Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > does anyone have a walther pps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default does anyone have a walther pps

comments criticisms
i love the p22 with is same size

Attitude is Everything

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Walther PP

I've owned several over the years in both .380 and .32. I currently have a mid-50s era 7.65 or .32. What is your question? They are a classic guns that shoot well and for the era they were produced in had a lot of features found on current production guns. I do prefer the European/Interarms models over the new current production. Finish seems better on the older pieces. S&W extended the beavertail which is supposed to take care of the Walther bite if you have large hands, but to me it took away from the design. Be careful on buying grips, they won't interchange between the S&W and European/Interarms models. Below are some web sites that have additional info

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPK

http://www.carlwalther.com

www.waltheramerica.com

Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
I've owned several over the years in both .380 and .32. I currently have a mid-50s era 7.65 or .32.
I believe he's referring to the recent polymer line in Walther....Excellent articles in the leading gun magazines on the PPS. Gun reviews are good like always....

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #4

My father in law just got one, and its a great gun. The few things i didn't like were the shells eject almost vertical, and it can only hold up to 8 rounds. Otherwise it shoots clean, points great, and is super slim. Great gun once you get used to the mag eject.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #5

thet are like a very tight fitted 1911,the have a break in period,trigger,action and reliability get better with use at least 100 rnds,and a few mags of sd rounds and its ready to go,i love mine

sp101,glock27,m&p9,walther pps

Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmatrixxx View Post
thet are like a very tight fitted 1911,the have a break in period,trigger,action and reliability get better with use at least 100 rnds,and a few mags of sd rounds and its ready to go,i love mine
Nothing sitting on a plastic frame can be built to the same tolerances as a tuned 1911. It's physically impossible to duplicate the tolerance with injection molding that can be done with CNC machining and hand fitting.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My friends father-in-law brought one to the range during a recent shooting session. My friend and I were both very, very impressed.

For being so slim it is very comfortable in the hand, and is a super-easy shooter. Like Seymour said, it doesn't have alot of angle on the eject but it does kick them out pretty high. Casings were going high over my right shoulder, landing behind me. The eject didn't bother me, its just different.

With the quality of my old PPK, and my time shooting this gun I am going to give it a very good recommendation.

Walther PPS in the foreground, with PPK for size comparison.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 01-07-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good german craftsmanship (Deutsche Handwerkskunst)

The Walter P99 was meant to be used for the german police to take over instead of the Sig Sauer P220 (I think on dutry it is called P5 or P6).
It is supposed to be a very nice pistol.

All pistols made by Walther that have the name PP are originally made for the police.
PP stand for Polizei Pistole
PPK stands for Polizei Pistole kurz (police pistol short)
PPS stands for Polizei Pistole Schmal (police pistol slim)
This is, because the PPS is not as wide, as the P99, what makes it interesting for concealed carry.

Unfortunately the german government didn`t go for the Walther this time and decided to take the HK P30 in 9mm as the new duty pistol.
The government orderd 40000 HP P30`s.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
dct

I own a pair of PPS's in 9mm (1 is mine and 1 for my wife).

Very convenient for CCW due to the small size (all around) and light weight. Initially they were a bit tricky to find good CCW holsters for, but now they've become much more plentiful. I like mine well enough, but admit I have a tougher time shooting it with the same degree of accuracy as my other pistols (Sig / Glock) for some reason. It's not the pistol - it's the shooter! My wife loves hers and has no issues .. she can out shoot me with the PPS typically. :-(

You might want to look into the larger 8 round mag (talking 9mm) versus the 6 & 7 they come with. I've read that the 7 round mag can be modified to hold 8 rounds with a kit from Walther .. I bought the 8 round mag's instead. The larger mags help to give you a larger and more comfortable grip as otherwise your little finger has to wrap around underneath the mag .. I think this is part of my problem that I need to work through. Again, not the gun just a shooter that needs more practice time with the gun.

Despite my own shortcomings ... I think it will be my preferred CCW once I get my act together as being smaller and fairly thin ... I don't have a lot of places to hide a gun and the size makes a difference for me.

Hope this helps ...

D

Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #10

It IS very much like a slim single stack Glock in many ways and that's GOOD! MINE is accurate, carries well and has a great trigger, but I DO wish they had designed the magazine release differently. I find it awkward and would have much preferred the more conventional button type located where the grip and trigger-guard join.

I just bought night-sights from Earl's Repair Shop (a factory authorized Walther representative) and had them installed locally. I have had a KyTac BraveHeart IWB holster on order about three weeks.

Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page