Do You Have To Tell An Officer? - Page 18
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
LOL....No offense but the problem is city corruption, for all you folks that live in the city there is always strange things happening in the PD
Cities may be writing the codes but the trust is being lost on the street where officers are putting their pay checks ahead of their oaths and mistaking "code enforcement" for "law enforcement".

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 04-21-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #172
Administrator
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Back to the topic.............

Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #173
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, I think the topic was decently covered with opinions varying GREATLY across a variety of forumites and licensed concealed carriers. Though, I'm not sure everybody has had a chance to express their opinion yet.

BUT, what about all the places/situations that don't require a permit to carry or an agreement to inform, such as MS with the car carry and open carry situation? You have a loaded pistol in your open glove box of your Miata, and the officer is walking toward your vehicle, ticket book in hand; what do you do? Now, me personally, having had many, many "druggie friends" over the years, when I get pulled over, it is "lights on, windows down, hands visible with license & insurance in the left hand" but that is just me and doesn't include hollering "I'm packing heat here". If asked if that is what that is in the dash or seat, I will answer honestly (copy of car carry law & OC law in glove box and attached to other car pistol holster).

There is a continuum from "SCARY GUY WAVING GUN" to "oh yes, there is a legal pistol in the dash for my safety"; where would you land? For any officers working in such a permit-free situation, what do you expect and what would you prefer. It is my understanding from a couple of policeman clients and others in their field that they assume everybody here, especially older women, has a loaded firearm somewhere in the vehicle and are maybe a little extra vigilant in their visual scan of the vehicle's passenger compartment for their safety.

I can't tell you how many times I've been fetching something from a buddy's car and had to get it from under a pistol or holster or mag or simply sat on a dark car seat to later realize it was uncomfortable due to a little pocket pistol. My buddy who did stereo installs for years said they had a standard procedure for any firearms they needed to move during an install, firearm went to the trunk without any clearing or unholstering (they wear work gloves, sharp metal).

Last edited by orangello; 04-19-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #174

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

When they run my plates it informs them I'm a CCW permit holder so they already know. I just follow basic common courtesy. Assure my gun is out of sight, have my stuff together before they get to my window, keep my hands on the wheel, and be polite. I've never been asked of I have weapons in the car. I've also only been given warnings.
Guess I'm lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 95 Posts

Default Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Somebody show me where a ccw holder went crazy and started shooting at police at a traffic stop. I hate the hands on the steering wheel procedure with a passion even though I follow it. A law abiding citizen who passed the background check and mandatory ccw classes needs be treated like a threat when pulled over. Some might disagree but this just doesn't seem right to me. The real threat is not going to inform the officer he is carrying a weapon.

Never enough guns or ammo
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #176

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Much of the underlying theme to this disagreement is simply that "some" of us are eager to prove we're ok to carry... Ya know... A good guy, and some of us have no interest in proving anything to anyone.

regardless of where we fall on this debate, CCW holders are notoriously law abiding and pose no threat to Officers administrating their duties.
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #177
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 95 Posts

Default Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
regardless of where we fall on this debate, CCW holders are notoriously law abiding and pose no threat to Officers administrating their duties.

Exactly!! So why is this procedure in place? Like I said, I follow said procedure, even though it's totally unnecessary. I don't want to prove anything, just hate being treated like a potential criminal when I have a squeaky clean record and follow laws best I can.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #178

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Ky has no duty to inform. I would hand my CCDW with my license anyhow. Dad was a cop he said he always appreciated it.
It's true that we have no duty to inform but if the officer runs a check on your drivers license it will show that you have a CCP so might as well tell them right up front.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #179
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3225 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Much of the underlying theme to this disagreement is simply that "some" of us are eager to prove we're ok to carry... Ya know... A good guy, and some of us have no interest in proving anything to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
Exactly!! So why is this procedure in place? Like I said, I follow said procedure, even though it's totally unnecessary. I don't want to prove anything, just hate being treated like a potential criminal when I have a squeaky clean record and follow laws best I can.

You know that you are a law abiding citizen and pose no threat to the officer. There's a pretty good chance that the officer does NOT know you. If he wants to return home safely every night, he basically has to treat each stop as though it was dangerous. Complacency is his biggest risk.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #180
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
You know that you are a law abiding citizen and pose no threat to the officer. There's a pretty good chance that the officer does NOT know you. If he wants to return home safely every night, he basically has to treat each stop as though it was dangerous. Complacency is his biggest risk.
G30USMC and i discussed this before. i don't remember if it was this thread or another, but he confirmed something i had read somewhere years ago. the two most dangerous calls a LEO encounters where they have been injured or killed were simple traffic stops and domestic disturbance calls involving family members.

just because a LEO has run the plates on your vehicle and knows the owner of that vehicle has CC permit, how does he know thats the person that driving that vehicle at the time he stops it? he doesn't. what if the vehicle has been stolen, but not reported yet? all he does know is the owner has a CC permit, but doesn't know who's driving it until he makes contact.

Closed Thread