Does CCW carry change your choice of movement? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

View Poll Results: When deciding where I can travel and whether I should wear my firearm, I believe:
I don't arm myself when I go out. It's for home defense only. 0 0%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I avoid areas that I perceive to be dangerous. 1 2.17%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 2 4.35%
I always wear my weapon. I avoid areas I perceive to be dangerous. 35 76.09%
I always wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 8 17.39%
I always wear my weapon. I'm hoping to be in a gunfight wherever I go. 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
JW, I feel for you. When I lived there, I carried without a permit because I truly believed I'd rather be alive and cited than dead. I did, however, have an attorney on speed dial that I had consulted and he said he'd be able to defend me for illegal carry. Not everyone is comfortable with that and everyone has to decide on their own how to handle unjust laws. Sometimes the penalties are too steep for you and your family. Be sure to write/call/email your legislators and let them know how you feel and how you'll vote.
Yeah, I've written my legislators a few times, but honestly I've given up hope in this damn state. I've only been here a year and a half, but it feels like an eternity.

I've basically decided when I do end up going for my permit, if I get denied, I'm going to court. It takes going to court to try to get things changed, so that's what I'll do. I'll sue the state if I have to, for denying me my Constitutional right to bear a firearm. I'll get the NRA on my side and I'll bring it to those knuckleheads in D.C. if I have to.

In my opinion, that's the only real way to get anything changed here. The state is so far gone, its actually embarrassing.

The attorney thing is an interesting idea. The problem is, I don't think I'd win the case if I haven't even applied for a permit. I can hear the prosecutor now: "Why were you carrying a firearm illegally without applying for a carry permit?" Any attorney will promise you the moon if it means you're now his client.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1450 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 630

JW, an attorney that you are retaining is paid to tell you the truth and can lose his BAR card for not doing so. Just make sure to let him know your a vindictive SOB when lied to.

Also, I have friends who have obtained their CCW in California because they are close to counties where the Sheriff is a 2A supporter. Do some research on Cali gun forums and find out which counties are issuing. You may need to "live" at a friends house in that county for purposes of your permit, but once you have it, it's good anywhere in the state. It may also be possible to consult an attorney to help you obtain one. An initial one hour consult usually only costs $100-250 and you can get a LOT of questions answered in that time. I once got 22 questions posed and answered in an hour - even the attorney was amazed! :O

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
JW, an attorney that you are retaining is paid to tell you the truth and can lose his BAR card for not doing so. Just make sure to let him know your a vindictive SOB when lied to.

Also, I have friends who have obtained their CCW in California because they are close to counties where the Sheriff is a 2A supporter. Do some research on Cali gun forums and find out which counties are issuing. You may need to "live" at a friends house in that county for purposes of your permit, but once you have it, it's good anywhere in the state. It may also be possible to consult an attorney to help you obtain one. An initial one hour consult usually only costs $100-250 and you can get a LOT of questions answered in that time. I once got 22 questions posed and answered in an hour - even the attorney was amazed! :O
Good advice, thank you.

I am currently living in a county that is basically "shall issue," but the problem is when I looked into doing it a few months ago, they were booked up with their interviews until December at the earliest. I was supposed to be out of here in October (now that's delayed until late November), will be gone for a few months, then will be down south for a couple years. So I've basically decided I have to wait until I get down there.

The one good thing is when I move down there, I can try to find a house to rent in a county that is as close to "shall issue" as I can get.

The whole thing is just a giant PITA, though. I absolutely hate that the politicians (crooks) here get away with this garbage.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Viking has a good story about this....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Viking has a good story about this....
I'd like to hear it.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #26

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Does it affect where you go? Do you avoid areas you think might get you in hot enough water to draw?
I try to carry whenever I'm awake. There are some places I can't legally carry and I either avoid going there ore try to minimize my time in such defense-free zones.

As far as otherwise affecting where I go, I always try to avoid places I *think* I might actually *need* my gun. I see no reason to court trouble.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #27

Liked 459 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Does it affect where you go? Do you avoid areas you think might get you in hot enough water to draw?
Absolutely avoid areas and situations that might lead to trouble. I've seen first hand the results of firefights and I'm too old to have any preconceived notions about being some kind of a bad assed gunslinger. If I have to pull, I will, but I hope that day never comes.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If I'm outside the house I usually have a weapon on my person. There is an exception. If I am going someplace that forbids carry by statute I will not have a weapon on my person, but I will have one easily available. If a place is so dangerous that I wouldn't go there unarmed, I'm not going there at all.

As far as the OP's run in with the slumlord, I can understand him wanting a way to defend himself when he is in his "workplace" but I do have to question his career choice.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1450 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Doc, so many cities have suffered economic downturns that many people that used to own a few rentals in "older neighborhoods" have been turned into slumlords without even realizing it. To be fair to this guy, I don't think he was buying delapidated buildings and taking advantage of the socio-economically disenfranchised. His attitude had just declined with his real estate market.

This poll seems to go against all of the people that say we carry "looking" for a problem to cause. Is no one here looking for a fight? We have 50,000+ members and no malcontents!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Doc, so many cities have suffered economic downturns that many people that used to own a few rentals in "older neighborhoods" have been turned into slumlords without even realizing it. To be fair to this guy, I don't think he was buying delapidated buildings and taking advantage of the socio-economically disenfranchised. His attitude had just declined with his real estate market.

This poll seems to go against all of the people that say we carry "looking" for a problem to cause. Is no one here looking for a fight? We have 50,000+ members and no malcontents!
You're right, of course. I just tend to be a very cynical person. I think part of my response was brought on by the quoted comment attributed to the landlord.

Quote:
"I won't go certain places without my gun, but when I'm armed, I go wherever I F'ing want! They gotta toe the line or *BLAM* - I'll drill 'em in the @ss!"
Out of 50,000 members only 18 have taken the poll so far.