does anyone have the same problem as me? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

does anyone have the same problem as me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think there is a mentality that some people have, and I'd never bring it up to them in that way, but some people feel or believe that simply by carrying a weapon you are inviting trouble, like it is a magnet FOR a home invasion or to be robbed. She is possibly slightly afraid of actually confronting the idea of being mugged, robbed or having the house invaded or the car jacked while in it. There could be a ton of denial there and to come to the realization that the world is a pretty crappy place, nothing at all like the iPad commercials show, that can scare even the most intelligent individuals. Just carry, be responsible and try to get her out to learn to use it. Some people will be put off by stats since most people don't trust the 'other side's' math, but just being a responsible gun owner/concealed carrier might just be what it takes to win her over. And there is also the realization that she may never be completely comfortable with the idea, but don't cave, just be patient and responsible. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Similar discussion going on here...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conversation-coworker-54196/

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDawg48
I think there is a mentality that some people have, and I'd never bring it up to them in that way, but some people feel or believe that simply by carrying a weapon you are inviting trouble, like it is a magnet FOR a home invasion or to be robbed. She is possibly slightly afraid of actually confronting the idea of being mugged, robbed or having the house invaded or the car jacked while in it. There could be a ton of denial there and to come to the realization that the world is a pretty crappy place, nothing at all like the iPad commercials show, that can scare even the most intelligent individuals. Just carry, be responsible and try to get her out to learn to use it. Some people will be put off by stats since most people don't trust the 'other side's' math, but just being a responsible gun owner/concealed carrier might just be what it takes to win her over. And there is also the realization that she may never be completely comfortable with the idea, but don't cave, just be patient and responsible. Good luck!
I am very responsible. We've been out all day and when we get home I put it up and she never knew I had it. She thinks I'm in my teenage mind set. But eventually shell realize I'm not causing any problems. I'm not putting anyone in harms way.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Haha I was just reading this one

Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac163 View Post
Haha I was just reading this one
Yeah, I figured I shouldn't cut and paste my own response to that situation. I had this with a few friends and relatives, and no matter how you try and give them statistics they just don't want to listen.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #16

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I carry a gun for the EXACT same reason a police officer does...because the bad guys have them also.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51
I carry a gun for the EXACT same reason a police officer does...because the bad guys have them also.
Another great point. You can't talk the guys out of a robbery

Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #18

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Does she have any problem with you carrying a pocket knife? You never know when you may need to clean your nails or open a package, yet I never leave the house with dirty nails or a package under my arm.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Does she have any problem with you carrying a pocket knife? You never know when you may need to clean your nails or open a package, yet I never leave the house with dirty nails or a package under my arm.
Well see to her she thinks you never carried a gun before why start now? I told her better to start now the start after I get robbed to shot. She replied "what you think your tuff with that gun don't you?" That makes me feel great knowing she thinks I'm a sissy without it. You just can't win an arguement with girls

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #20

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I've tried all the reasons one can logically think of. Now I ignore her.

Jeff Cooper