Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it..... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I openly carry at the ranges I go to. Even if I am shooting a rifle, I will take it with me downrange when checking targets.

It's hard to trust people nowadays, which sucks.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #22

Ive had a run in at a range with unsavory characters before and it was quite unpleasant. I had a Loaded Winchester 70 in my hands and they still pushed and hollered, very scary. I now keep a pistol on me at all times at the range, and all of my firearms are loaded after being shot. My sidearm doesnt get shot until its replaced by another.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
Ive had a run in at a range with unsavory characters before and it was quite unpleasant.
Just a question. Are the people you encountered armed themselves and just being stupid, or were they armed and looking for trouble? Seems to me only an idiot would whoop and holler at someone with a loaded rifle.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #24

Michael Lee Platt and William Russell Matix, the baddies in the famous FBI shootout amassed most of their weapons ambushing people shooting on public land in the Everglades of Florida.

Bad guys have figured out that robbing people leaving public and private ranges is an easy fast way to get guns. Carry you gun. Carry your gun at Church (Colorado had 2 active shooter scenarios in 2008 and a quick google turned up a LOT of shooters at services). Carry your gun. EVERYWHERE. I'm not saying to break the law, but I sure miss a sign and forget 'that was on me' an awful lot.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Just a question. Are the people you encountered armed themselves and just being stupid, or were they armed and looking for trouble? Seems to me only an idiot would whoop and holler at someone with a loaded rifle.
I would have to say armed and drunk or just armed and aggressive.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely time to vacate the area then if people like that are around....

Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #27

My buddies and I have encountered a few of these "nuts" at the public outdoor range we frequent. We always carry one mag loaded with our favorite PD ammo in it. When I'm done firing my target ammo, I replace the spent mag with my PD loaded mag. Always.

Another thing I do when I arrive at the range. I sit in my truck for however long it takes to observe anybody that is firing. I like to observe how they handle their weapons and how they practice safety.

I agree with whomever said to carry your weapon with you everywhere. I'm never without mine. With the exception of places that I cannot legally carry one by law. I drive a gas tanker for a living and my it's against company policy to carry one at work. Screw that. I go to work at midnight and deliver gas to some unsavory places. My pistol is right on my side at all times.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVG40 View Post
I drive a gas tanker for a living and my it's against company policy to carry one at work. Screw that. I go to work at midnight and deliver gas to some unsavory places. My pistol is right on my side at all times.
Good on you.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #29

From the sounds of it, I think I'd find more comfortable places to shoot. I live out in the country and we shoot at friend's homes (well, not at their homes ) we also have some good local gun clubs.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #30

I've been to the range where the pastor was shot many times. It's maintaned by the state and is in a state park. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

The last time I was there as a youngster with my dad we had a bad incident. I was probably 13 and sighting in my .243 handi-rifle. Looking at my target through the scope I was taking my time. Finally settled the cross hairs and fired. When I glanced up from the scope I noticed there were people half-way down range staring at us.

They had walked out on a live fire range without giving any warning or announcing the "all clear." Neither of us noticed as we were both looking at the target through a scope. We didn't even retrieve the target. my dad was furious at others negligence (especially at the fact no one but us thought it was a big deal) and we immediately left.

As mentioned before the two murders were apprehended and were both awol from the military. If I remember the local news story correctly he was shot in the back of the head by one of his own weapons and I believe he was either kneeling or setting at a bench. Also, it mentioned he was an avid shooter.

Sad.