Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do I need concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
What is the reasoning behind keeping it concealed...why can it not be visible? I am not a show off and do not want to make any one nervous but there seem to be serious repercussions if it shows...why?

Grog.
Some states are just that way, Florida is another with a concealed only policy. Here in GA you may carry either way with a permit...

Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #12

I initially got my CCW with the intention of only carrying every once in a while and had that idea in mind...... now I carry every chance I get after work and on the weekend it has become a part of me as much as range time and keeping current with the gun laws. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Here is my question... and a reason I carry. You stated that you were interested in having a CCL but would not carry all the time. If it is a time that you are NOT carrying, and you get that spooked feeling again, what happens?

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Here is my question... and a reason I carry. You stated that you were interested in having a CCL but would not carry all the time. If it is a time that you are NOT carrying, and you get that spooked feeling again, what happens?
Let me answer your question with one of my own. It seems Like half of the places I frequent...sons school, almost any store, city parks, restaurants, (I dont go to bars and even if I did I understand how stupid that would be) my place of employment, library....etc. What do you do with your handgun? What if you get all the way to the front door and there is a sign saying NO GUNS?

It seems like more trouble than its worth...except for occasions that you know might be risky. Traveling, alone at some storage facility, my own store or auto garage, Hells Angels bar...I just dont expect much trouble picking my son up from elementary school.

Grog

Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
...I just dont expect much trouble picking my son up from elementary school.
Neither did the students at Virginia Tech.

Why do I carry?

Because an armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Neither did the students at Virginia Tech.

Why do I carry?

Because an armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
Not trying to argue here and I do not know the gun laws (one of the reasons I am here) but isn't it illegal to take a gun into a school? Thats kind of my point...it is not allowed at so many places.

Grog

Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #17

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Not trying to argue here and I do not know the gun laws (one of the reasons I am here) but isn't it illegal to take a gun into a school? Thats kind of my point...it is not allowed at so many places.

Grog
If it's illegal then why did the shooter have the gun in school? Does illegal apply only to law abiding citizens?

Why do you think the bastards shoot up "gun free" zones?????

They need a surprise once in a while. Bet the shooting would stop real quick!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #18

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Quote:

It seems like more trouble than its worth...except for occasions that you know might be risky. Hells Angels bar...
Grog

I have a feeling if the HA in your neck of the woods are like any where else, then 1) they aren't worried about you unless you are from a rival M/C, and 2) you are already out gunned.

I also agree with CaneBrake.... IF a crazed shooter caught a HP to the back of the dome piece, other's would think twice

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

OK- first a reality check- if you ask a forum full of gun buffs, what do you THINK you will hear?

OK- to get serious for a minute (am only alloted a few serious minutes a day)

YES- there are places you cannot carry legally. I seriously endeavor to avoid breaking the law, since I am alergic to jail. By Federal alw you may not carry in a post office, courtroom, most Federal buildings, military installations. STATE laws vary state to state. Here in VA I cannot carry in a school (school means k-12) but I CAN legally have one in my vehicle, since I have a CHL. I cannot take a gun into a courtroom, but I can carry one in the State Capitol bldg.

Yes, I usually carry. There is a difference between being paranoid, and understanding what is going on around you. People have been assaulted and killed in about any setting you can name- from Mickey D's parking lot to sitting in church- and any time of day. Does fear of that drive my life? No- but I live in a rural area, with a volunteer fire department a LONG way off- and I have more and larger fire extinguishers than some folks.

Being aware of an imminent threat is your first line of defense- it allows you to AVOID getting into a position that you WILL have to defend yourself. But I carry for the day that I pull into a parking space, and find someone immediately trying to pull my car door open. That DID happen to a friend. The perp had a knife in hand, and really bad luck in chosing victims. Norm is a police officer.

Whether you go armed none, some, most, or all of the time is your call- and it is one of the most personal decisions you can make. Last year I was driving with granddaughter, on way to museum she wanted to visit- and we found ourselves at a traffic light in really BAD neighborhood. My bad- and damn you, GPS! the 13 yr old was checking out the streets, looked over at me, reached over, lifted my jacket, saw the sidearm, smiled, lowered jacket, and sat back in seat. SHE understands.

OK- my minute's up. Need to go get goofy with one of the younguns.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I have a feeling if the HA in your neck of the woods are like any where else, then 1) they aren't worried about you unless you are from a rival M/C, and 2) you are already out gunned.

I also agree with CaneBrake.... IF a crazed shooter caught a HP to the back of the dome piece, other's would think twice
Just wanted to see if you were paying attention...Hells Angels.

I dont know if you guys are joking or being serious. Do you mean to tell me that its ok to take a gun into a school? or that you do it anyway? or that it should be ok?

What do I do with my pistol when it is not allowed in or near someplace?
Grog.