Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

View Poll Results: When deciding where I can travel and whether I should wear my firearm, I believe:
I don't arm myself when I go out. It's for home defense only. 0 0%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I avoid areas that I perceive to be dangerous. 1 2.17%
I occasionally wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 2 4.35%
I always wear my weapon. I avoid areas I perceive to be dangerous. 35 76.09%
I always wear my weapon. I go wherever I want regardless of perceived danger. 8 17.39%
I always wear my weapon. I'm hoping to be in a gunfight wherever I go. 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Default Does CCW carry change your choice of movement?

After talking to someone in a gun store for a while, I wanted to find out what the forum members would do in the same situation. I thought I was in the majority, but now I fear I may be wrong.

This guy I was talking to was an "occasional carrier," sometimes he was armed, sometimes he was not. When I asked him how he decided when to arm himself, he said, "When I need to." I inquired how he knew when he might need his gun or how he determined when he was safe without it. He said, "When I hang around my neighborhood or go grocery shopping, I don't need my gun, but if I have to go into a "bad" neighborhood, I take my weapon." I found out he owned rentals in economically-impoverished areas and would arm himself to do repairs, collect rents or the like. So I asked if he avoided those areas all the time if he was unarmed and he replied, "I won't go certain places without my gun, but when I'm armed, I go wherever I F'ing want! They gotta toe the line or *BLAM* - I'll drill 'em in the @ss!"

So my question is: Do you arm yourself no matter where you travel? Or do you believe you have omniscience like this guy and only arm up in "bad" areas? Do you avoid areas if you are unarmed, or travel with impunity when armed? Which is the best way?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 406 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A cowboy. You'll be reading about this guy somewhere down the road.. To your question. If I'm dressed, I'm carrying.
People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
A cowboy. You'll be reading about this guy somewhere down the road.. To your question. If I'm dressed, I'm carrying.
Does it affect where you go? Do you avoid areas you think might get you in hot enough water to draw?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #4

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

I won't go anywhere armed that I wouldn't unarmed. With that being said, unless I'm at work I'm armed and even there I carry a knife.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 09-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Mick3411 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Company policy states I cannot carry while I'm at work. I work as a cable and network technician. I drive a company vehicle in every type of neighborhood all day everyday.
When I'm outside of work, I carry everywhere I go that is not a gun free zone by law (park, government building) or has the sticker in the window (there is only one place I have seen the sticker, at the food court entrance at the mall- my wife and daughter like the mall...) other than that I carry all the time. I go to my parents house to visit, I carry. I go to the gas station, I carry. I go to the grocery store, I carry. I go to a birthday party, I carry. That being said I live on the Iowa-Illinois border so I have to stow my firearm if I cross the state line (bridge).
Now there are a group of people that know I carry while not at work, some of them coworkers some family and friends. If I'm even in a situation at work where having my firearm would/could have prevented MY injury or death I want my family to sue the pants off the company I work for. I feel with their no weapon policy bars me from my right to protect myself should the need arise. I feel that carrying all the time establishes a baseline of personal responsibility I take for my safety that would be needed for this type of argument.
Also I think just carrying when in a "bad" part of town insinuates you are prejudging situations. I can just imagine a prosecutor asking you questions about how you decide when to carry and when you are safe.
Bottom line I carry everywhere I legally can, criminals don't necessarily strike where you expect them.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Why, of course I have the ability to foretell the future. That is why I bought Microsoft stock at 50 cents per share, cleaned up on the last 5 Kentucky Derbies, and bought a ton of .22 LR ammo a year ago. I now live in the lap of total luxury on the French Riviera, wealthy beyond the dreams of most men, surrounded by members of the Swedish Bikini Team.

As far as the guy you were talking to, why, yes, he IS an idiot. If he can foretell the future with total certainty, as can I- why is he not living next door to me, borrowing my Grey Poupon? Instead of schlepping around as a landlord in bad neighborhoods.

Stay far away from him. You would be astounded how far body fluids can splash when one has a misadventure of epic proportions.

I work in some places you cannot carry. Then, I don't. Elsewhere, I do. Last July, youngest daughter married. When I walked her down the aisle, she knew I was carrying. Did I expect to need it between the foot of the aisle and the altar? (Not unless the groom made a break for freedom- then I might have to wing him)

I also seriously doubt that the folks at the theatre in Aurora CO, the shopping malls in Klackamas or Utah, or attending services in the church in Colorado Springs thought they were going to need a gun.

Why not ask him who will win the Superbowl?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch22000 View Post

[snip]

I feel that carrying all the time establishes a baseline of personal responsibility I take for my safety that would be needed for this type of argument.
Also I think just carrying when in a "bad" part of town insinuates you are prejudging situations. I can just imagine a prosecutor asking you questions about how you decide when to carry and when you are safe.
Bottom line I carry everywhere I legally can, criminals don't necessarily strike where you expect them.
Two great points! Baseline of personal responsibility is a great idea. That a prosecutor could use that line of thinking against you is insightful.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

As far as "traveling with impunity when armed"- HAH! I have been shot at while riding on an armored personnel carrier armed with a .50 cal machinegun and 2 M60s! You don't get much better armed than that!!!

People that think they are bullet proof because they are armed are amazing. See if you can get them to mention you in their wills.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've drawn and fired my handgun twice, in what I felt was self defense. The first instance definitely was, and the second...is debatable...

The first time was taking out the trash. Couple years ago. Raccoon acting rabid came out of a culvert, charging and hissing. Great shot, right in the head, moving target, about five yards, at twilight. One handed grip with my other hand holding the garbage bag.

Second time was a couple days ago when I shot a spider from my front porch.

My point is, with my particular lifestyle, I'm just as likely to need my gun AT HOME, than anywhere else.

There were three instances I felt I would've been justified in shooting a person. Two of those times I was unarmed because I'd been at school, so I defended myself hand to hand. The third time, I jammed a lit cigarette in a carjacker's eye while my gun was right next to me (the smoke was already in my hand though).

I don't frequent bad neighborhoods, moot variable for me.

Not allowed to carry a gun at work either, but I'm always armed.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

C3, you obviously see my point. I wanted to go into it with him and explain that you never know when the feces is going to hit the reciprocating device, but I felt my efforts would have been in vain. He had the world by the tail and there was no changing his mind.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to query him regarding the Super Bowl! It was a chance encounter and I will (fortunately) never see him again. Besides, the real way to make money off of the knowledge of the truly omniscient is Super Lotto numbers!

Axxe55 Likes This