Do You Have To Tell An Officer? - Page 19
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
G30USMC and i discussed this before. i don't remember if it was this thread or another, but he confirmed something i had read somewhere years ago. the two most dangerous calls a LEO encounters where they have been injured or killed were simple traffic stops and domestic disturbance calls involving family members.

just because a LEO has run the plates on your vehicle and knows the owner of that vehicle has CC permit, how does he know thats the person that driving that vehicle at the time he stops it? he doesn't. what if the vehicle has been stolen, but not reported yet? all he does know is the owner has a CC permit, but doesn't know who's driving it until he makes contact.
...and it comes full circle back to the real problem. "If" officers were not stopping commuters over minor violation as an "excuse" to "stop n sniff" for the sake of padding their drug arrest stats... None of this would be of concern.

Stick to stopping truly dangerous and reckless drivers and no one will have a problem with it being conducted as a "felony stop."

Tack
People Like This 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 AM   #182
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2254 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
G30USMC and i discussed this before. i don't remember if it was this thread or another, but he confirmed something i had read somewhere years ago. the two most dangerous calls a LEO encounters where they have been injured or killed were simple traffic stops and domestic disturbance calls involving family members.

just because a LEO has run the plates on your vehicle and knows the owner of that vehicle has CC permit, how does he know thats the person that driving that vehicle at the time he stops it? he doesn't. what if the vehicle has been stolen, but not reported yet? all he does know is the owner has a CC permit, but doesn't know who's driving it until he makes contact.
Thanks Axxe,

That is what I have been trying to get through to those hard headed guys. You can't tell the players without a program!!! So let the cop know what position you are playing!
People Like This 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #183
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Thanks Axxe,

That is what I have been trying to get through to those hard headed guys. You can't tell the players without a program!!! So let the cop know what position you are playing!
pretty much that. what's wrong with everyone going home safely to their families? IMO, i think most LEO's will give bit more leniancy to someone that makes them feel more at ease during that stop. just an opinion though.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #184

Liked 459 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1409

To the title of the thread yes you have to tell the officer if your state laws require it,do you have to tell them if your state law does not require it well no you do not.
I have several Leo friends/acquaintances that I have asked the question do you or would you like to know and they all answer differently some say yes some say no others answer like this,if I ask you have to tell me if I don't it Is up to you to tell me,also it may make your simple stop that would have taken ten minutes take a lot longer depending on the officer who stops you.
So that being said the short answer is depending on YOUR state laws it comes down to your choice I choose not to say anything and have had contact with police and I'm still here to write this drawn out answer.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #185
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just curious, how many 'vehicle stops' have each of you made in your life!!! If you have not made many/any 'vehicle stops' and/or approached a vehicle which is unk to you full of people you don't know, how do you feel qualified to give ADVICE (we all have opinions, and you know what they about them) to people about this situation????
GonzoLonzo Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Just curious, how many 'vehicle stops' have each of you made in your life!!! If you have not made many/any 'vehicle stops' and/or approached a vehicle which is unk to you full of people you don't know, how do you feel qualified to give ADVICE (we all have opinions, and you know what they about them) to people about this situation????
On the flip side, how many of us have been stopped in our vehicle by an LEO? Seems like many of us have and have some opinions and some advice based on those opinions and experiences. Some of the people in the thread have been licensed concealed carriers for a loooong time and have had interactions with LEOs during that time.

What is wrong with getting the other side of the conversation?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #187

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

I just wish once you notify the LEO your carrying and you hand over the ccw permit with the license you didn't have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. Like I said before, the ccw citizen who notified the LEO he's carrying does not pose a threat like the criminal who is illegally concealed carrying a weapon. If for some reason there needs to be an arrest after the stop then the hands on the steering wheel makes since. By the way tack lots of dangerous criminals are apprehended during traffic stops. Of those felony traffic stops and dangerous criminals apprehended I'm sure they are probably not licensed ccw holders. However this is just the way our justice system works, guilty till proven innocent.

Never enough guns or ammo
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #188

Liked 459 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1409

Quote:
how is me telling an officer going to change anything other than now he knows im carrying,if i was a bad guy would i tell him?
your logic makes no sence at all, im not a bad guy and my firearm will not leave its holster,so by me telling him what would change?
we still have some rights and i choose to excercise them,if i have bad intentions well the officer will find out but sence i dont thats all that matters.
also is the officer than going to tell me what and where his concealed backup firearm is or does it matter?
People Like This 
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #189

Liked 245 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I live in a State where you are not required to inform the officer. I was recently stopped by a Wildlife Officer (going a little too fast in a no wake zone, I was not familiar with the area and missed the sign apparently). I did not inform the officer and after he took my license to run a check he asked me if there were any weapons on the boat. Obviously my CCW popped up on his checks.

I politely told him no. He was very relaxed about the whole thing, just checked out my boat to make sure I had the correct safety equipment and let me go with a warning probably because he probably also saw I never had a ticket in my life lol.

While I did not volunteer any information at that time I think it would depend on the situation. If it was dark and I had a sidearm on me in my car I probably would inform just in case it became exposed. If the gun was in the center console where it would not be exposed then maybe not.

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer on this one. I think you should decide based on the situation you find yourself in.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #190
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
On the flip side, how many of us have been stopped in our vehicle by an LEO? Seems like many of us have and have some opinions and some advice based on those opinions and experiences. Some of the people in the thread have been licensed concealed carriers for a loooong time and have had interactions with LEOs during that time.

What is wrong with getting the other side of the conversation?
I can say I have probably been 'stopped' as many, if not more, times than most by the cops. That is why I said I can relate to BOTH sides of this argument/discussion.
But how many of those who have been 'stopped' can say they have been on the 'other side' of this discussion???

Closed Thread