Do You Carry Cocked and Locked? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Carry Cocked and Locked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I went through a period where I didn't unload the magazines to my PT92 for over 10 years. When I finally did start up shooting again, all the magazines worked flawlessly. And they still work without fail. I've not changed a single spring, and they still respond the same as they did the first day I bought them.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #32

RL357 has a point....it is good practice to cycle your magazines in order to ease the springs, just a part of good mainatance. I appreciate that Al had a couple of mags loaded for ten years and they still work great but it's sods law that when the time comes a magazine might fail for want of a couple of extra magazines and a minute once in a blue moon to unload and reload.....

Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Actually, that was 5 magazines that were loaded all that time.

Big Gay Al

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #34

...That's fine but during the attempted kidnapping of a senior member of the Royal Family in London a few years ago, her Close Protection Officer only got one round off, because the magazine spring failed, he hadn't cycled them out easing the springs.

Just because you are fortunate and it didn't happen to you my friend does not mean that it can't, and will not happen in the future. All as I am saying that is good practice to do so, and if you have five magazines then you have no excuse not too. If you do not take the advice offered my myself and others in the spirit in which it was given, it's fine I am certainly not offended...

Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cocked and Locked? Springs that take a set?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Responce to all about "Cocked and Locked" and Springs that take a "SET"!

I no Longer carry Condition # 1 in my 1911A1 as well as Browning High power clone, I normally carry Condition 3, Mag in, empty chamber, if I don't have the extra 5-8 seconds to draw and rack the slide, then we all are Living After WSHTF? As for Cycling of Bullets in Loaded mags and letting springs rest in Fireams, thats been proven BOTH ways! I see the Wisdom in letting parts re4st, as well checking ammo, when you cycle rounds in Pistol or Rifle magazines, BUT, Let me also say that in 25 years of Gunhandling, I've had never a FTF or Falure to fire all the weapons that I kept mags loaded and Cocked and Locked for months on end! I guess, I buy into the Let things rest, theory, as well as the Better to check it all out and re-cycle rounds on regular periodic checks as way to never have malufnctions? I hope that makes more sense than it looks readng it? LOL All for now, Just my thoughts!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #36

I carry my GSR 1911 cocked & locked (round chambered, thumb safety on) every day, and that's how it stays at night in on of those holster holders that fits between the mattress and box spring. I don't worry about springs "taking a set" or bullets being forced back into the casing. Why? Because I shoot all the time. I shoot 230 gr FMJ for practice and I load it with 200 gr. JHP for for personal defense. But I always make sure to set one range session aside each month to shoot however much defense ammo I have. That way I always have fresh rounds that haven't been chambered, ejected,and rechambered, nor do I have to worry about rotating my ammo in my mags. Just my $.02. BTW, where the hell did the key with the cent sign on it go

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
...That's fine but during the attempted kidnapping of a senior member of the Royal Family in London a few years ago, her Close Protection Officer only got one round off, because the magazine spring failed, he hadn't cycled them out easing the springs.

Just because you are fortunate and it didn't happen to you my friend does not mean that it can't, and will not happen in the future. All as I am saying that is good practice to do so, and if you have five magazines then you have no excuse not too. If you do not take the advice offered my myself and others in the spirit in which it was given, it's fine I am certainly not offended...
What can I say, in my experience, it's not how long the spring has been compressed, it's how well the spring is made. I've seen brand new springs that failed, and I've seen springs compressed for months and years that worked like brand new.

When I bought 3 "new" magazines for my Para-Ordnance P1445, I tested the springs thoroughly, and found them wanting. I ordered 3 replacements from Wolff Springs, and couldn't be happier.

Do I recommend people keep their mags loaded for months or years, and then trust them? No. All I'm saying is, this situation is not constant across the board. I know other people who, for one reason or another have left mags loaded for long periods of time, and they worked fine. I know people who had brand new, never used magazines that failed. I know, I'm one of them.

Big Gay Al