Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do You Carry Cocked and Locked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do You Carry Cocked and Locked?

If you carry cocked and locked, what do you do at the end of the day: clear the weapon and lower the hammer or just leave it ready for tomorrow? What's the pros and cons of each method?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cocked and Locked?

Killer/All

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I mostly carry 1911A1 and BHP Pistols, I carry cocked and Locked the entire time I'm up and about (Condition 1), when I get home and Set the gun in the Safe I download it and keep A LOADED MAG IN PLACE (CONDITION 3) ! Works for me, I've carried this way for over 25 years!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerclowns View Post
If you carry cocked and locked, what do you do at the end of the day: clear the weapon and lower the hammer or just leave it ready for tomorrow? What's the pros and cons of each method?
I assume you are talking 1911 .45 style gun. I do not own one but i do carry glocks and xd's. I always carry cocked and locked so to speak. Always a round chamberd. Who know how much time you will have to react to a bad guy. I dont want to be racking the slide while i'm being shot at or stabbed. To me my gun needs to be ready when i need it. I never unload a round from the chamber not even at home.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #4

I carry my Springfield Armory 1911 EMP Cocked and Locked. Before bed I put it into Condition 3 and it goes into a custom bedside holster / lock next to a SureFire Lumamax L1 Flashlight.

Christopher

Point Blank, LLC
P.O. Box 31
Jackson, MO 63755
www.pointblanktraining.net
christophermoore@pointblanktraining.net

Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #5

My weapon is always hot and ready as every second counts when you need it the most. I unload it when i get home and leave the slide back so i know that there's nothing in the chamber.

_./

Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #6

When I carry a 1911-pattern firearm I carry cocked and locked (I prefer my Milt Sparks Summer Special II holster) and then just leave the gun that way at night. I always press-check it in the morning to make sure nothing changed (nighttime chamber-emptying gnomes, whatever) while it was out of my sight.

- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I carry cocked and locked. I carry a 1911

Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #8

In the 1911A1 format, I've always carried in Cond. #3. Too many reasons to enumerate and certainly do not want to hijack this thread. However, in other variations; there is one in the tube...

Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #9

I carry my 1911 cocked & locked. At the end of the day I will place it in the safe w/ the round in the chamber and I will remove the mag and unload it. If you unchamber the round and then rechamber it every night eventually the force of the rounds impact with the feed ramp can "push" the bullet further into the case causing all kinds of possible problems. Try and avoid rechambering the same round over and over. Unload the mag and change carry mags often to give the magazine springs time to "decompress" don't leave a magazine loaded for a long period of time.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I carry my 1911, it is always cocked and locked, whether it is on my hip or beside my bed. It's the way it was designed to be carried, military policy notwithstanding. I have no kids at home, so I'm quite comfortable with that condition. When I carry something else, it is unloaded in one of my safes.

When I carry one of my other pistols, they are DA / SA, and don't need to be either cocked, or locked. Same with revolvers.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved