Do I need concealed carry? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do I need concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- first a reality check- if you ask a forum full of gun buffs, what do you THINK you will hear?

I see said the blind man

Grog

Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Grog,

Being a fellow Ohioan and former Clevelander, I know of what you speak. CCW in Ohio is not that easy to do if you are running errands or whatnot. Any business that wants to can post the "No Guns" sign, and they do. In those cases, you put the pistol in your glovebox and lock the car. Ohio is an open carry state with restrictions. That means that any municipality, county, township, etc can outlaw open carry. For instance, try walking around downtown Cleveland while open carrying. You will run into trouble then need a lawyer. Parma might be different. It is actually only illegal in Ohio to be concealed carrying in a vehicle but different cities have different laws about concealed weapons while not in a vehicle. Without a CCW permit and in your car, the gun needs to be stored where you have to exit the vehicle to gain access to the gun. Ammo must be stored separately and out of reach from the driver's seat. The gun must not be loaded or in the same storage place as the ammo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #23

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Some links.

Ohio Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Ohio

Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Grog,

Without a CCW permit and in your car, the gun needs to be stored where you have to exit the vehicle to gain access to the gun. Ammo must be stored separately and out of reach from the driver's seat. The gun must not be loaded or in the same storage place as the ammo.
Thanks for the links.

Without a CCW....what if you are driving a pick-up truck? How do I transport it in such a place? In my truck the only place like that would be under the rear passenger seat (Dakota 4 door)...that would be directly under my sons restraint seat.

Grog

Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

T'was I in your shoes, I'd consider investing in one of the vehicle mounted gun safes. I'm fortunate that here in GA I rarely have to leave it in my truck and even more so if the Governor signs the bill that passed yesterday...

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Just wanted to see if you were paying attention...Hells Angels.

I dont know if you guys are joking or being serious. Do you mean to tell me that its ok to take a gun into a school? or that you do it anyway? or that it should be ok?

What do I do with my pistol when it is not allowed in or near someplace?
Grog.
I am not saying do anything illegal but...
Rather be Judged by 12, then carried by 6. Just saying.

Last edited by Shihan; 04-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #27

Quote:

We are moving to South Carolina.
I have not owned a gun but am going to buy one (or two) for home defense and possibly concealed carry. Heres the thing...do I need the concealed carry? I would like to have it if needed but do not expect to carry all that often.

Reasons for...
Driving cross country (during move and once a year).
Completely unfamiliar surroundings and areas.
Home protection (including classes for me and my wife)
Not being able to just run away (what do I tell my 5 year old...you go left and I will go right...meet me at home in half an hour...good luck)

Reasons against????

Thanks, Grog
Hi Grog...Congratulations on your interest in Concealed Carry. I would like to first refer you to this site so you can research state laws, for your move to SC and also for those states you will travel through on the way to SC...

Handgunlaw.us

Next...if you are moving to SC, as soon as you become a resident (a physical location), regardless of reciprocity, you will need to get a SC Concealed Weapons Permit. If you had an Ohio permit it would no longer be valid. If you are in the military, you will be considered a resident, SC Concealed Weapons Permit required. If you have an Ohio permit and just visit SC, then because of reciprocity, you will be allowed to Carry Concealed.

In SC, you may carry a weapon in your car, without having a Concealed Weapons Permit, if the weapon is in the trunk, in the glovebox, or in a console. The weapon may be loaded.

There is no requirement for having a permit inorder to have a weapon in your home.

SC is a "must notify" state if you are stopped by Law Enforcement. You MUST notify if you have a weapon and must present your permit if you have one.

I encourage you to read read read concerning Concealed Carry...Read read read concerning choosing a weapon...Learn the laws of the state in which you will be a resident...TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN...Become proficient with your weapon(s) of choice...Concealed carry is a responsibility and a commitment...If you are serious about being able to defend yourself and your family, then you owe it to yourself to prepare.

The world has become an evil place, with evil people...Prepare for the worse...It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...

Hope this has helped you a bit...

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves. ~Nietzsche

Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #28

Some of this is nuts.

I live in Indiana, where any law-abiding citizen can get a lifetime personal protection permit, and the only places you can't carry are on school property (unless you're there to pick up your kid and it's in your car), Government buildings, post offices, and riverboats.

If you carry a gun into a store with a "No Guns!" sign (and I don't see many, but let's say by accident), you are committing a non-prosecutable offense. The owners can just ask you to leave. If you refuse then, you can be arrested for trespass, but why would you do that?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #29

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I dont know if you guys are joking or being serious. Do you mean to tell me that its ok to take a gun into a school? or that you do it anyway? or that it should be ok?
What do I do with my pistol when it is not allowed in or near someplace?
Grog.
Quote:
Without a CCW....what if you are driving a pick-up truck? How do I transport it in such a place? In my truck the only place like that would be under the rear passenger seat (Dakota 4 door)...that would be directly under my sons restraint seat.
Grog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I am not saying do anything illegal but...
Rather be Judged by 12, then carried by 6. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
The world has become an evil place, with evil people...Prepare for the worse...It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegatoRedrivers View Post
If you carry a gun into a store with a "No Guns!" sign (and I don't see many, but let's say by accident), you are committing a non-prosecutable offense. The owners can just ask you to leave. If you refuse then, you can be arrested for trespass, but why would you do that?
If you are carrying concealed, and there's no metal detector, who knows?

If someone sees your gun while you're carrying concealed, you have broken the law and it doesn't matter where you're standing.
  • Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
  • Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.
  • If you're the bad guy, draw & shoot first. If you're the good guy, draw second and shoot first.
  • Always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH. You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
  • If your opponents didn't have the courtesy to "Count Off!" before beginning, assume that there's one more somewhere.
  • Drop the one with the shotgun first.
  • Always perform a tactical reload and then threat scan 360 degrees.
  • Before you quit the fight, be sure the fight's over. Don't stop to admire your work until somebody with a badge tells you to freeze.
  • You can't miss fast enough to win.
  • Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  • Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. The best example of good training is to never get in a gunfight.

Rules For Un-armed Combat.
1. Never be un-armed.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default To carry or not to carry

Hello people, Here in La. they were trying to pass a Law that you could not be within 1,ooo feet of a school or play ground with a gun. So do you move the highway or the school. Just a thought. actually 2 laws and both failed. Be safe. P S God created every one Equal. It didn't take effect till Colt came along!!!!!!!!!Wills