Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do you put your Firearm under Lock&Key in your Vehicle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

In NJ all firearms must be secured out of reach of the driver. Since no one but retired LEO get CCW anything else is out of the question. In NJ, adding insult to injury, open carry is considered concealed carry as is carrying in a vehicle. So the short of it is, if it's in the car it needs to be locked up, separate from the ammo; in other words a paperweight.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #12

I have a CPL which is the only legal way for a reg. citizen to legally transport a loaded firearm in a pass. veh. in Mi. at least as far as I know unless we get into the open carry subject which I'm not all that up on.
But anywhoo . . If I cant find a way around leaving my weapon behind, I use a steel lock box. $40.00 and "I really mean it when I say I try to avoid it"!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I live in Arkansas and have a CCL. I cary mine in a console that I bought for cds and stuff. It is in the floorboard right under the stereo. It rides with the barrel down and grip up in the holster. I can reach it while driving. I keep a ball cap over it so its not in plain sight but it is in reach.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
I remember hearing about the dashboard thing. Does not seem very good to do that at all.
I think it cut down on Road Rage a good bit. Then again, there used to be a roller coaster on Ocean View, Mount Trashmore was a dump, and the Peppermint Beach Club was really on the beach!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #15

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 54

When in my car i keep it in the glove box. If i get out of the car and leave it in their say, to go into some banks or GOV office or what not i just leave it in my glove box buried under a mountian of boring papers im sure a thief wouldnt waste their time digging though and just lock my doors of course, my glovebox dont lock so im kinda screwed their. i live in WA and have a CCW so 99% of the time i just take it outa the car. last year i was out in the mountains and came home for a few hours and was going to leave agin so i was about to leave my glock in the glove box of my civic while i went inside to shower, came back outside and my car was gone so its a good thing i took it inside with me to change from FMJ to hollow points,how ever i did leave my wallet in the car with my CC permit in it and about a month later the smart ass kids parrents found it and mailed it back to me with a return address of their house which turned out to be his chop shop.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
When in my car i keep it in the glove box. If i get out of the car and leave it in their say, to go into some banks or GOV office or what not i just leave it in my glove box buried under a mountian of boring papers im sure a thief wouldnt waste their time digging though and just lock my doors of course, my glovebox dont lock so im kinda screwed their. i live in WA and have a CCW so 99% of the time i just take it outa the car. last year i was out in the mountains and came home for a few hours and was going to leave agin so i was about to leave my glock in the glove box of my civic while i went inside to shower, came back outside and my car was gone so its a good thing i took it inside with me to change from FMJ to hollow points,how ever i did leave my wallet in the car with my CC permit in it and about a month later the smart ass kids parrents found it and mailed it back to me with a return address of their house which turned out to be his chop shop.
That is an awesome story! I bet you got them!
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #17

I keep my gun on my hip (in a holster) while driving. I keep it on my hip when I get out of the car, too.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
I keep my gun on my hip (in a holster) while driving. I keep it on my hip when I get out of the car, too.
And a .45 Cal too. Good choice.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
RED

Likes Given: 1

Default Never carry your gun on the seat

In MO you can legally carry a locked and loaded pistol any where in the car. personally, I would never carry mine laying loose anywhere, on the seat, dashboard, floor, ...anywhere. In case of a crash, there is no telling where it might wind up. I have a thumb break holster zip tied in my Caravan to the side of the driver's seat. Normally I will remove the pistol it and put it in my IWB holster if I leave the car. If that is not possible, then I lock it in the glove box.

Eventually I will by one of those little metal boxes that comes with a steel cable that locks it to the seat frame. Not that this will any way reduce the possibility of theft but if the bad guy steals my gun and uses it, then it MAY lessen my legal liabilities when I get sued.

"It doesn't have to make sense, it is just the law." K. Jamison

"A letter of reprimand is better than no mail at all."

Capt Joe Rowland USMC 1971.

Last edited by RED; 12-05-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: sPELLING TYPO

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #20

Default Locked personal defense weapon

If your situation dictates that your personal defense firearm be locked and or unloaded,(such as the case where children could possibly gain access) it's usefulness becomes so severely compromised that your chances of being shot by an intruder will probably actually increase. IMO, an intruder with a gun is far more likely to use it if he feels threatened by seeing his "victim" attempted to load or unlock their weapon that their chances of being killed or injured actually increase by brandishing an unload weapon.

The laws in my state are rather vague regarding carrying a loaded weapon in a car, unconcealed. Under state law it is legal but with a provision that allows individual counties or communities to override the state law! So it kind of depends upon where you happen to be driving at the time. I've carried a loaded handgun in my vehicle for nearly 30 years (semi-unconcealed ;-) and of course unlocked and plan to continue. In my home, the same. I have not come close to ever needing to use the weapons in either location, but enough people have, that I have concluded it is the most prudent course of action to take.

F. Prefect