Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Carry Cocked and Locked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i carry glock and XD's and always carry one in the pipe, anyother way is asking for trouble. in life or death seconds count. I never unload any of my handguns and i own several, i also make sure that i have one rifle loaded and ready to go. either my AR or AK.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I carry my 1911 (Para-Ord P14.45) it is loaded, cocked and locked. If I am carrying my EAA Witness or Taurus PT92, the hammer is down, the safety is on, and there's a round in the chamber.

The reason I carry the last two with the hammer down, I've discovered the safety comes off too easily when just sitting in my car, or doing every day things. So with them, the added safety of the hammer down is how I prefer it. It doesn't really slow things down any, since the Witness and the Taurus are DA/SA style pistols.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #23

Cocked and locked. At night I empty the chamber and the it is no the floor by my bed.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #24

A number of years ago I spent some time on attachment, I was issued with a 7.65 mm Walther PP, an older model with the lanyard ring on the butt. On retiring for the evening I took the advice of my predecessor who had returned home, loaded the pistol one round in the chamber, hammer down safety on. I then attached a British Army issue lanyard to the pistol and slipped the other end on my wrist. Chucked the bundhook down the bed and then settled in for the night.

What ever happened during the night where ever I went I was assured that the gun when with me. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that any more...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #25

cocked & locked all the time each and every time always ready what's the sense of carrying a gun if your not ready to use it

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #26

It's fine if you are trained and comfortable with it, but when originally designed I doubt that mode of carry was considered (assuming we are talking about a 1911A1 type). Certainly the military don't train to carry condition one, for whatever reason, and I know that some goverment agencies frown on it, but it the individual through training and previous experience is happy the carry empty chamber, hammer back or whatever I don't see a problem with it.................

Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I carry cocked and locked. That would seem safer to me than a Glock or M&P that is carried,,,,, what do they call a loaded striker gun? Anyway my 1911 is cocked and locked when carried, hammer down whem not carried.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
It's fine if you are trained and comfortable with it, but when originally designed I doubt that mode of carry was considered (assuming we are talking about a 1911A1 type). Certainly the military don't train to carry condition one, for whatever reason, and I know that some goverment agencies frown on it, but it the individual through training and previous experience is happy the carry empty chamber, hammer back or whatever I don't see a problem with it.................
Actually, when I was in the army, during times of, "high risk" we carried the 1911A1 cocked and locked. Otherwise, the hammer was down on an empty chamber. But I have no clue what the MPs did.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #29

I can't speak for the US military, but I guess what they don't know won't hurt them. Certainly the British Army wouldn't have it, although there is a history of those in charge not trusting the Tommy, even the bayonets are blunt!..............

Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperranger93 View Post
I never unload any of my handguns and i own several, i also make sure that i have one rifle loaded and ready to go. either my AR or AK.
I hope you have extra magazine springs. Springs were not designed to, nor will they maintain their compression strength when compressed for long periods. I hope you don't leave your semi's cocked also...then you can add firing pin springs to the list of things to have on hand.. also, if a spring becomes too weak to set-off a primer (which I have seen), you are in a worse situation than if you just had to cock it. When I am carrying my PPK or Beretta, I will keep a round in the chamber with de-cocker engaged, other than that there is no need to. Magazines get unloaded and pistol gets decocked. I live in the boonies and have 2 dogs that bark at anything within hearing range. My bedroom is upstairs and I am willing to bet my life that I will be ready. It doesn't take long to rack a 12 ga. slide!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.