend to conceal the gun in as well. This can be a gun bag, holster, special Firearms designed clothing, or whatever. You will also need to be able to transport the weapon in something that can be locked so be ready for that, if, as I did, you have thrown away the lockable gun box that your pistol came in.
Cost: 175.00 (cash or check)
Time: 12 hours
455 Reservation Rd
Marina, CA
Ph: 831-402-4323

J) At some point you will be contacted by the Sheriff who interviewed you during the CCW permit application and Fingerprinting (Item 4 above). He will want to come by and see the house and will be interviewing your neighbors, so be ready for problems if your neighbors think your a lunatic. This costs nothing and takes very little time. You need not have your guns available for examination or anything. Though, it may not be a bad idea to have them sequred in gunsafe/box/drawer anyway.
Cost: 0.00 (Nothing)
Time: 1 hour

K) Lastly, assuming everything went okay, you will, at some point, receive a call indicating youve either been approved or declined a permit. If declined, well...welcome to California, you can apply again next year and go through all this again. I believe you will not need to requalify however. So there is some savings.
If you are approved you will need to go down to the Monterey County Sheriffs Department where you turned in the application, and pick up permit.
Cost: 80.00 (Check/ATM)
Time: 1 hour
1414 Natividad road (Left of jail)
Salinas, CA
Ph: Varies (Get from sheriff at CCW application interview)

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

OK, I got this off of the http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/21330-getting-concealed-carry-permit-monterey-county.html website, it was updated less than a year ago so it should still be good info.
Thanks, Viking. Good info. I had planned on going to calguns and other sites like it when I'm actually in San Diego.

As of now, I really doubt I have enough time here to get the permit. About two months left here, then to Texas for a little while, then to San Diego.

I appreciate the help, though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #56

OK, here's the deal here in Santa Clara County CA. The Sheriff, Laurie Smith, is a politician through and through. Her LE experience is minimal at best. It is rumored she got the job of Sheriff by doing sexual favors for the previous Sheriff, Chuck Gillingham as she had served as Under Sheriff under Gillingham for all 8 years that he was Sheriff and did little to earn that title. There was some controversy when she was appointed Under Sheriff due tot he fact that she was outranked and outqualified by several other potential candidates and as I understand it there was some rank issues too (meaning that her rank at the time did not qualify for direct promotion to Under Sheriff, but Gillingham changed the rules to allow for it to happen). For the record, I am reiterating the rumors I have heard and read over the years, I am not stating this as fact.

Santa Clara County currently has an unwritten policy of no issue for "regular citizens". There is no written policy available that I am aware of (and nothing is available on the website). This having been said, if you are politically connected and have enough money you can get one here. Four years ago when I was working on a campaign to unseat Smith I was told by several people in the know (including both challengers, Martin Monica and Richard Calderon) that Smith's "price" was $20,000 paid to her favorite charity, which at the time was her re-election campaign. I am not sure if this is true or not. I was also told that the $20K did not ensure you a permit. It could still be denied.

All of this having been said, the Sheriff's Deputies frequently overlook the "rules" and will not notice if you have a weapon if you know what I mean.

Smith is currently being challenged by one of her own, Captain Kevin Jensen, in the 2014 election. He has a good chance as he is endorsed by tow of the critical unions.

Quote:
Two public safety unions oppose Santa Clara County sheriff's run for re-election

By Tracy Seipel

tseipel@mercurynews.com
Posted: 07/16/2013 06:01:11 AM PDT | Updated: about a month ago

Citing a leadership void, plummeting morale, and inadequate staffing and resources, two key Santa Clara County public safety unions signaled their unhappiness with four-term incumbent Sheriff Laurie Smith and on Monday endorsed one of her captains in the 2014 sheriff's race.

Presidents of the county Deputy Sheriffs' Association and the county Correctional Peace Officers' Association announced at a late morning news conference their groups' support of Sheriff's Capt. Kevin Jensen, a 28-year department veteran.

Of the DSA's 412 members, 235 voted for Jensen, and 12 voted for Smith, said DSA president Dennis Moser. At the CPOA, Smith's name was not even on the ballot because the union's board already had given its sole endorsement to Jensen, said president Lance Scimeca. Of the CPOA's 640 members who staff the county jails, 111 voted for Jensen, Scimeca said.

"We are here for the citizens of Santa Clara County and the members of our organizations -- the two unions are standing in solidarity,'' said Moser, who noted that it's been years since the DSA endorsed anyone other than the incumbent.

Reached by phone Monday afternoon, Smith, 62, said that she cares "very much for the deputies' welfare, but no small group of special interests hires or fires the sheriff. I'm directly accountable to the people of Santa Clara County.''

