Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Carry Cocked and Locked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't have kids and my carry 1911 is also my bedside 1911 so it stays cocked and locked at all times unless it is being fired.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #12

Etho, in your case, why have the safety on? Coming off a dead-sleep and fumbling around for the safety lever can be fatal...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #13

I carry my Springfield 1911A1 cocked and locked. I leave it that way unless I am cleaning it. Too many loadings and unloadings can and will damage the round.

I had an actual failure to feed the other day in my Makarov. I used to load and unload it all the time, and I would just take the round in the chamber and put it back in the mag after racking a fresh one into the slide. One day I was shooting it and the second round failed to feed. I shut it down and took the round out and looked at it and the brass case was scratched badly from going in and out of the mag. So I switched to steel case ammo but I don't load and unload it anymore.

Haven't had anymore problems so far.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varro View Post
Etho, in your case, why have the safety on? Coming off a dead-sleep and fumbling around for the safety lever can be fatal...
......uh no.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1911 style pistol-Cocked and locked all of the time. Even in the safe. That way I have the gun in the exact same condition every time I pick it up. I don't have to think about what condition its in when I might need it.

My Colt mustang I carry differently because of the different safety design.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I leave my primary 1911 in condition one regardless of whether it's riding in a holster or lying on my nightstand. If it's loaded, it's in condition one. My other 1911s sitting in the safe are unloaded.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #17

All my pistols are cocked & locked. Sure it might only take 1 second to chamber it but thats 1 second I saved which might be all I need. Every advantage you can have is important.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chambering a round also takes two hands, while shooting from condition one takes only one.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #19

USP FS .45 / PT1911 both cocked and locked.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I only carry and store my 1911 in condition one. That is the way the weapon was designed. I don't have kids, but I do keep my pistol in a gunvault touch entry next to the bed. I rotate mags every month, rotate rounds every other month to keep everything in good working condition and rotate new ammo stock in about once every 4 to 6 months. I always want to be sure to have the weapon in the condition it needs to go should I need to pull it and get it smoking.

As for storing without the safety in place and having to worry about waking from a "dead sleep"..... You need to know your weapon. You should use the exact same procedure when you draw and fire at the range as you would should you ever need the weapon in a defense situation.

For me, when the weapon is coming to bear on target, being pressed out away from my chest and towards the "threat" the safety is moved to "off" and my finger finds the trigger. When the weapon is empty, or the "threat" neutralized, the weapon is redrawn into my chest, my finger comes off the trigger, the safety is re-engaged if the weapon is still hot, or the magazine is dumped if empty & a new one replaced while the weapon is in tight to my chest. Practice the same motion a few hundred times and it becomes second nature - no need to worry about a safety if you routinely practice using it.