Does CCW carry change your choice of movement? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

View Poll Results: When deciding where I can travel and whether I should wear my firearm, I believe:
I don't arm myself when I go out. It's for home defense only. 0 0%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I avoid areas that I perceive to be dangerous. 1 2.17%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 2 4.35%
I always wear my weapon. I avoid areas I perceive to be dangerous. 35 76.09%
I always wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 8 17.39%
I always wear my weapon. I'm hoping to be in a gunfight wherever I go. 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I got up this morning, spent all morning on a tractor never leaving the 50 acres we live on and my NAA .32 rode in my pocket in it's Superfly holster. I tend to carry everywhere I can. But look to stay away from situations where I might have to show someone how it works.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
I got up this morning, spent all morning on a tractor never leaving the 50 acres we live on and my NAA .32 rode in my pocket in it's Superfly holster. I tend to carry everywhere I can. But look to stay away from situations where I might have to show someone how it works.
Quote:
I've drawn and fired my handgun twice, in what I felt was self defense. The first instance definitely was, and the second...is debatable...

The first time was taking out the trash. Couple years ago. Raccoon acting rabid came out of a culvert, charging and hissing. Great shot, right in the head, moving target, about five yards, at twilight. One handed grip with my other hand holding the garbage bag.

Second time was a couple days ago when I shot a spider from my front porch.
These are good points. Who says your attacker is gonna be human? I've lost track of the times I've shot aggressive animals (either towards me, my family or my dogs).

Or animals digging in my trash.

Or snakes. I hate snakes.

I've whittled the feral dogs in my area down to 0. That'll change once everybody gets tired of their Christmas dogs though.

Kinda nullifies the "only carry in bad areas" argument, unless you consider every neighborhood where wild animals and stray dogs roam a "bad area."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-09-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #43

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Why, of course I have the ability to foretell the future. That is why I bought Microsoft stock at 50 cents per share, cleaned up on the last 5 Kentucky Derbies, and bought a ton of .22 LR ammo a year ago. I now live in the lap of total luxury on the French Riviera, wealthy beyond the dreams of most men, surrounded by members of the Swedish Bikini Team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
So that is why you are smiling in your photo.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thank goodness! I thought this was gonna be a thread about bathrooms to dirty to risk dropping your firearm while pinching one off.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #45

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Sound like ankle carry would work for you. Unless you wear shorts to work. ;-) And a pistol that has been extensively torture tested. You might actually need a pistol that was proven to function reliably after being buried in sand, mud and grease. (Of course the "torture tested" brand that jumps to mind is Glock but I wouldn't want to jump this thread into another brand war. )
I was thinking about a shoulder holster with a 5.11 tactical carry shirt, even though I'm not a big fan of the shoulder carry, and just leave it in the truck on those nasty jobs. I'll be in a compromised position anyways lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika

I was thinking about a shoulder holster with a 5.11 tactical carry shirt, even though I'm not a big fan of the shoulder carry, and just leave it in the truck on those nasty jobs. I'll be in a compromised position anyways lol.
Ouch. I hate shoulder holsters. I'd rather a nice galco ankle holster with lambskin lining the inside of it. And I strongly dislike ankle holsters. LOL With a nice holster the ankle is the lesser of the two evils for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #47

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Ouch. I hate shoulder holsters. I'd rather a nice galco ankle holster with lambskin lining the inside of it. And I strongly dislike ankle holsters. LOL With a nice holster the ankle is the lesser of the two evils for me.
I don't know maybe it's because I'm fairly new to handguns, but even the compacts feel tiny and uncomfortable in my hand so I'll be carrying a full size. I don't think ankle carrying a full size would be nice... Plus my feet get into some crazy tight spots.... I've had to be pulled putting before lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika

I don't know maybe it's because I'm fairly new to handguns, but even the compacts feel tiny and uncomfortable in my hand so I'll be carrying a full size. I don't think ankle carrying a full size would be nice... Plus my feet get into some crazy tight spots.... I've had to be pulled putting before lol.
Ah. Then i'd have to agree, full sized on an ankle holster would be worse than a shoulder holster.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #49
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
I'm not a Glock fanboy, but I have to agree that if you want a pistol that you can abuse on a daily basis, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than Glock. Glock can be run dry, which means anything your crawling in shouldn't affect it's usability.

For a bit more concealability, you should possibly look at single stack .45 like Springfield XD series. This will be easier to conceal inside the waistband (IWB) and less likely to "print" because of the narrow profile.

The #1 item that will determine how secretive you are about your carry will not be your gun though. The #1 item that determines how well hidden you are is your carry rig (belt/holster). Sears belt and nylon holster is a disaster going somewhere to happen. The money saved will never be worth the embarrassment and loss of your CCW when the gun falls out and goes skittering across the floor. If you get a reinforced pistol belt and a Kydex holster or leather holster that is fitted to your gun, it will be the best ~$200 you ever spent. The gun will sit tight and right exactly where you want it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #50
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Thank goodness! I thought this was gonna be a thread about bathrooms to dirty to risk dropping your firearm while pinching one off.
That was funny, Gello!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)