Do you put your Firearm under Lock&Key in your Vehicle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do you put your Firearm under Lock&Key in your Vehicle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you put your Firearm under Lock&Key in your Vehicle?

Hi, everyone. This is a good topic to discuss regarding Concealed Carry, and one that might vary depending on your state and/or local laws.

Do you lock your firearm up in your vehicle? If so, how do you do that (what equipment do you use to do this?). If you don't put your firearm under lock&key within your car, where do you store the firearm inside your car/vehicle?

I personally use a Pistol Bag that I put a lock on within my car (it's fairly inexpensive, doesn't shift around too much within the car, and isn't bulky). I also often put the pistol bag out of view under the passenger side seat (I can reach over that way by simply putting my arm behind the seat, and without shifting my body position)(yes...I know that this is a common spot that a criminal would look for stuff at). If I'm driving my car/are in my car, I have it on my Passenger side seat, sometimes unzipped a little for easier access in the case of me having to defend myself lawfully (this is kind of iffy, because I assume in most states, it's illegal to shoot out of a car <If anyone has insight and/or real world experience with this, you can throw those opinions on here too).

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

lock it up while i'm driving? nope
when i leave it in the vehicle? depends on which one it is. my awesome minivan has a lock box under the front passenger seat. In my truck the glove box locks so I can lock it in there. In MI we are allowed to leave our loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as we lock the doors. I'm pretty sure this aspect of the law varies state to state.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

As usual Los Angeles sucks most of all. We have to have the gun unloaded and locked away from the driver. The ammunition also has to be locked away from the driver and away from the weapon. . This means no glove box. You also have to have a legitimate reason for having it in the car, i.e. going to or from the range. and you’re not allowed to be making any other stops on the way. Since my car has no trunk I have a three compartment range bag. I can lock the guns in the main compartment, and the ammo in the side compartments. Then I put the bag as far in the back as possible, so I can’t reach it while driving.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #4

Well, I think California has the worst Firearms laws of them all. In Virginia there is virtually no law that specifies how to have your gun in the car. I could have one loaded in the chamber, and sitting on my passenger seat in the open. No one is stupid enough to do that. Well, I personally have it at least in a holster while I'm in the car, and then because I don't want any theft to happen to me, I will at least put it out of sight before I leave the car (and I usually lock it in a pistol bag I have, then I put that under the passenger seat; and of course I always like my car up as I'm getting out of my seat).

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #5

In Wyoming you can carry loaded or unloaded anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your persons (on you).

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
In Wyoming you can carry loaded or unloaded anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your persons (on you).
In Virginia, you can do that, and also you can keep it concealed on your person.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
As usual Los Angeles sucks most of all. We have to have the gun unloaded and locked away from the driver. The ammunition also has to be locked away from the driver and away from the weapon. . This means no glove box. You also have to have a legitimate reason for having it in the car, i.e. going to or from the range. and you’re not allowed to be making any other stops on the way. Since my car has no trunk I have a three compartment range bag. I can lock the guns in the main compartment, and the ammo in the side compartments. Then I put the bag as far in the back as possible, so I can’t reach it while driving.
It's the same down here in Chile. You can't have the gun loaded with ammo. And you have to have a transport permit for the gun, which you only can get if you are are member of a gun-club, with the purpose of transporting the gun to the gunclub or to a competition. But I keep mine loaded anyhow. While driving, I usually put it in the sidepocket of my combat pants, or leave it in the holster at 3 o'clock. I never leave the gun in the car, I always take it with me, due to the high risk of the car getting stolen. I just can't imagine the bureaucratic hell I would have go through to report the gun stolen. As for CCW permit - I tried, not possible. I was informed that they only had issued 7 permit in the whole of Chile in 2009.... But I still carry.....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #8

Again as stated, it varies state to state, or country for that matter.

I have a secure lock box in my vehicles for when I have to leave my weapon in the vehicle. It is secured to the vehicle and out of sight. I am not required to do this, but gives me some piece of mind that I have made an effort to secure it. Thieves love finding loose firearms in vehicles. If I am driving, I carry the weapon on my person, as that is the best place to have it. California laws are absolutely horrible and I pity all gun owners in that state!

I suggest if you are going to leave a weapon in a vehicle, secure it as best you can, preferred would be locked in a secured gun lock box. They are around $40.00 and a good investment.

Stay safe,

Chris

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Well, I think California has the worst Firearms laws of them all. In Virginia there is virtually no law that specifies how to have your gun in the car. I could have one loaded in the chamber, and sitting on my passenger seat in the open. No one is stupid enough to do that. Well, I personally have it at least in a holster while I'm in the car, and then because I don't want any theft to happen to me, I will at least put it out of sight before I leave the car (and I usually lock it in a pistol bag I have, then I put that under the passenger seat; and of course I always like my car up as I'm getting out of my seat).
If you don't have a CWP in Virginia, the only way you CAN carry a loaded weapon in a car is in plain sight. "Back-in-the-day", it wasn't uncommon to see handguns on dashboards.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
If you don't have a CWP in Virginia, the only way you CAN carry a loaded weapon in a car is in plain sight. "Back-in-the-day", it wasn't uncommon to see handguns on dashboards.
I remember hearing about the dashboard thing. Does not seem very good to do that at all.