Do You Have To Tell An Officer? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #91
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1759 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

Certain things don't help, like this bumper sticker "If this cars a rockin', my Glock's a'cockin'"

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #92

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I am not certain if this was mentioned, but are people familiar with a Terry stop?

Let me start with this: In some states, you are REQUIRED to inform the officer. In those states, INFORM THE OFFICER. Period. Simple as that.

In other states, like here in Virginia, I have no legal requirement to inform the officer, HOWEVER, when the officer runs my tag (if the vehicle is registered to me. 2 of the 3 I drive daily are) the LARGEST letters on his screen, in bright green, says Concealed Carry Permit Holder. So, he probably already knows.

Now, for the Terry stop: A Terry Stop, also known as a Stop and Frisk, is perfectly legal per Terry v. Ohio, WITHOUT a warrant or even Probable Cause. ANY Law Enforcement Officer can ask you to step out of the vehicle, and frisk you for weapons, to ensure their own safety, WITHOUT A WARRANT!

With that being said, before we try to get all high and mighty, if you are required to tell, then tell. If not, they can still find out without a warrant. And, if you make the officer jump through ALL those hoops to figure it out for themselves, do you REALLY think you'll get off with a warning?!

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IIRC, a LEO's pay comes from the taxes collected from the citizens in which he works for. that LEO made the career choice he made. no one forced him into that line of work. so as a servant of the people, yes he is required to act in a certain manner. these facts seem to elude this newer generation of LEO's.

i remember the motto, "To protect and serve" being on every police car. is that not being observed anymore these days? or it is considered old-fashioned?
So are you saying it is a sport and LEO's are fair game because they chose this job???
If so I am sorry to here that. I thought you had more respect for those of us who as you say 'made the career choice'.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I've been courteous to every Cop I've ever encountered... Rudeness is for kids looking to prove something.

I simply see no need to inject an unrelated topic into the transaction.

Been stopped 5 times in the 20 years I've been carrying a gun, was armed every time, both I and the officer were cordial every time "with 1 notable exception" "see my past thread titled Funny Traffic Stop"... ...and I've never been asked if I had a weapon, never been asked to exit the vehicle, never heard anything from the Cop that was not related to the traffic issue he stopped me for.

Maybe WA and OR Hiway Patrolmen are just better trained than others? Maybe a grey haired 40+ professional in a clean vehicle does not at rouse their curiosity? Maybe I'm just lucky and one day some wet behind the ear rookie will wind up cuffed to his own brush guard and placed under citizens arrest for "attempting"
to violate my rights...

Who knows?

For my part, I will continue to follow the law to the letter, and expect any professional LEO with reason to contact me to do the same.

Tack
All it takes is ONE surprise and ONE mistake to make for a VERY BAD DAY FOR ALL!!! Why chance it? Just use common sense and common courtesy. Is that to much to ask of those we serve??????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
All it takes is ONE surprise and ONE mistake to make for a VERY BAD DAY FOR ALL!!! Why chance it? Just use common sense and common courtesy. Is that to much to ask of those we serve??????
Some of you people are just scared to death, I been stopped out of state also and never been asked if I was carring a weapon. I just never tell them unless its on a need to know bascis.

Just funny how people react to such things.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #96

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I don't see it as a "courtesy" thing. Now... If I had prison tats running up my next, drove a trashed beater, or otherwise "looked" like someone LEO's would be concerned with... Then I might consider handing my CCW over with my license but my reality is that I'm "not that guy."

If I'm asked to exit, I would certainly hand over the CCW before getting out because sure... I don't want to look like I'm hiding anything, but during the course of a "normal" stop, I just see how my status is relevant unless the officer asks.

Tack
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
I don't see it as a "courtesy" thing. Now... If I had prison tats running up my next, drove a trashed beater, or otherwise "looked" like someone LEO's would be concerned with... Then I might consider handing my CCW over with my license but my reality is that I'm "not that guy."

If I'm asked to exit, I would certainly hand over the CCW before getting out because sure... I don't want to look like I'm hiding anything, but during the course of a "normal" stop, I just see how my status is relevant unless the officer asks.

Tack
You couldn't of said that better Tack!

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Some of you people are just scared to death, I been stopped out of state also and never been asked if I was carring a weapon. I just never tell them unless its on a need to know bascis.

Just funny how people react to such things.
Thank you for proving my point! Some of those who are LEO's are scared and they don't take to kindly to 'gun' surprises.
SO why take that chance when a little common sense and common courtesy could prevent a VERY BAD situation???????

therukh Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Tack
And you never will. I hope your 'attitude' don't cost you or a LEO their life!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-15-2014 at 12:41 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It is whatever state law says.

The few times i have been stopped driving i hand the ccw card over with the license as doing so shows ive got nothing to hide and avoids having a gun drawn if the officer sees mine printing or peeking out.

Wisconsin has n duty to inform but i do so just so there is no monkey business
Common sense and common courtesy (communication) is what will prevent 'monkey business', we in LE thank you!

People Like This 
Closed Thread