Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

So I know when carrying and pulled over for a traffic violation you are required to inform the officer promptly that you in fact have a weapon. However I have often wondered. How does that work for a simple license check road block? More so. Are you required to inform them if you are in your own yard? Let's say the neighbor Called in a suspicious individual walking down the street. Upon knocking on my door the officer asks if I've seen or heard anything outta the norm. Should I inform him to do the right thing or should I just not mention it if it's not brought up? Would it only mean that now I've got to sit around and wait for him to run the numbers? Or if you are in your own home does he/she even have the right to do so? Also along the same line. Let's talk open carry. ( I only do so at my own home). But if the neighbor notices it while I'm out cutting grass or walking the dog etc. and it were to make them nervous and call. Does the officer have the right to run numbers or request any info at all? I would have plenty of reason to think the answers to these questions would simply be no on all of the above. However I've seen crazier things happen.

Any advice or points to the right direction for legal standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm in Georgia.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5254 Times on 2740 Posts
Likes Given: 331

It is whatever state law says.

The few times i have been stopped driving i hand the ccw card over with the license as doing so shows ive got nothing to hide and avoids having a gun drawn if the officer sees mine printing or peeking out.

Wisconsin has n duty to inform but i do so just so there is no monkey business

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2638 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1170

Follow JonM's advice.
Most LEO in Florida appreciate the gesture and normally will not pursue the matter of a firearm any further.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

goldngun Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ky has no duty to inform. I would hand my CCDW with my license anyhow. Dad was a cop he said he always appreciated it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Only ten states require you to inform.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 161

ALWAYS tell the officer up front and immediately. I do and it's always a friendly professional conversation. Most officers ask what I'm carrying & how I like it. I know how I'd feel if I were in his place, was not told, and then saw a pistol. First thought is CRIMINAL!!

Rand Paul for Pres!

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1424 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 713

I am not familiar with GA gun laws but would be very surprised if you can't carry on your property. As long as you keep it holstered and don't draw unnecessarily, you should be alright. Beyond the question you ask, if I may. Weigh your real need to have a loaded firearm where people can see it vs drawing attention and possible scrutiny for nothing. Legal does not equal your best judgement.

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1380 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It is whatever state law says.

The few times i have been stopped driving i hand the ccw card over with the license as doing so shows ive got nothing to hide and avoids having a gun drawn if the officer sees mine printing or peeking out.

Wisconsin has n duty to inform but i do so just so there is no monkey business
Here in NC we do have a duty ro inform an officer at a traffic stop. It does not matter to me if it is just a drivers license check point. I hand the officer my permit and drivers license and keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer gives me further instructions. All but once, the officer instructed me to have a nice day.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 04-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19819 Times on 11253 Posts
Likes Given: 49938

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis View Post
So I know when carrying and pulled over for a traffic violation you are required to inform the officer promptly that you in fact have a weapon. However I have often wondered. How does that work for a simple license check road block? More so. Are you required to inform them if you are in your own yard? Let's say the neighbor Called in a suspicious individual walking down the street. Upon knocking on my door the officer asks if I've seen or heard anything outta the norm. Should I inform him to do the right thing or should I just not mention it if it's not brought up? Would it only mean that now I've got to sit around and wait for him to run the numbers? Or if you are in your own home does he/she even have the right to do so? Also along the same line. Let's talk open carry. ( I only do so at my own home). But if the neighbor notices it while I'm out cutting grass or walking the dog etc. and it were to make them nervous and call. Does the officer have the right to run numbers or request any info at all? I would have plenty of reason to think the answers to these questions would simply be no on all of the above. However I've seen crazier things happen.

Any advice or points to the right direction for legal standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm in Georgia.

Thanks
very simple. read and understand the laws in your state.

simply put in most states, if required to inform, if the officer is doing so in the performance of his official duties, you are required to inform.

check and read the laws in your state. none of us here are lawyers and cant give you legal advice. laws vary from state to state. what i can or can't do here in Texas, may be totally different in Georgia.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

read and understand your state laws

Closed Thread