Do You Have To Tell An Officer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 465 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1461

I don't say anything unless they ask.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

In Alaska the State police just assumes you are carrying.
People Like This 
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Only ten states require you to inform.
But remember, cops don't like surprises!
Especially the the young inexperienced ones!
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

For Ohio, I got a great answer from the State Attorney General's office - the people that publish the little CCW Booklets they pass out at class and control the state's laws.. We have a duty to inform immediately, but what an attorney in the office told me was that it was only required "when the officer was in the act of an enforcement action." Pulled over on highway? Notify. Say hello to cop in donut shop? Don't notify. Officer walks up to you in mall and asks if he can ask you a few questions? Notify. Ask officer for directions? Don't notify.

That makes it really easy for us, and truthfully, everyone but State Troopers are very cool about it. You can also ask some of the cops on patrol what they feel and what the general consensus of the department is. Most cops are more than happy to tell you what the feelings are in their house. I asked about three officers in each branch to get a good feel and make things easy on me and them as well!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Legal and smart are two diff subjects altogether. I dont carry but if I did, I would likely not ever want to surprise a LEO if I could help it. If your legally carrying or transporting, the weapon should not be a problem, the infraction you got pulled over should be. Its a courtesy if not required to let an officer know you are not a threat to them because your telling them ahead of time that you wont surprise them with anything but a silly answer as to why you were going 65 in a 40 zone!

I think where you are matters also, some places LEO's dont agree that armed citizens are a healthy part of our civilization but Upstate NY is not one of those places. Our Officers understand that there are many reasons a citizen would legally carry in a very rural part of the nation and committing crimes isnt one that legal carry permit holders do often here. The vetting process is so intense, many states with ccws allow NYers to CCW in their states as well

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Officer walks up to you in mall and asks if he can ask you a few questions? Notify.
Might consider watching the "do not talk to police" legal video again.

"Am I being detained, or am I free to go?"

Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Might consider watching the "do not talk to police" legal video again.

"Am I being detained, or am I free to go?"
Well, in Ohio, the very first words would have to be, "I'm legally carrying a firearm" and then you could continue with whatever you wished. Officers in Ohio have absolutely no reaction when you notify - they act like, "Yeah, whatever."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #18

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

In florida you have no duty to disclose. And I don't unless asked ( which you are required to disclose if asked )

Cops used to be good and there were always a bad apple but those bad apples were the exception rather than the rule. These days it seems the bad apples are the rule rather than the exception. Killing dogs , campers , the homeless , no knock raids on wrong houses
And the " good ones " stand around while the bad ones conduct their criminal affairs . And then if caught more often than not the words " The officer acted within dept policy " by their superiors .

These days I don't see them any different than your garden variety criminal .
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Well, in Ohio, the very first words would have to be, "I'm legally carrying a firearm" and then you could continue with whatever you wished. Officers in Ohio have absolutely no reaction when you notify - they act like, "Yeah, whatever."
I'm not familiar with OH law, nor am I an attorney...

If a LEO walks up to you and says I have some questions... are you required to disclose, remember, you're not detained.

If he walks up to you and says, boy, it's hot today, are you required to disclose.

He's in line in front of you at the doughnut shop do you have to disclose?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1017 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Ohio requires duty to notify immediately on official contact. Texas & Oklahoma too!
IL I don't know. Thirty-nine states require upon demand of LEO.
It's up to you to check state laws where you travel. Oh! I am not an attorney either, but I have seen them on TV.

Last edited by 25-5; 04-06-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Closed Thread