Jensen, 49, was not at the event, but said later by phone that he was honored to receive the support of both groups.

"Change can be a good thing,'' said Jensen. "I've got a lot of love for the department and the community and I'm optimistic about what lies ahead.''

While the election isn't until June 2014, both candidates have campaign committees and union leaders say they're trying to get the word out to the public about their preference.

"We want a leader,'' said sheriff's Deputy Devin Tallerico. "What we have is management.''

Moser said the unions are concerned about Smith's "lack of vision'' and the department's low morale that he blames on the "inability of people to speak up without fear of retaliation.''

Whenever union leaders have met with Smith to discuss their concerns, they found themselves "stymied" and maintain that the department is "stagnating'' because only her allies are promoted to top jobs, he said.

Smith countered that she promotes "the best people'' and does not hesitate to discipline people for gross misconduct.

At the jails, Scimeca said, the staffing levels have yet to be addressed properly, especially after the state in 2011 rolled out a realignment plan that allows an influx of nonviolent offenders to serve their time in local jails instead of the state penitentiary system.

Both union leaders say they are budgeted for more positions but have not seen Smith address the issue in a timely fashion.

Moser said that San Jose police officers, many of whom have fled the city's force over their frustration with the city's pension reform efforts, aren't being hired by the county.

Smith insisted that "we hire San Jose cops,'' and that "there are multiple academies going,'' but pointed out hiring takes time because of testing and background checks.

Scimeca also said Smith promised that when the sheriff's office took over the jails in 2010, its correctional officers would be eligible to become correctional deputies, but for many, that has not happened. "She said it would be an easy transition,'' Scimeca said.

Smith countered that those who wanted to make the shift were allowed to do so until the process was closed "so we could focus on hiring new people.''

Moser also said the sheriff's office is no longer a member of important joint task forces, including the local joint anti-terrorism task force. "Crime doesn't stop at the borders'' between the cities in the county, Moser said.

In addition to patrolling the unincorporated areas of the county, the sheriff's office also contracts its services with three cities in the county that don't have their own police agencies.

Smith said that budget cuts forced the department to eliminate its membership in some task forces, "but that's the first time I've heard of their complaint.''

Quote:

Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #57

Oh, I forgot to post the map of CA-

ca_ccw_map-big.jpg  

Quote:

Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #58
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 9211

If I am awake and dressed, I am carrying, with only the few No carry zones that are listed in the laws here in NY as the exceptions to the rule. On other people's property, I ask before coming over. They say no, I don't go, and I offer to host them instead. When I am home, my EDC is always within reach, if not on me.

As far as where I go, If the area is so much of a sh!t hole that I know for a fact that unarmed travel could be fatal I tend to stay the eff out of that area unless travel there is unavoidable. I did not make it to the age I am by being stupid and not listening to my instincts. You never know when the SWHTF, so a wise man is always ready for it if it does.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #59

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
After talking to someone in a gun store for a while, I wanted to find out what the forum members would do in the same situation. I thought I was in the majority, but now I fear I may be wrong.

This guy I was talking to was an "occasional carrier," sometimes he was armed, sometimes he was not. When I asked him how he decided when to arm himself, he said, "When I need to." I inquired how he knew when he might need his gun or how he determined when he was safe without it. He said, "When I hang around my neighborhood or go grocery shopping, I don't need my gun, but if I have to go into a "bad" neighborhood, I take my weapon." I found out he owned rentals in economically-impoverished areas and would arm himself to do repairs, collect rents or the like. So I asked if he avoided those areas all the time if he was unarmed and he replied, "I won't go certain places without my gun, but when I'm armed, I go wherever I F'ing want! They gotta toe the line or *BLAM* - I'll drill 'em in the @ss!"

So my question is: Do you arm yourself no matter where you travel? Or do you believe you have omniscience like this guy and only arm up in "bad" areas? Do you avoid areas if you are unarmed, or travel with impunity when armed? Which is the best way?
Same gun, same holster, every day. Excluding places that gun possession/carry is illegal. Personally, I think this guy should take up "fortune teller" obviously he has the ability to predict the future! NOT! Grocery stores, churches or your own Home, nuts that seek to harm the innocent have no boundaries! In fact one could argue that the "real nut" will prey on the less obvious, Via the Colorado Movie Theater rampage!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #60

Well, child's daycare is in a Federal building, and a firearm in my car would catch me a felony. I work in a private office building on a floor leased by GSA, and with a no go sign posted, so im pretty limited to weekends and evenings.