Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it.....

Pastor killed, and firearms stolen while at a West Virginia State shooting range........

Churches mourn shooting death of Huntington pastor - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

From the "facts" listed in the news report, and there aren't many, I don't think him carrying for protection would have stopped this attack. He was shot once, at close range, possibly with one of the weapons he had with him at the range.

Speculative - But at this point I am going to go with someone who knew the victim and this was not random. I think the theft of the guns was probably secondary to the murder itself.

Be interesting to see how this plays out. Condolences to the family and friends - I hope they catch the guy and let the mob have him. He sounded like a good man....

As to the question in general - Yes, I frequently carry while at the range and don't shoot with my carry gun at that time. When I want to practice with my carry piece, I rotate to my full size on my hip. Better to be safe than sorry....

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The way things are today I would consider public shooting ranges one of the most dangerous places in the world, like public land during deer season. All kinds of nut cases go to public ranges - you;'ve seen them - all decked out in camo and referring to their AR-15's and AK-47 clones as "assault rifles", or using the 100 yd range to shoot their "tactical' Shotguns and hitting everything BUT their target. Many of these weekend warriors live in the city and only shoot a couple of times a year, which in and of itself makes them dangerous!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always carry while at the range, like Dillinger I do not shoot that gun at that time. And I thought I was a little nutty for doing so, but there was one time a group of shady guys came in to shoot, and I just thought I am very vulnerable while reloading. Ever sense then, I have always been armed at the range.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #5

This is a real shame. I feel for his family and friends. I also do not believe being armed would have been a benefit in this case. I have heard of people being robbed of their guns and belongings while at the range but do not remember anyone being killed. What a waste of a good human life.

I, for a long time, have been very nervous while at the range when there is only one other shooter or single group of shooters. I am always observant and on guard. Paranoid I guess. I also always have one handgun loaded and ready for use if required. This includes when going down range to check/change targets. Consequently, usually concealed.

I truly hate to believe someone would do this but this day and age we have to be ever vigilant.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, and here's why.

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Yes, and here's why.
Nice place to shoot though! That is until you run into Charlie Manson wanna be's...

Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Nice place to shoot though! That is until you run into Charlie Manson wanna be's...
It is a nice place to shoot. I also don't go alone. We're not standing like targets right next to each other either. If one was in trouble the other one's always in range to open a second front. My new favorite place is the highest ground in the area. I can see anyone coming from up to a mile away, no one will catch us by surprise. Nice little dust trails exposes everyone coming up that way.

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
It is a nice place to shoot. I also don't go alone. We're not standing like targets right next to each other either. If one was in trouble the other one's always in range to open a second front. My new favorite place is the highest ground in the area. I can see anyone coming from up to a mile away, no one will catch us by surprise. Nice little dust trails exposes everyone coming up that way.

+1. Get a Barrett .50!!! Unless that's the Ca. desert, in which case you can't own one...

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1. Get a Barrett .50!!! Unless that's the Ca. desert, in which case you can't own one...
I live in the free desert of....

9x18=Makarov