Does CCW carry change your choice of movement? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

View Poll Results: When deciding where I can travel and whether I should wear my firearm, I believe:
I don't arm myself when I go out. It's for home defense only. 0 0%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I avoid areas that I perceive to be dangerous. 1 2.13%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 2 4.26%
I always wear my weapon. I avoid areas I perceive to be dangerous. 36 76.60%
I always wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 8 17.02%
I always wear my weapon. I'm hoping to be in a gunfight wherever I go. 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6786 Times on 3607 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You're right, of course. I just tend to be a very cynical person. I think part of my response was brought on by the quoted comment attributed to the landlord.

Out of 50,000 members only 18 have taken the poll so far.
I don't like polls so I almost never give poll type answers. Polls are ways to validate a preconceived idea or belief by wedging the poll taker's opinion and desired outcome into reality in a one size fits all opinion.

When I do answer a poll I always lie
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I don't like polls so I almost never give poll type answers. Polls are ways to validate a preconceived idea or belief by wedging the poll taker's opinion and desired outcome into reality in a one size fits all opinion.
I usually don't vote in obviously biased polls, but in this case I think the author did a pretty decent job of covering all the bases.

Quote:
When I do answer a poll I always lie
Thanks for cluing us in on what your opinion is worth. Personally, if I felt that way I probably would have kept it to myself.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
After talking to someone in a gun store for a while, I wanted to find out what the forum members would do in the same situation. I thought I was in the majority, but now I fear I may be wrong.

This guy I was talking to was an "occasional carrier," sometimes he was armed, sometimes he was not. When I asked him how he decided when to arm himself, he said, "When I need to." I inquired how he knew when he might need his gun or how he determined when he was safe without it. He said, "When I hang around my neighborhood or go grocery shopping, I don't need my gun, but if I have to go into a "bad" neighborhood, I take my weapon." I found out he owned rentals in economically-impoverished areas and would arm himself to do repairs, collect rents or the like. So I asked if he avoided those areas all the time if he was unarmed and he replied, "I won't go certain places without my gun, but when I'm armed, I go wherever I F'ing want! They gotta toe the line or *BLAM* - I'll drill 'em in the @ss!"

So my question is: Do you arm yourself no matter where you travel? Or do you believe you have omniscience like this guy and only arm up in "bad" areas? Do you avoid areas if you are unarmed, or travel with impunity when armed? Which is the best way?
I always have a gun. Always. If its not in my pocket its next to me in the jeep. And there's always a shotgun and a bandolier full of shells in the trunk, even in my POV. I once walked out of Wendy's after a date and had 7.62 rounds skimming around my head and all the guns were in the house because I had cleaned them that day. Got caught with my pants down once, NEVER again.

As far as bad areas; If you're an "occasional" carrier and you "wouldn't go there without a gun," you probably shouldn't be going there to begin with. Exceptions would be work, visiting family etc. Chances are the BG is going to be better armed and have help.

The salesman is a dipstick if he thinks carrying a gun lets him go wherever he wants with impunity. He's also a dipstick if he thinks nothing will ever happen in his home/neighborhood. He's totally clueless IMO.

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-09-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Just became aware of this thread. I do have some input but it will have to wait for later. I have a very full day today and will not be able to get to it until tonight.

JW357, what county are you in again? I am in Santa Clara County, which is among the worst and most restrictive in the state with Sheriff Laurie Smith. I have been literally working for years to try and get her unseated. I'll chime in later with details.

Also, you might want to go to Calguns.org and ask around there. They are not as helpful but sometimes you get lucky.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #35

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't have a ccw or cc permit, but I will be getting them ASAP so I answered with what I plan to do.

Always have my weapon on me, unless I can't carry, at which point it will be left in my car. At home I'll wear it unless I'm not comfy for some reason, but it will be close at hand.

The only thing I'm not sure about is carrying at work, since I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. It requires being in sand, grease, tight spaces, sometimes being upside down, bending over, etc.... I want to but I'm worried about something happening.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika
I don't have a ccw or cc permit, but I will be getting them ASAP so I answered with what I plan to do.

Always have my weapon on me, unless I can't carry, at which point it will be left in my car. At home I'll wear it unless I'm not comfy for some reason, but it will be close at hand.

The only thing I'm not sure about is carrying at work, since I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. It requires being in sand, grease, tight spaces, sometimes being upside down, bending over, etc.... I want to but I'm worried about something happening.
Sound like ankle carry would work for you. Unless you wear shorts to work. ;-) And a pistol that has been extensively torture tested. You might actually need a pistol that was proven to function reliably after being buried in sand, mud and grease. (Of course the "torture tested" brand that jumps to mind is Glock but I wouldn't want to jump this thread into another brand war. )
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #37

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've drawn and fired my handgun twice, in what I felt was self defense. The first instance definitely was, and the second...is debatable...

The first time was taking out the trash. Couple years ago. Raccoon acting rabid came out of a culvert, charging and hissing. Great shot, right in the head, moving target, about five yards, at twilight. One handed grip with my other hand holding the garbage bag.

Second time was a couple days ago when I shot a spider from my front porch.

My point is, with my particular lifestyle, I'm just as likely to need my gun AT HOME, than anywhere else.

There were three instances I felt I would've been justified in shooting a person. Two of those times I was unarmed because I'd been at school, so I defended myself hand to hand. The third time, I jammed a lit cigarette in a carjacker's eye while my gun was right next to me (the smoke was already in my hand though).

I don't frequent bad neighborhoods, moot variable for me.

Not allowed to carry a gun at work either, but I'm always armed.
..OK..I gotta ask. What was this spider doing?!?!?!?!?! THat had to be one bad assed spider!!

Around here I almost always have a pistol on me. I have made a trip to the Dollar store for milk without it and was OK with it but that was more a I'm in a hurry and I had just got dressed after a shower and just didn't pick it up.

I try to make it a point to not be in places where I think bad things can happen just by my being there (bad neighborhoods). I used to go out to peoples houses and/or businesses to do computer work and that took me over a few county area. I always had a pistol on me then. I was asked more than once why I would have a pistol on me while doing computer work. Bending around under desks or reaching overhead to do things sometimes would expose my little secret. I'd just reply "can't be too careful" or the more entertaining "you have no idea just how bad some of the new computer viruses where!!!"

Now days I don't travel much but I feel pretty "nekkit" if I don't at least have a little pocket gun on me. But I try to stay out of bad places as best I can.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
JW357, what county are you in again? I am in Santa Clara County, which is among the worst and most restrictive in the state with Sheriff Laurie Smith. I have been literally working for years to try and get her unseated. I'll chime in later with details.

Also, you might want to go to Calguns.org and ask around there. They are not as helpful but sometimes you get lucky.
Monterey county. Here's the link to what my sheriff has to say on the matter:

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/sheriff/ccw-information.htm

Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is just my personal take on things. Im not advocating anything, nor am I asserting that any other particular way is wrong.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

I do not recognize the legitimacy of free fire zones, restrictions on carrying in public places, or any other infringements on my rights by government (how i personally define government is a subject unto itself). Ill close with another quote; Henry David Thoreau "good men ought not obey laws too well"

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #40

Liked 3619 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

When legal, I always cc.

That being said, I live in PA very near to Delaware & Maryland. I have cc permits for PA & DE, I cannot get one for Maryland, and it is serious crap to get caught in MD. So, if I am going to spend any appreciable time in MD for the day (4-5 days a month I do), I do not carry.