Does anyone else over do it like me? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Does anyone else over do it like me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127
lol i doubt the great dane is much of a bodyguard they are very sweet dogs but generally as a breed cowards to the last one
Yeah but sometimes size does matter. A large dog with a deep bark might be just enough to make someone smarten up before its too late.

Real dogs drool!

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #12

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
When I go to bed this is my home defense setup I have. 7 shot .357 mag in homemade holster between mattress and headboard. Use to keep it under pillow but now I like this system better. Much safer and comfortable. Rem 870 under the bed, .45 acp ( whichever one tickles my fancy at the moment) on nightstand, mag light next to that and my good ole Rambo knife between the mattress with just enough of the handle for me to grab easily. I know this is too much and unnecessary but it is what it is. I just hope I didn't make it easier for an intruder to kill me if he makes it to my room, lol. Anybody else over do it?
Without a good dog, or outside motion detectors to give you some advanced warning...I doubt all that stuff will do you much good.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127
lol i doubt the great dane is much of a bodyguard they are very sweet dogs but generally as a breed cowards to the last one
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo

Yeah but sometimes size does matter. A large dog with a deep bark might be just enough to make someone smarten up before its too late.
You're both exactly right. She's a sweet heart and we didn't buy her to be a guard dog. But her bark is extremely intimidating and loud. Her appearance is intimidating too.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
even if the dog or dogs are of smaller breeds and couldn't do much physical damage to an intruder, their barking would be still give you a good alert to danger and probably help wake you from a sound sleep.

i highly recommend dogs if possible to have. with those i have outside and those inside, you could not get within 100 yards of my house, without me knowing it.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Right now I only have a bedside gun safe with two 9mms in it, and a flashlight next to the safe. Four dogs in the house, one of which is a Great Dane inside the bedroom.

However in the future I plan on having a wall safe or two strategically throughout my house, each with a handgun of some sort and extra magazines/speed loaders (haven't decided the exact guns I'll have in there yet). I will also have his and hers shotguns inside the bedroom. 12ga pump for me, and prolly a 20ga pump for her. And of course our carry handguns will be next to the bed. And the dogs are here to stay.
May I suggest, and you may already have thought of this...

If these shotguns will be strictly home defense guns, getting them in the same chambering? Ammo commonality and all... and 20 is plenty effective as a home defense gun.

If they were pulling double duty as hunting arms, I could completely understand different chambering.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

May I suggest, and you may already have thought of this...

If these shotguns will be strictly home defense guns, getting them in the same chambering? Ammo commonality and all... and 20 is plenty effective as a home defense gun.

If they were pulling double duty as hunting arms, I could completely understand different chambering.
Fair point. We're already picking up our 20ga bolt action on Monday, and already have a fair amount of 20ga ammo anyway...

Until just now, I wasn't able to find a 20ga (pump) with an 8 shell capacity. Now I found a Mossberg 500.

http://mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-special-purpose-500-20-gauge-6-and-8-shot/54300

You're right about commonality of ammo. Had thought about it in our carry pistols. Dunno why I didn't here.

(We may turn into hunters someday, but I doubt we'll hunt anything that requires a 12ga - we'll just use a rifle for that. Otherwise, for birds and whatnot our 20ga bolt will work just fine).

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #17

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post
I keep a few weapons spaced out throughout the house in inconspicuous places,, not all a firearms. I try not to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.. what if you are not in bed but rather walked in on intruders? Can't get to the bedroom then. This works for me because my children are older and very gun/safety savvy. YMMV.
I always ccw so not worried about walking in on intruders

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post

Without a good dog, or outside motion detectors to give you some advanced warning...I doubt all that stuff will do you much good.
I am a very light sleeper. Sometimes i wake up several times a night when the house creeps and cracks. A watch dog is in the works tho. Thinking kane corsoe or german shepard. A buddy of mine has a kane corsoe and that dog is an absolute beast (man eater). I told him if his dog every gets free and is about to attack me I would be forced to shoot him. He said he doesn't blame me. I just hope I dont make him more mad and he spits the rounds back at me lol

Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #18
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45
I always ccw so not worried about walking in on intruders

I am a very light sleeper. Sometimes i wake up several times a night when the house creeps and cracks. A watch dog is in the works tho. Thinking kane corsoe or german shepard. A buddy of mine has a kane corsoe and that dog is an absolute beast (man eater). I told him if his dog every gets free and is about to attack me I would be forced to shoot him. He said he doesn't blame me. I just hope I dont make him more mad and he spits the rounds back at me lol
A cane corso is an interesting dog. Very intimidating when their ears are cropped. As with all giant breeds, make sure you have total control with just your voice. I sometimes wrestle my dogs but know I'd be in trouble if a simple "stop" didn't drop them. I actually have a hard time getting them to fool around, they take the whole alpha dog pretty seriously.

Real dogs drool!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #19

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Have a 85lb golden who will alert us if anyone tries to open the fridge.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I hear ya on the golden... More than once I have been up with flashlight and pistol at the ready due to his bark in the middle of the night. We live in the sticks and its usually a coon or deer outside that sets him off. Good piece of mind to have him around though!