Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Do You Have To Tell An Officer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/do-you-have-tell-officer-105817/)

DodgeThis 04-04-2014 02:48 PM

Do You Have To Tell An Officer?

So I know when carrying and pulled over for a traffic violation you are required to inform the officer promptly that you in fact have a weapon. However I have often wondered. How does that work for a simple license check road block? More so. Are you required to inform them if you are in your own yard? Let's say the neighbor Called in a suspicious individual walking down the street. Upon knocking on my door the officer asks if I've seen or heard anything outta the norm. Should I inform him to do the right thing or should I just not mention it if it's not brought up? Would it only mean that now I've got to sit around and wait for him to run the numbers? Or if you are in your own home does he/she even have the right to do so? Also along the same line. Let's talk open carry. ( I only do so at my own home). But if the neighbor notices it while I'm out cutting grass or walking the dog etc. and it were to make them nervous and call. Does the officer have the right to run numbers or request any info at all? I would have plenty of reason to think the answers to these questions would simply be no on all of the above. However I've seen crazier things happen.

Any advice or points to the right direction for legal standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm in Georgia.

Thanks

JonM 04-04-2014 03:25 PM

It is whatever state law says.

The few times i have been stopped driving i hand the ccw card over with the license as doing so shows ive got nothing to hide and avoids having a gun drawn if the officer sees mine printing or peeking out.

Wisconsin has n duty to inform but i do so just so there is no monkey business

danf_fl 04-04-2014 03:28 PM

Follow JonM's advice.
Most LEO in Florida appreciate the gesture and normally will not pursue the matter of a firearm any further.

kytowboater 04-04-2014 03:38 PM

Ky has no duty to inform. I would hand my CCDW with my license anyhow. Dad was a cop he said he always appreciated it.

25-5 04-04-2014 03:45 PM

Only ten states require you to inform.

goldngun 04-04-2014 03:49 PM

ALWAYS tell the officer up front and immediately. I do and it's always a friendly professional conversation. Most officers ask what I'm carrying & how I like it. I know how I'd feel if I were in his place, was not told, and then saw a pistol. First thought is CRIMINAL!!

Mercator 04-04-2014 03:57 PM

I am not familiar with GA gun laws but would be very surprised if you can't carry on your property. As long as you keep it holstered and don't draw unnecessarily, you should be alright. Beyond the question you ask, if I may. Weigh your real need to have a loaded firearm where people can see it vs drawing attention and possible scrutiny for nothing. Legal does not equal your best judgement.

John_Deer 04-04-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1549231)
It is whatever state law says.

The few times i have been stopped driving i hand the ccw card over with the license as doing so shows ive got nothing to hide and avoids having a gun drawn if the officer sees mine printing or peeking out.

Wisconsin has n duty to inform but i do so just so there is no monkey business

Here in NC we do have a duty ro inform an officer at a traffic stop. It does not matter to me if it is just a drivers license check point. I hand the officer my permit and drivers license and keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer gives me further instructions. All but once, the officer instructed me to have a nice day.

Axxe55 04-04-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeThis (Post 1549201)
So I know when carrying and pulled over for a traffic violation you are required to inform the officer promptly that you in fact have a weapon. However I have often wondered. How does that work for a simple license check road block? More so. Are you required to inform them if you are in your own yard? Let's say the neighbor Called in a suspicious individual walking down the street. Upon knocking on my door the officer asks if I've seen or heard anything outta the norm. Should I inform him to do the right thing or should I just not mention it if it's not brought up? Would it only mean that now I've got to sit around and wait for him to run the numbers? Or if you are in your own home does he/she even have the right to do so? Also along the same line. Let's talk open carry. ( I only do so at my own home). But if the neighbor notices it while I'm out cutting grass or walking the dog etc. and it were to make them nervous and call. Does the officer have the right to run numbers or request any info at all? I would have plenty of reason to think the answers to these questions would simply be no on all of the above. However I've seen crazier things happen.

Any advice or points to the right direction for legal standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm in Georgia.

Thanks

very simple. read and understand the laws in your state.

simply put in most states, if required to inform, if the officer is doing so in the performance of his official duties, you are required to inform.

check and read the laws in your state. none of us here are lawyers and cant give you legal advice. laws vary from state to state. what i can or can't do here in Texas, may be totally different in Georgia.

partdeux 04-04-2014 11:44 PM

read and understand your state laws