Do you think a laser could be a distraction to the shooter?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do you think a laser could be a distraction to the shooter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Do you think a laser could be a distraction to the shooter?

So my wife finally was convinced to move up from a .22. We settled on a S&W Bodygaurd .380. It is a nice sized gun that comes with a built in laser. I got to thinking about the fact that a laser shows every little twitch of the gun.

If she were to ever get in a scary situation where she had to hold someone off at gun point, what are your thoughts on the laser point "shaking" being something that would mess with her mind.

Just dont want her to be in a situation where her guns says "yes i can", and her laser is screaming "no you cant! Just look how scared you are!"

Whacha think???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I bought into the Crimson Trace fad a long time ago.

After about a year of evaluating it's possible pluses, personally, I felt it was a distraction to my shooting. I felt it was a liability in the sense that all lasers point in two directions and if you have high water vapor ( mist, morning fog ) you will get a splash condition that gets a bit of a red mist outside the beam.

I don't personally think the laser attached to a pistol is a plus, in any situation. I think you have a worry about the battery, turning on the switch on the bottom of the grip to power the laser, or you have such a death grip on the pistol that you are strangling it in an attempt to make sure that pressure plate is in the ON position.

Your mileage may vary and I imagine this thread will get a ton of responses.

If you can afford it, I encourage you to try it and make your own opinion, but I would SERIOUSLY caution against putting it on a carry piece right out of the box and relying it.

JD

Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the other side of that is... What is it doing to the perp's state of mind?... There are many reports on record of perps/aggressors hightailing it outta there as soon as the red (or green) dot comes onto them. It's gotta be very unnerving... as in... 'Whoops, I picked the wrong "victim"... MY nerve is GONE... Bye!'...
In the tense moments of an incident when, perhaps, the adrenaline is kicking in and things are somewhat wild and unpredictable, I, personally, would be VERY REASSURED by my red dot on the perp... WHETHER IT WAS SHAKING OR NOT!
She'll be practicing at the range with the laser on the target. She'll be used to it. She'll know how it looks on target. I feel lasers BUILD confidence. (But it's also good to practice some range time with it NOT on, so that one is also prepared for the rare possibility of a dead battery or other type of failure.)
I'm a big fan and supporter of lasers for SD. To me, it's a great help to know exactly where my gun is pointing whether I'm in a "normal" range-type stance or not.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 11-15-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I think you have a worry about the battery, turning on the switch on the bottom of the grip to power the laser, or you have such a death grip on the pistol that you are strangling it in an attempt to make sure that pressure plate is in the ON position.
JD
The reason i like this one so much is that it is built into the gun, and the on switch is placed very well,. It is push once - on/steady beam, twice - blinking, three-off. And it will help her to remember finger off the trigger until ready fire. We practiced drawing and tuning on the laser in one motion, which worked well, and this gun takes care of accidentally pushing twice as it would just blink.

BUT.. you have shown me the flaw i was not thinking of, and that is her getting used to having it, and the battery being dead. I DO NOT want her dependent on it, and not having it in that moment. With it being "on" when the button is pushed once, the odds of it getting accidentally pushed and the battery running out are greater.

EDIT: The laser has a five minute auto-off timer. But still how many times could that happen and you not know it.

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-15-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also on this gun, the laser is directly beneath the barrel, so hand/fingers wont cover it (i sure hope - i like ten fingers on my women)

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
What is it doing to the perp's state of mind?... There are many reports on record of perps/aggressors hightailing it outta there as soon as the red (or green) dot comes onto them. It's gotta be very unnerving... as in... 'Whoops, I picked the wrong "victim"... MY nerve is GONE... Bye!'
That was my reasoning for always having one on her gun and what you mentioned about it giving confidence as to where you're aiming. I just want her to have EVERY ADVANTAGE she can if ever in that situation.

I hope your right dillinger... i hope this thread does get a lot of input. Want to make sure I've thought of everything i can.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5920 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i would suggest practicing with and without the laser an equal amount. if your gona what if, what if the batteries are dead, or some lint or dirt is blocking the lens, the device fails, or the buggerer's clothing is making the dot hard to see. your mindset is to look for the dot that isnt there so the shot doesnt get made and i dont really need to go into what happens if the badguy wins.

lasers when used on clothing do not show up nearly as well in daytime or under street lighting as it does on paper on a range. i would suggest setting up some of yoour own typical outer wear on a chair at some distance away and practice what it looks like. most lasers dont really work that well on certain fabrics and colour combos. take a laser pointer to a clothing store and shine it around a bit.

thats why i dont use em. its a good training aid to develop trigger control but i think they are misplaced as a self defense primary aiming device. better off with a red dot type holo sight some are quite small these days if iron sights arent cutting it.

Last edited by JonM; 11-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2286 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I have a laser on my SP101. It is the only one lasered. I have found it to be a great training aid. It can teach you to control the pistol and will show any flinch. Dry firing really shows how badly you are moving the muzzle. My SP101 is DAO and it has helped me with staging the trigger. Mine is keyed to the sights and really lets you know when your allignment is off. I am not laser dependent. Some police agencies have added lasers to their duty guns and noticed a drop in shooting incidents.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lasers are OK, you have to practice with the laser just like you practice with the sights. It becomes the aiming device over the iron sights.

My problem is that at night, once you light it off, the perp knows where you are.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #10

i find laser's quiet useful for off hand shooting, like car jack scenarios, just try using your sights when your sitting behind the wheel

The Resident Vegan Hippie who loves guns