Do I need concealed carry?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Do I need concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do I need concealed carry?

Hi guys.
Let me explain my situation. 25 years ago I worked in downtown Cleveland. One evening I was leaving work...alone and last guy out. I had to drive through a large fenced gate, get out of my car, swing the gate closed and padlock it, get back in my car and go. It was getting dark early...so right around twilight. Something felt wrong and just because I was spooked I turned around...there was a guy sneaking up on me along the parked cars (in the street)....as soon as he knew I had seen him (he was about 50 feet away) he just stood up, turned around and walked away. Scared the poop out of me. A friend took me to the range and showed me the basics of shooting. Fast forward 25 years...

Recently (in January) I took a u-haul type truck half full of boxes and stuff to our storage locker (alone). It was Sunday evening around 8 pm and dark. The storage place is in an industrial parkway and was closed. It was winter so no one was outside. I had that same spooked feeling (like 25 years ago) and it was the longest 90 minutes i have had in a while. I saw no one and left the place ok but it took me longer to unload because of all the looking over my shoulder and around corners. I wished I had a gun...is this a reaonable concealed carry situation?

We are moving to South Carolina.
I have not owned a gun but am going to buy one (or two) for home defense and possibly concealed carry. Heres the thing...do I need the concealed carry? I would like to have it if needed but do not expect to carry all that often.

Reasons for...
Driving cross country (during move and once a year).
Completely unfamiliar surroundings and areas.
Home protection (including classes for me and my wife)
Not being able to just run away (what do I tell my 5 year old...you go left and I will go right...meet me at home in half an hour...good luck)

Reasons against????

Thanks, Grog

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #2

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

I believe that every law abiding citizen should take a course, buy a gun and get a permit. The crime rate would plumit. I am not a proponent of open carry. If everybody open carried, it would be easy to choose a target. It is the fear that someone might be carrying that deters crime. With open carry, if someone sneaks up on you they can see your gun. If you don't see them they might try to grab it. I know that sounds crazy. But, people who go around robbing people in the dark, already have something wrong with them.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

First thought is check state laws before carrying cross country. Not all states reciprocate CCW permit privileges. IE California.

To me reasons for someone to not carry go to the person carrying. Are they trained well enough to handle a gun in a life or death situation? Will they panic and shoot a homeless guy asking for spare change.

Are they responsible enough to be trusted with the gun? A guy here recently brought out his gun after drinking too much and is now in jail awaiting trial for murder.

I feel I am of an age that I am level headed enough to responsibly carry. Unfortunately the state I live in does not agree.

Here is a posting you may want to read.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-11962/

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 04-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

My house has never flooded since it was built 45 years ago, but my neighbor's house has. My wife insists we keep the flood insurance just in case.

That is the same reason you carry... just in case. You hope you never have to use a gun, but you and your loved ones will regret it for the rest of your life if you could have carried, but didn't.

CCW may very well be the most important insurance policy you ever acquire.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

There are people who don't own cars who still have a driver's license. When you need the license (driver's or concealed carry) it's usually too late to take the class, submit the application and wait on the state.

Get the training and the CCW. Then carry — or don't — as you feel the need.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If everybody open carried, it would be easy to choose a target. It is the fear that someone might be carrying that deters crime. With open carry, if someone sneaks up on you they can see your gun. If you don't see them they might try to grab it. I know that sounds crazy. But, people who go around robbing people in the dark, already have something wrong with them.
I believe Wisconsin only allows for open carry, but no concealed. This fear should not be when looking at Wisconsin's history.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I would expect that none of the people that get robbed, raped, assaulted, or worse today actually expected bad things would happen to them.

I feel better knowing I can carry a gun to hopefully avoid bad things happening to me...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-29-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Read this first, then you decide:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-11962/#post272153

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

25 years was a long time ago. I would suggest to get re-acquainted with some handguns. Go to a range, or enroll in a basic handgun course and get some more hands on assistance safety and instruction training from a qualified instructor. This will also give you a chance to find a handgun that fits you and are comfortable with.

You are wanting to obtain a firearm for self and family protection, so once you settle on your personal choice, the transition begins. You will need to familiarize yourself with its' use, handling and function, practice, practice, practice! Firing it on target and able to react quickly in a misfire or FTF situations and get back on target. More importantly, know how to handle and use in a manor that will be to your best advantage in a stressful and threatening situation.

In a stressful situation, with the adrenalin dump, all fine motor skills drop to gross motor skills, everything you do from that moment on is muscle memory and there is no room for error...period.

You see, it is not as simple as just buying a gun and relying on a friend's basic instructions 25 years ago. A lot of things changed in that timespan and there's more to it than just buying a gun. YMMV

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #10

I have a friend with 21 years of army experience. He is now retired and said that he would teach my wife and I the proper military handling/shooting of handguns. The plan is to go to the range (with military guy) and rent some pistols. Get a feel for what we want....as many times as neccessary. Make a purchase(or purchases), then take a class...together. Go to range a few times and then take CCW class. I was hoping to get Ohio CCW before moving. South Carolina is a reciprocity state.

What is the reasoning behind keeping it concealed...why can it not be visible? I am not a show off and do not want to make any one nervous but there seem to be serious repercussions if it shows...why?

Grog.